NORTH WEST AREA 3rd and 4th SECTION FANTASY BAND

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Blagger, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Blagger

Blagger Member

Thought that it might be a good idea to start people on their ideal band chosen from players from 3rd and 4th section bands.
    These players tend to be less well known of course -BUT deserve recognition :)
    RULES......... :?: :?:
    Players from NW Area only
    Players from 3rd and 4th (national) only
    FULL bands only- none of that " him from that band in green on Solo Horn"
    Players can play any part - i.e Solo Horn players can play 2nd Horn
    If you dont know peoples' names then use this topic to ask and find out

OK this will take time i guess but keep this topic alive by finding out peoples names

BTW I haven't chosen all of mine yet :oops:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    idea
    NORTH WEST
    AREA 3rd
    people
    bands
  3. Blagger

Blagger Member

Forget the FULL BAND ONLY bit .........thats a big ask isn't it :?
    We'll use numbers of votes to make the final band

4. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

give it a few months and i'll just say all of flixton... :wink:

5. MattB

MattB Member

I would like to nominate our young Eb Bassist Andrew King for a chair on the bass end. This young man, by no means the finished article, is an outstanding player for his age (16), and has the nickname Hardy. His compadre is nicknamed Laurel, which should give you some idea about our Eb bass players! Both young lads, and both mad as hatters!

6. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

cant really do a full band without it being totally biased as ppl dont know enough bands/players..
    so..
    from Hoover (Bolton)
    Garry Talbot (Eb Bass)
    Alan Crawshaw (Bb Bass)
    Stefen Borszchz (no chance at spellin that) (he was on Euph when i was there, but moved to Eb, but im putting him on euph)
    The other guy (who i dont know the name of but plays top euph for them now. quality player)
    Chris Seddon (sop - legend, also nybb and birmingham conservatoire)

7. Paige

Paige Member

hey what about the poor second section???? :cry:

8. Iluvsellers

Iluvsellers New Member

Cuthbert Shiftsby from Lees Silver Prize Imperial Band. The only 2nd baritone player i'd have in my band. Doesn't do too bad for a 97 year old!

Long live Cuthbert!

9. Blagger

Blagger Member

Hey - There's nothing stopping you setting up your own thread :D

10. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

My dad plays for Uppermill Band, they've qualified for the 4th section finals, ive heard them a lot recently, and I thought id nominate a few of their better players!

Chris Gillespie from would be excellent on sop, he's got great style and sound, also the pressure of the contest stage doesnt seem to bother him at all!

Chris's father, Graham Gillespie, a very steady kit player, think he would also be ideal!

Anne Dorman, on flugel, not only is she a great flugel player, but her rendition of Post Horn Gallop (obviously on the Post Horn) is incredible!

Are you looking for a conductor for this band, if so, does he also have to be from these sections?

11. Blagger

Blagger Member

Yep we could have a guy or girl in the middle i guess :)
    Seem a bit short on players at the mo ....but time will tell.
    Keep them coming in :D

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    idea
    NORTH WEST
    AREA 3rd
    people
    bands
  13. Frontman

Frontman Member

I would like to post one or two people for nomination.

Colin Duxbury. Sop @ Goodshaw. Ex Besses Band. MD Stockport Schools Band.
    Emma Nosworthy. Princ Cornet @ Goodshaw. Ex Rep @ Dalewool Auckland and New Zealand National Band.
    Dave Tattersall. Princ Cornet @ Whitworth. Been there all his life.
    David Ashworth Jnr. Tutti Cornet @ Goodshaw. Ex United Co-op Milnrow.
    Dawn Mathews, Back Row @ Boarshurst. Ex Oldham Brass 97.
    Alistair Greenhalgh Flugel @ Nelson Band.
    Ian Dyson, Horn @ Whitworth. Ex Flugel @ Besses Band.
    Sue Lever, Horn @ Boarshurst. Ex Stalybridge.
    Mark Robinson, Horn @ Goodshaw. Been there all his life.
    Paul Dutton. Euph @ Boarshurst. Ex Sellers.
    Andy Blair. Euph @ Boarshurst Ex Oldham Brass 97.
    Mark Nolan, Euph @ Brindle Ex Longridge.
    Ian Roscoe, Bari @ Farnworth. Ex Walkden.
    Kev Bradshaw, Trombone @ Middleton. Ex Milnrow and Salford Uni.
    Bob Mathews, Trom @ Goodshaw. Ex Besses Boys now at Salford Uni.
    Richard Milton, Bass Trom @ Whitworth Ex Besses Band.
    Kyle Harrison E flat Bass @ Nelson. Ex Wingates.
    Phil Tonge B flat Bass @ Middleton. Ex Faireys.
    John Spencer. E flat @ Goodshaw for 61 years.
    Brillo B flat @ Boarshurst. Just because He'll sulk if not mentioned.

Obviously, these are many of the players I have met over the years. Most of which have played along side others in my Cancer Research Charity Band. There are many more worth mentioning like several of the Hoover Bolton friends of mine. Plus bands to numerous to mention.

14. Blagger

Blagger Member

Great :D :D
    Keep them coming.
    We'll wind this up in about one month and I'll publish a band ( provided we have all seats filled that is :shock: )
    Any ties for positions will go to a vote .............

15. Emma Nosworthy!!!

Hi! Miss Nosworthy used to be the conductor for the Jr Manurewa H.S concert band!!! Kia Ora Miss Nosworthy!! We miss you !!! NZ misses you!!! Are we still going to have an exchange program with your school?
    NB: Please !! If you know Miss Nosworthy pass her this message and if this is you please write back!!!

16. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I'll just go for Flixton Band (from jan!)

17. lister89

lister89 Member

Danny Cutlow from timperley on euph. Not forgetting Karen on Trombone, shes very very good. Sid from Timperley on Bass is prob theyre best player, immense!

18. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

Aimee Twist - Rainford Silver (aimee_euph) ... she's probably watching this page waiting for someone to mention her, so I'm going to. ;)

19. Blackleygirl

Blackleygirl New Member

Pam Smith on cornet from Middleton Band - she has a wonderful sexy tone and I think she rocks
    Dave Burgess on back-row cornet from Blackley Band - because every band needs a Dave, not the best player in the world but always there and a lovely bloke too!!
    And finally me on Horn because although I'm not playing for anyone at the minute, I think I was quite good :clap:

20. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

I would like to nominate all of my own band, but I guess that's not in the spirit of the thread, so here's my twopennorth of non-Middleton players!!!

Solo Horn - Anne Stringer (go girlie!) ex Blackley
    Trombones - Alan Swain from all over, and Bernard the undertaker (best rendition of Sweet Gingerbread Man I ever heard!)
    Bass - Alex Smith ex Blackley
    Sop - difficult, coz my all time fave Sop player is Darren Blake but Moston are 1st section so I can't count him so would have to say Norms from Eagley
    Euph - John Ford - best euph player I've heard in the 3rd section
    Cornets - I agree with Blackleygirl, everyone has to have a Dave Burgess in their band!!!!
    Principal Cornet - the top man at Greenfield - and I apologise for not knowing his name. If someone reads this burble, please let me know who he is, thanks.
    Flugel - Keith from Boarshurst. If he doesn't want to play fantasy flugel, perhaps he would like to play fantasy sop?? Keith, the hairs are still stood up on my neck from Dundee....!

Blimey, this is harder than I thought. All my favourite 3rd and 4th section players belong to higher section bands now - Boarshurst, Bolton, Moston, Eagley, Old Hall..... so I cheated a bit. Sorry!

21. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Since we are in 3rd section now (and I previously nominated the whole band anyway lol) from Flixton I would go for:

Horn- Mona Byskov- very classy player
    Cornet - Tom Hylgaard - Mona's Fiance - another great player
    Sop - Simon Morgan
    BBb Bass - Anthony Bartley

Infact we are lucky to have a number of very good players in the band, infact the whole band's great - bring on the areas! :biggrin:

22. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

In My Fantasy band I would have loads form my current band Middleton:
    (Sterlingsop) Pam on Principal Cornet,
    Flugal would be Dave Wall (Lovelyflugle)
    Trombones Kevin Bradshaw and Sarah Mcguire
    (Bazza) Sarah P on baritone
    Euph - Kate Wallwork (Euphiwoo)
    Basses Phil Tonge And Lee Forde
    Mega Players!!!!