North west area realignment of sections

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by IJK, Apr 23, 2012.

1. IJK

IJK Member

I see from Parr bands facebook page that the North west area is sorting out the sections to even them out. This is great news for the north west will this be hapeening anywhere else I wonder?

2. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

The Midlands needs sorting out for sure

3. marc71178

marc71178 Member

I know that it is something the MRC have been pushing for for a number of years and kept being turned down by Kapitol - hopefully this means that any restructuring will be allowed in other regions as well now.

4. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

were the NW bands aware of the proposed re-structuring before the the Area contest?

5. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Not of the technicalities, no.

6. stevetrom

Does the re-structuring involve bands being demoted or just more promotions?

7. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

In our section (1st) There was no demotion I don't think. Still promotion from, and to, though.

8. stevetrom

I think we have a more complicated situation in the Midlands.

North west: re-distribute upwards seems sensible
    C - 12
    1 - 11
    2 - 14
    3 - 18
    4 - 25

Midlands: some 1st section bands (my own included) could be a little nervous
    C - 11
    1 - 18
    2 - 10
    3 - 17
    4 - 25

If a re-distribution is required it should be decided BEFORE the next Area contest so all bands know what they must do to retain/improve their grading.

9. Beesa

Beesa Member

Knowing before hand should not make a jot of difference to anything.

How could it?

10. IJK

IJK Member

Personally any restructing needs to take place before the finals weekend when all test pieces are released for 2013.

In the midlands more demotion is not the answer it should stay the same in terms of that 2 down as always.

How I see would be 5 bands go up in 1st section to make champ section 14 with 2 bands being demoted

then normal 2 up for 2nd section to 1st with 2 demoted as always . Then 7 up in the 3rd section included in that the normal 2 so an extra 5 bands in the section 15 total 2nd section.

then the big one 2 demoted from 3rd to 4th as always as only fair on every band. but then 8 going up from 4th including normal 2 which would then mean 3rd section is 18 and 4th section 19 next year.

I may be worng there but just an idea to get the sections abit more even.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    bands
    time
  12. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Might help to know what piece you will be playing on

13. IJK

IJK Member

And no one knows that till mid september 2012

14. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Has there been any official announcements about this? Nothing on Kapitol's web site; is this a change of the National Rules?

15. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

News to me. Although the 4th section in the NW has been huge for years; if every band in the table turned up there'd be something like 33 bands. I assume there'll be more to go up from the 4th, 3rd and 2nd in diminishing proportions?

16. whitewitch

whitewitch Member

we received information that a realinement would take place with the final details for the northwest contest (percussion list, draw pass, etc). it said that after the usual promotions have been decided, there would be a meeting in april to decide the realinement.

last week we received an email saying that (in the second section) the 2 top bands are being promoted (as usual) and the next two bands underneath had been offered Promotion as well. they do not have to accept the Promotion though. there are also no demotions from the second section. if these bands turn the Promotion down, another band will not be offered the place

from what i understand this is the same in every section but i might have been misinformed.

Angela Blythe
    Uppermill Band

17. Lofty Snr

Lofty Snr Member

We were informed at our rehearsal that as well as those of us who have gained promotion, a further four bands have been offered promotion. I assume these are the next four in line? Evidently, if they dont accept promotion, if will not be offered to bands further down the table. I think this would make six extra into section three. I understand that there are no relegations from section three.

Ken Lofthouse. DARWEN.

18. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I've said previously that the NoE region could do with a re-structure, as it stands our sections are:

C - 10 Bands
    1 - 7 Bands
    2 - 8 Bands
    3 - 11 Bands
    4 - 10 Bands

In my opinion, and that's all it is, with 46 registered bands, and hopefully that number will grow, we should have 10 bands each in sections 1-4 and 6 in the championship section

19. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Surely promoting all those bands that aren't ready for the section above will create some very weak sections? much better to have to fight your way up and strengthen your band, surely?

Creating a bottom heavy area is surely for the best in the long run, so promote a 2 extra 4th section bands, 2 extra 3rd section bands, hold the 2nd section, and sadly 1st section needs to see 4 extra coming down. . . that about does it.

20. IJK

IJK Member

Gary I understand what you are saying and for the likes of Yorkshire bands they can work their way up in a matter of years by getting average points at the area contests and get promoted with out even coming in the top 3 but just to highlight the Midlands for one and it has happened in the North west and south west areas in the last couple of years. A band has come 1st this year and last year but still not promoted are you saying that that band are not ready for the 3rd section? Also the likes of Whitwell winning the area in 2009 with a very good band but not getting promoted are you saying they are not ready for the 3rd section? This is all down to the average points system with the bands coming down geting average points of 12 - 15 becasue the sections are so big.

Next if you look at the last couple of years promotions in some of the larger areas the bands that have been promoted may of only came 4th/ 5th and 6th at 3 area contests and never won it or in the prizes do you think they are ready for higher sections?

These are just my thoughts and all the area committees do a great job and do the best for the bands in their areas

21. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

From my experience of the NW Area (of playing in the 3rd and 2nd, and conducting in the 4th), in any given year the top 4-6 bands in the NW 4th section would hold their own quite easily in the 3rd section, and the top 3 or 4 in the third would do OK in the second. It would still be bottom heavy, and I agree that's probably the way it should be, but it's just TOO bottom heavy at the moment. IMHO, of course,

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    bands
    time