North Wales Championships 2005 Results

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by dyl, Nov 19, 2005.

1. dyl

dyl Active Member

@ Rhyl Town Hall, Saturday November 19th 2005

Adjudicator: Mr Roy Roe

Youth 6a):
    1. Northop Youth (Karl Stott) - 85 points
    2. Nantlle Vale Youth (Sue Massey) - 81

Best March: Northop Youth

Youth 6b):
    1. Holywell Youth (Fiona Blackwood) - 75 points
    2. Northop Training Band (J Williams) - 74
    3. Porthaethwy Youth (Sue Massey) - 73
    4. Deiniolen Youth (Hefin Jones) - 72

Best Hymn Tune: Porthaethwy Youth
    Best Soloist in Youth Sections: Euphonium, Northop Youth

Section 4:
    1. Deeside Silver (Graham Williams) - 183
    2. Gwernaffield Silver (Milne Robinson) - 181
    3. Llandudno Town (Clive Wolfendale) 180

Best March: Deeside Silver
    Best Soloist: Euphonium, Deeside Silver

Section 3:
    1. Beaumaris B (Paul Hughes) - 186
    2. Porthaethwy (Chris Williams) - 185

Best March: Porthaethwy
    Best Soloist: Cornet, Porthaethwy

Section 2:
    1. Deiniolen (Wynne Williams) - 188
    2. Rhyl Silver (G Westwood) - 185

Best March: Rhyl Silver
    Best Soloist: Euponium, Rhyl Silver
    Best Bass Trombone (Sections 2 & 3): Porthaethwy

Open Section:
    1. Northop Silver (Thomas Wyss) - 193

Best March: Northop Silver
    Best Soloist: Cornet, Northop Silver

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Roy Roe
    @ Rhyl Town Hall
    Nantlle Vale Youth
    Youth 6a
  3. dyl

dyl Active Member

Really pleased with our own performance today - glad we managed to get the disappointment of Harrogate behind us!

However, yet again, it's a very poor turn-out for this once great contest - particularly in Sections 2, 3 and the Open. Anyone'd think there weren't any bands in North Wales.

Well done to all those who turned up, and congratulations to all the prize winners.

4. Di

Di Active Member

Yaaay, well done! :biggrin::clap:

5. stopher

stopher Member

Congratulation to Dyl and the rest of Deiniolen - Fanstastic result and well deserved.

COngrats to Beaumaris B for winning the 3rd.

Realy pleased to have won Best march. COngrats to Bex our top Man, for winning best soloit in section 3 and also to the legendary Doc Morris on Bass Trom for winning best Bass Trom in Section 2 and 3.

Every band has its own character and Dr Alun Morris is an absolute gem - not only did he start most of the band playing when they were in the Junior section, he makes the teas, hoovers the band room, you name it, he does it!!! Can't think of anyone who deserved this prize more today - the guy was nearly in tears on the bus.

Well done to Deeside Band - first time they have competed in a long time I think and won the 4th section.

Also to Holywell who won the Youth B section at their 1st attempt under Fiona - another great result.

As Dyl said, disappointing to see so many bands absent from this contest!

The top section - Beaumaris, Wrexham and Ll@nrug

2nd - Buckley and Conwy

3rd - Harlech and Trefor

4th - Abergynolwyn, Oakley and Holywell.

Can't understand why so many bands in North Wales do not enter - it's on the doorstep, the prize money isn't bad (£500 for 1st in top section, £200 for rest), the trophies are pretty impressive (especally the Shield - looks like its been nicked from the Open!) and you get bragging rights if you win! I know some bands are having problems with players at the moment but why not use the youth players for this one and give someone the experience!

6. stotty74

stotty74 Member

Yeah, well done to everybody today. I didn't get to hear any of the other bands, apart from downstairs, due to our rehearsal and performance in the morning with the youth band and afternoon with the seniors.

Want to say congrats to our training band. This was the first ever contest for a lot of the players, and for them to get 2nd place is a brilliant result, especially when they were all so young. Great work from John Wiliams and Steve Edwards, our Eb and Bb Bass players from the senior band, and the rest of the tutors that give their time freely at Northop.

Also very pleased with the youth band. The last 12 months has seen some incredible performances from the band (3 firsts, 1 second and a silver at the rncm), and its easy for me to see how much they have improved. Leah Jeffcott, our Solo Euph, also won the Best Soloist prize for the second year running. Looking forward to the next 12 months and more success.

Shame about the many withdrawals. No ideas (yet!!) of how to improve attendance. If the prize money doesn't interest the 1st and top section bands, don't know what will in the future. For the bands that didn't attend, is there a reason for it? We haven't gone in the previous 2 years because we were entering Wilkinson's the following day, but this year over 3/4 of the band wanted to do both, so we have done, and i hope we continue to do both.

Anyway, very long day, but looking forward to tomorrow. Good luck everyone going to St Helens.

7. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

My first band, my home town, Buckley didn't attend yesterday, nor did they at Pontins because they didn't have enough players - it's as simple as that. It's the first year they have missed the North Wales Rally since I can remember - and I've been playing since I was 7 (some 18 years ago). I can say that it is very very sad that they are just literally unable to raise a competing band due to sheer lack of numbers (youth band members included Stopher).

8. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

And to Karl (Stotty74) - I'm pretty sure it's more than the last 2 years that the folk from Northop senior band haven't attended this contest.

9. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

Gaz - we were there for the two years before that. Further back than that I don't know.

Daniel Sheard (Northop)

10. stotty74

stotty74 Member

I only joined the band in 2001 - my first contest was at Colwyn Bay, when we won, and then we also went to Llandudno in 2002, again retaining the shield. As i said earlier, we have attended Wilkinson's for the last 2 years, which have been the same weekend, and decided not to do both contests. It was only this year when it was put to a band vote that the majority decided they would like to do both. I also believe that the band attended regularly before that aswell.

11. stopher

stopher Member

Hi Gaz

Wasn't having a go at Buckley at all - I had heard that there had been a few problems with getting players and that Trefor and Harlech are in a similar position (could be wrong) but heard a rumour that a couple of bands were not competing as they were entering St Helens the day after!

If a band is genuinly struggling to get players to enter then I sympathise as Menai Bridge struggled like mad to get a front row due to having lost 3 solo cornets and atotal of ten players since swansea, mainly to University or pressure of exams.

We only managed by bringing 3 in from the junior band for pontins and this contest , finding one or two players in Bangor Uni who were not registered and signing them and borrowing the maximum of 3! The whole band knew how tight it was to get players and still had a perc pull out on thursday night without warning!!!!

Sorry if you took what I said as a dig at your band - it wasn;t intended that way!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Roy Roe
    @ Rhyl Town Hall
    Nantlle Vale Youth
    Youth 6a
  13. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Firstly apologies to Daniel and Karl from Northop for my ill-informed posting.

And sorry to Stopher for being stressed in my post - it wasn't intended, I just guess I'm upset about the state my first band are in at the moment! And thanks for your post also.

Cheers

Gaz

14. Big Gav

Big Gav Member

Congrats to everybody who competed, same faces as always. It is disappointing (again) that the entries are low. To have only 5 bands in the top 3 sections is awful. Can't understand why the other bands don't compete.