North Wales Championships 2006

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by dyl, Nov 18, 2006.

1. dyl

dyl Active Member

@ Rhyl Town Hall, Saturday 18th November 2006

Adjudicator: Roy Sparkes

Youth 6a)
    1. Beaumaris Youth
    Best March : Beaumaris Youth
    Best Soloist: Cornet - Beaumaris (Nicholas Hughes)

Youth 6b)
    1. Menai Bridge Youth
    2. Deiniolen Youth
    3. Llanrug Youth
    Best Hymn Tune: Menai Bridge Youth
    Best Soloist: Euphonium - Deiniolen Youth (Danial Ellis)

Section 4:
    1. Gwernaffield
    2. Llandudno
    3. Nantlle Vale
    Best March: Gwernaffield
    Best Soloist: Soprano - Llandudno

Section 3:
    1. Menai Bridge
    Best March: Menai Bridge
    Best Soloist: Euph - Menai Bridge

Section 2:
    1. Royal Buckley
    2. Porthywaen
    3. Newtown
    Best March: Royal Buckley
    Best Soloist: Cornet - Porthywaen

Open Section:
    1. United Co-Op Yorkshire
    2. Newtown
    3. Deiniolen
    Best March: United Co-Op Yorkshire
    Best Soloist: Cornet - United Co-Op Yorkshire
  2. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

yeah!! well done Leisa and Yorks Coop!!
  3. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Well done to my old band Porthywaen and Im guessing Carol on cornet!! Nice to see them getting silverware again!! Must be cos Im not there!!!!!;)
  4. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Clearly, Richard ha ha!!!
  5. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

YEY!!!! WELL DONE COOP!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Conga-rats to all of you, onwards and upwards and I did toast your sucess with rather a lot of red wine in France!!!!

Brill and well done to tabs for best soloist too!!!!!:clap:
  6. brass journo

brass journo Member

Thanks to everyone for their good wishes - cracking day in Rhyl - thanks to the organisers and especially to William and everyone at Yorkshire Co-op. It was a true team effort and the first of many building blocks.

7. robcav

robcav Member

Well done to all my old pals at the Co-op. We've had a good day at Wilkinsons. Look forward to locking horns with you at Butlins.
    Best wishes,
  8. JR

JR Member

should be good fun -- hope it's more salubrious than Pontins!

all the best

9. Val

Val Member

Congrats to Buckley for winning the second section. First time I've missed the contest for years, as I'm now living in the South of France. However, my band (Rhyl) couldn't compete anyway this year due to lack of players so, as Rhyl couldn't win, am pleased that our neighbours Buckley did!

Ex Flugel, Rhyl Silver
  10. IJK

IJK Member

Good to see the old COOP back in the prizes roll on Malton then!!!!!!

and good to see Tabbs getting the soloist prize for a change !!!!!!!

you must have been blessed by the great lord in the sky..................or just Jesus???

See you soon guys
  11. stopher

stopher Member

Congrats to all the bands competing this weekend!

Pleased that Menai Bridge Youth won the B Youth Section with Bex conducting at her first contest!

Don't know to say whether I'm pleased with Menai Seniors doing the the same as the youth band by winning the 3rd section!

Holywell withdrew on the day to having registration problems. Holywell did ask if we minded an unregistered player playing - we said we didn't mind as long as half of the prize money they would win went to Children in Need which they agreed to do.

Unfortunatley, the contest control said if the player went on stage, the band would be disqualified (but they could play without him) so Holywell decided not to play!

Felt a bit strange going on stage knowing you had won (has a band really come 2nd out of 1?) but gave the perc a chance to muck about in the march without losing the contest for us!
  12. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

That is truly pathetic. I'm embarrassed to be from North Wales when I hear about that sort of nonsense, especially as Holywell is my home town - my mum and dad still live there. Although in the main the people who run contests do a good job, this sort of petty nonsense does nothing for the movement. How exactly did this enforcement of the letter of the law improve the contest? How did it advance or promote banding in North Wales?

Honestly, if there were only 2 bands in the section and both bands agreed it was OK, does it really matter? No offence, but we're not talking about the Area or the Grand Shield here. All they have achieved is to cost Children in Need some money (potentially!) and ruin the contest for both Menai Bridge and Holywell.
  13. leisa

leisa Active Member

yey!! Go Co-op!! :biggrin:
  14. andylockett86

andylockett86 Member

I thought the third section was a bit of a joketoo.just for once could the band assoc. just let holywell play? its meant to be a contest.we just did a glorified concert do you attract more bands to play there though?seemed to be lackin in numbers-good to see an english band cross the border too lol maybe more should come from accoss the divide!
  15. stopher

stopher Member

Don't get me wrong about the N. Wales Assoc - they sent out the rules 7 weeks ago saying what you had to stick to. They offered Holywell the chance to go ahead and play without the unregistered player but they declined.

Bit of a schoolboy error really trying to play an unregistered player but the N. Wales assoc had already told another band prior to the contest that they could not play with an unregistered player and that band did not attend so I suppose they would have been slagged of for having Double standards if they had let Holywell play the player!

As someone pointed out, Holywell knew the rules and in Pontins, managed to have a full band so what had happened in the 2 weeks since?

I'm not having a go at anyone here, just disappointed that everyone seems to have lost out in the end - people attending the contest to listen, Both bands competing, Children in Need to name a few!

Anywaym forget all that, the day itself was pretty good - good laugh in Rhyl Band club after the contest taking the mick out of our "Dafydd" lookalike from Llanelli. Heard a few bands play and really good to Roy Sparkes back in N. Wales again
  16. andylockett86

andylockett86 Member

aye suppose so. yeah rhyl band club was def a good laugh wi dafydd!! sooooooo easy to wind him up. n he was absolutely out of it after 2 pints!
  17. Wanny

Wanny New Member

Right ... I'm going to break my habit of viewing only, actually post something and say congratulations to the lovely lovely Yorkshire Co-op band on a fab and no doubt well-deserved result ...
    ... especially Tabbsley for the soloist prize ... yay!!! :clap: xxx
  18. brass journo

brass journo Member

thanks Wanny

I'm glad I can always rely on you and Kaf, my bestest buds, to realise my wonderfulness!!!
    It was a great day - we did you proud on the drinking stakes!! role on the next contest - oh that'll be this weekend!!!!

19. MickM

MickM Member

Well done Bex :clap: Not bad for your 1st one :D
  20. rebecca

rebecca Member

Cheers Mick, it was all down to the hard work of the band not me! Am well chuffed though!