North Wales Championships

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Val, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Val

Val Member

The annual contest is taking place this Saturday 21st in Mold - who's going?

A fairly healthy entry of 9 in the 4th section, but the other sections are disappointing - although there should still be a good battle in the 2nd and top sections. My flying visit home has coincided with the contest so I find myself helping out my old band, Rhyl, on Cornet (yuk, not my favourite instrument!)

Anyway, I understand there is a Wetherspoons next door to the venue so hope to see some of you there in celebration or commiseration!

2. dyl

dyl Active Member

Me! And the rest of the Deiniolen gang!

Very!

Not me! I'm designated driver for the day, unfortunately! ;)

3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Really? Blimey. Where?

Presumably not Theatr Clwyd?

4. dyl

dyl Active Member

Ysgol Bryn Coch apparently! Something to do with someone forgetting to book the theatre in Rhyl.......... :confused:

5. $hytalk

$hytalk Member

Very well done to Parr who won the 4th section

6. Frontman

Frontman Member

Any results please?

7. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Chelsea 4 Wolves 0

8. Frontman

Frontman Member

Nice one Steve. Still that sense of humour.

However,

Congrats to Parr St Helens Band for winning North Wales Contest. Well done to Musical Director, Martin Halliwell, 1st prize 2nd time out.

9. dyl

dyl Active Member

From what I remember - didn't have a programme to hand as they'd sold out by the time we got there!

Youth Section:
    1. Beaumaris
    2. Northop
    3. Llanrug
    Best soloist: Solo Cornet Beaumaris I think?

Section 5:
    1. Northop Training Band

Section 4:
    1. Parr St. Helens
    2. Abergynolwyn
    3. ?
    Best March: Llay Welfare
    Soloist: Sop Parr St. Helens

Section 3:
    1. Menai Bridge Porthaethwy
    March: as above!
    Soloist: Solo Cornet Menai Bridge

Section 2:
    1. Deiniolen :)
    2. Llanrug
    March: Llanrug
    Soloist: Solo Cornet Deiniolen (Dylan Hughes)

Best Bass Trom Sections 2 & 3 : Patrick Rimes (Deiniolen, on loan from Menai Bridge for the day - diolch!)

Open Section:
    1. Beaumaris
    2. Point of Ayr
    March: Point of Ayr
    Soloist: Euph - Aled Williams - playing for both Beaumaris and Point - but I think he got the award for his performance with Point.

10. tojo

tojo Member

well done and thanks to aled , superb playing after a long day , outstanding

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Mold
    Cornet
    Wetherspoons
    annual contest
  12. dyl

dyl Active Member

He was, yet again. Da iawn Al!

13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Back to winning ways, Dyl? (... well done, by the way!)

14. Val

Val Member

Dyl, how could you have forgotten the 3rd place in the 4th section? It was RHYL!!!!!!!!! 3rd out of 9 is a great result for a band that have been last in their previous 4 contest outings! A bit nervy on stage so could have been even better!

Really enjoyed the top section between Point and Beaumaris. The latter's performance of Blitz was brilliant - not a test piece enjoyed by the majority of the audience I am sure, but Paul Hughes on 3rd man down was awesome! I just wish they had bands like this in the South of France instead of us having to play with poxy wind bands!

Anyway, my first contest for 4 years and, even though had to play the dreaded cornet, really pleased with the performance. Must say though, my most sober contest EVER - only one lager shandy all day!

15. agreed tojo, total class! i have to say fred also played a blinder!:clap:

16. DannyCollin

DannyCollin Member

Barnsley 1 - 0 Cardiff City

17. stopher

stopher Member

Long day yesterday but pretty enjoyable. Great to see so many bands in Section 4 - maybe one or two would fancy stepping up to keep Menai Bridge company in the 3rd and to make it a contest!

Thnaks to all the other Youth bands, Section 4 bands and the organisers for letting Menai Bridge Youth band compete later on after we had left our music in the bandroom!!!!! Schoolboy error but still was able to let our kids on stage and also give Pat Rimes his debut as a conductor (must have been the youngest stick wagger on the day as he's just turned 18

Liked the hall but found it REALLY HOT on stage when conducting and playing. Had to take my jacket off to play sBlitz (thought it was funny when a few people started talking during the LONG silence at the end!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  18. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

Congrats to all the winners, and well done Aled!

19. Huwsi

Huwsi New Member

Some very good playing throughout the day, Well done to all competing bands :clap:

Aled's Playing was in a different League! I must say, I enjoyed playing Blitz :D

I just hope that there will be more bands in each section next year, not to take anyhting away from from some bands but it's shame to see a single band or 2 bands in a a couple of the sections.

Roll on next year :)

20. hughess

hughess Member

Thanks Matt, really enjoyed the whole build up and the day. (will give you that fiver on sunday) :)

21. daitom

daitom New Member

Great performance yesterday POA, what a SOUND! .. well done everyone :clap:

fiver for Matty? :biggrin:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Mold
    Cornet
    Wetherspoons
    annual contest