North West area championships

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Eileen, Nov 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eileen

Eileen New Member

I have recieved receipt of my entry for my band for the 2008 area championships, it seems that the winter gardens are expecting all bands to have public liability cover to the tune of, minimum, £5million.Surley this is going to cost the bands a fortune. Also they are stating that no instruments, uniforms etc.are to be left within the Winter Gardens, during or after the performance, so where do we leave instrument cases?. has anyone in the North West any comment on this,because i think bands are going to think twice about attending the contest!!!!:confused:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    North West
    Surley
    winter gardens
    bands
  3. MattB

MattB Member

Must be honest when I saw the application form and they're (Kapitol I guess?) are asking each band to pay £15 for tickets or you can't go in and listen I thought hurrah, two adjudicators at last! Base it off 80 bands and thats twelve hundred quid. Now this about public liability! If no instruments/uniforms etc to be left in the Gardens, that also means upgrades in insurance surely? Add in cost of coach (£350ish?), test piece (£50-80) and all of a sudden Blackpool becomes jolly expensive!!

Then the old line gets trotted out about having to double a band's fees if you want two adjudicators like most other regions. Looks like they've found a way round it to me....

If I'm wrong and the added money from players tickets etc is to cover costs, then apologies. Then the question needs asking, if costs have risen so drastically since March, is the Winter Gardens still a viable venue then?

Awaiting backlash from Regional Committee.....!!!!

Matt.

4. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

It's certainly not 2 adjudicators, as our official written pleas this year to the regional committee for them were knocked back, them saying the results wouldn't be any different.

Andy

5. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

Sorry but if you'd all gone to the Regionals Committee Meeting on 16th November, you would've had your chance to voice your opinions on these matters, but being as there were only 5 or 6 bands represented there in person and approximately only 10 apologies for absence received out of a total of I think 83 bands in the Northwest Area, I don't think any of you have any room to comment! If you don't show up and comment, then don't be whinging! RANT OVER!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  6. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Although not involved in the NW area I have to applaud Helen's comments re bands not bothering to attend or even send apologies to meetings.

It really narks me that bands moan and complain but never want to be seen to be getting involved with the running of events.

With regard to the insurance aspect, I doubt when instruments and uniforms were left at the venue they would have had to have been covered by the venue and would have to be covered by the bands policy. I assume there are plenty of signs along the lines of 'The Management accept no responsibility etc etc'.
    You just have to work with your coach driver to get him to return as you come off stage.

As for public liability our bands cover is already at £5 million.

Wow having to pay a whole £15 for 28 tickets,(I assume not each) what a rip off! At the L &SC I believe we pay the best part of £5 per bandsmans ticket.

7. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

Thank you Chunky!
    It takes a lot for me to have a rant but when I gave up my Friday night and a good few hours of my time to go from Huddersfield to Hyde and back again to go to that meeting on behalf of the band, then I see people who weren't there moaning about it, it really winds me up! It's as bad as moaning about politics and not using your vote! GRRR:mad:
    As for the tickets, well they were mentioned at the meeting and it was pointed out to those present that we in the North West do get a dam good deal on tickets in comparison to other Regionals areas. As for the insurance issue isn't £5million a standard policy anyway? Can't comment on the issue of not leaving instruments/case in the venue as I don't remember it being brought up at the meeting.

8. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

£5m is usually one of the standard options (along with £1m) when you take things like this out, and is increasingly becoming a minimum required.

As for leaving things in the Winter Gardens....er....I'm afraid it's rather naive to expect that your belongings are covered by some kind of blanket policy at the venue. The Band's equipment should be covered by their own insurance, and even then you should look at the exclusions - leaving a set of basses in an open room and having them stolen is likely to relieve you of four basses and their replacement costs as they're not always covered. All risks policies can be extremely expensive.

9. David Mann

David Mann Member

No, it cost us less than a tenner to upgrade from £1m to £5m.

10. Eileen

Eileen New Member

Helly you are very lucky you were able to go to the meeting, Iwas in hospital after having had a major operation, and the band were in a concert,but I did send apologies via the web.and it says under no circumstances will any band be allowed to leave any of thier own property (instruments, uniforms etc.) within the Winter Gardens complex. Also paying for bandsmens tickets is not an issue.We are insured as a band but this would have to be an all inclusive insurance, which is very expensive.

11. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

The PLI isn't the problem - it's the all risk insurance on the gear that's the issue, and the caveats that come with it.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    North West
    Surley
    winter gardens
    bands
  13. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

Hi Eileen, I'm sorry you couldn't make it to the meeting due to ill health; it is unfortunate you couldn't go and voice your opinions on these matters as I get the impression you would've liked to. I'm not well up on band/instruments/property insurance so I can't really comment on the costs of it I'm afraid, but I'm sure the committee would be happy to hear from you about it; perhaps you could write them a letter? :)

14. MattB

MattB Member

Oh dear.

It seems some people have taken my original post as a 'moan and a winge' even though I couldn't be bothered to go to the meeting.

First of all, I made observations which are my opinion, which last I knew weren't illegal. Is anyone going to argue that Blackpool isn't getting more expensive? And secondly, it seems that those so incensed about a non-attender moaning and complaining completely missed (or ignored) my closing remarks. I asked what I thought was a legitimate question which nobody has answered!

As someone who is cares about our local banding movement it concerns me when people jump to conclusions like in this post. For one, I would have loved to attend the meeting but with two small kids and no babysitter its a non starter. And, for those who know me will testify, I always try and stay constructive and have never been a 'glass half empty' kind of guy! Moaning and wingeing are not my raison d'etre.

Whatever happened to taking peoples comments on board constructively, without shooting down opinions and forming judgements without facts?

Anyway, consider THIS post a moan and a winge, and here's hoping we can get back on topic now.

Matt.

15. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Not sure where you got that figure from! It is £15 for your bandspersons tickets which is 50p each! That ticket also gets you a discount (50%?) on entry for other sections too.

16. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Thanks for clarifying that Ian. I just sign the cheque get a ticket and turn up!

17. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

If you do any sort of performance in the public domain you should already have public liability insurance. Your insurance should also cover you if anything gets stolen while you are playing too - as far as I'm aware this has never been the responsibility of the venue. If your band's committee haven't sorted a proper insurance policy for your band, then they need their collective heads looking at and I'd suggest you look for another band! In truth nothing has really changed on those two points. You should already have your instruments insured and part of that policy includes some degree of PLI. By putting that in the entry R&G's I guess the organisers are just covering themselves.

The issue of not leaving cases while you are playing is different though and seems harsh if not totally unworkable. Is this actually what is says, or is it just a case of a poorly worded sentence? I haven't been to the Winter Gardens in a dog's age, so I can't remember the set-up there but there must be somewhere to leave kit - at least for the 30 minutes that you'll be registering / playing / packing up? Unless its to do with fire regulations?

Also as a point of order here - I would wager these are all conditions that have been dictated by the venue itself and not the contest organising committee. So to vent our collective spleens at t'committee probably isn't very productive. Whether the committee is choosing the right venue is another matter, but coming from the Midlands where we have had to endure 20 years of c***py venues, I'd much sooner put up with some (not too many though!) inconvenience if it meant playing at a decent venue.

18. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

Sorry to all if I seem to have jumped to conclusions about why people didn't attend the meeting. I work an average of sixty hours a week, attend two band band practices, concerts at weekends and try to have a social and home life in between and I still managed to go because I needed to for my band. I know people have busy lives and that families have to come first. So I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my comments!
    The rant was based on what information I had at the time and perhaps it was a little harsh, however I'm sticking to my guns on the fact that if you don't go to the meetings and voice your opinions on these matters, can you really complain.:confused:
    The viability of the Winter Gardens as our regional contest venue is a good question and certainly a valid one. Where else would we hold it though if not the Winter Gardens. I know that the regional contest each year is becoming more expensive for bands, but surely this is in line with year on year inflation?
    As for the adjudicators situation, this was raised at the meeting and committee members were quick to point out that there are I think four other regional contests taking place on the weekend of March 8th and 9th therefore leaving them with little choice but to have just one adjudicator. Also, at the time of the meeting, ours was the only region to have announced adjudicators for future contests.

19. marc71178

marc71178 Member

Surely though in that case, if they get in early enough for future years (which they appear to have done so far) - they can appoint 2 per section without that other Area excuse being valid?

20. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Preston Guild Hall? That's where it used to be.

The conference centre in Manchester? Salford University? RNCM?

The only advantage of the Winter Gardens is that it has enough halls to have all the sections on the same day, which I'm hugely in favour of. I'm sure this could be done in Salford, though. And it would mean that I never have to go in that poxy Spanish Suite again. :mad:

21. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

The only region to have ANNOUNCED, not the only region to have BOOKED adjudicators. For all we know every region has booked their box-dwellers for the next three years, and that's why the NW could only get one. I would imagine they have to be booked pretty early.

22. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

At least you are getting a decent venue at Blackpool. Our area is held in a sports hall- what a treat that is.

£15 for a set of bandsman's tickets- one ticket for the Open was £15, £25 at Cambridge, £12 at London- again £15 for a band load seems cheap as chips. Total bargain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.