North Wales Brass Band Rally 2008

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by stopher, Nov 29, 2008.

1. stopher

stopher Member

Any results through yet? Had to go so missed Deiniolen and Co-Op and the results. Most successful I think the contest has been in terms of bands for a number of years - 15 senior, 1 training plus 5 Youth bands. LONG DAY THOUGH!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    North Wales Brass Band Rally
    Co-Op
    Deiniolen
    results
    terms of bands
  3. Dewi Corn

Dewi Corn New Member

1. Beaumaris (+March +Soloist - Nick Hughes)
    2. Northop
    3. Yorkshire
    4. Deiniolen

4. dyl

dyl Active Member

In addition to the above, here's what i can remember (didn't manage to buy a programme as the desk had closed when we got there):

4th Section:
    3 - Abergynolwyn
    2 - Llandudno
    1 - Parr
    March: Llandudno
    Soloist: Cornet (Parr)

3rd Section:
    3 - Porthaethwy
    2 - Buckley
    1 - Oakely
    March & Soloist (Sop) Oakely

2nd Section:
    3 - Llanrug
    2 - Newtown
    1 - Point of Ayr
    March: PoA
    Soloist: Sop PoA

I might be wrong though - my brain's all flu'd up - not helped by the freezing cold Rhyl weather!

5. stotty74

stotty74 Member

Youth 6A:

1. Beaumaris Youth
    2. Northop Youth
    3. Llanrug Youth

Best March: Beaumaris
    Best Soloist: Sop, Beaumaris

Youth 6B:

1. Nantlle Vale (Sorry if not spelt correctly)

Section 5:

1. Northop Juniors

Great turn out altogether - but such a long day!! Great to see all sections were actually contested, rather than just 1 or 2 bands in each:)

Congrats to all the winners.

6. stopher

stopher Member

Thanks. Enjoyed it but a LONG day - maybe next year if the turnout is the same, think about 2 adjudicators and get rid of the lunch break.

Speaking with a few people, what about a change in venue? I think the actual hall is ok but things like the "warm up room" being clogged up all day, parking being a bit of a nightmare and getting the extra perc up the stairs as it was too big for the lift make it a bit unsuitable. What do you think?

7. its a pretty good venue, unfortunately its in the wrong area for a band contest, no parking and in the middle of a one way system. nice to see a fairly full hall throughout the day. a really enjoyable and really cold day, with some great playing on display in all sections. One result that was left out

BEST BASS TROMBONE IN SECTIONS 2&3 Walter Howie Point Of Ayr colliery. How could you forget that!! :clap: well done wally!

8. stotty74

stotty74 Member

I agree with the change of venue idea. If it is supported like this every year, then it will become a problem. Only problem is it's not always this well attended.

The room on the right as you walk isn't really a warm up room, as i know some were asked to stop playing as it is directly under the hall. Also, my youth band had left their uniforms in there to support our training band, and when they got back another band was in there and had thrown everything off the chairs...sorry don't want to rant so going to stop there!!

What other venues could be used? I don't really know many places in North Wales, so i can't suggest anything really. Rhyl Town Hall has got to be an expensive place to hire surely? I know in the fairly recent past a school in Llandudno and someplace in Colwyn Bay were used? Only played in the school once but it had plenty of changing room, and warm up facilities. Plus i didn't have to pay £7 to park from 9am til past 6pm!!

Best to suggest this at the next meeting? We normally send someone so it could be brought up then, and if there is a general feeling it should be changed it could be looked into more.

Also, did anyone see the page in the programme about the Rhyl Festival being brought back in June 2009? This was alsways a good contest and supported by loads of bands outside of Wales aswell. Great if those bands attending yesterday could support this aswell.

9. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

I think that the school that was used in Llandudno (Ysgol John Bright if I remember correctly) was a decent enough venue - I can't imagine it would have been very expensive to hire for the day either.

Good to see so many bands at the contest, shame I couldn't attend myself - my old man was keeping me updated with results via text though!

10. Roof

Roof New Member

Great if the Rhyl entertainment contest is coming back. William Aston Hall at Glyndwr Uni in Wrexham would make a pretty good venue - lots of space for parking, facilities etc. Might be worth considering in the future.

11. stopher

stopher Member

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    North Wales Brass Band Rally
    Co-Op
    Deiniolen
    results
    terms of bands
  13. stopher

stopher Member

Just out of interest/being sad, what did each band play for the test piece and march
    Open Section

1. Beaumaris - Trittico (James Curnow) and Melody SHop
    2. Northop
    3. Yorkshire
    4. Deiniolen

2nd Section:

1 - Point of Ayr
    2 - Newtown
    3 - Llanrug

3rd Section:

1 - Oakely
    2 - Buckley
    3 - Porthaethwy - Three Saints (Goff Richards) and Call of the Brave (Larsen)

4th Section:
    1 - Parr
    2 - Llandudno
    3 - Abergynolwyn

Section 5
    1. Northop Juniors

Section 6A

1. Beaumaris Youth
    2. Northop Youth
    3. Llanrug Youth

Youth 6B:

1. Nantlle Vale (Sorry if not spelt correctly)

14. jamieow

jamieow Member

we (Northop) played Le Tricot rouge and Pageantry.

Heard Point, they played The Cossack and Purcell Variations.....

15. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Buckley played BB and CF, and St. Austell Suite

16. sniperjp

sniperjp Member

Parr Band ( Us, Woohoo) Played Alan Fernie's, A Royal Mile Suite

17. rebecca

rebecca Member

Llanrug Youth played 'Star Lake' and Lythbank Suite

Llanrug Seniors played 'Ace is High' and Laudate Dominum.'

18. joshy

joshy Member

Point of Ayr Colliery played the Cossack for the march and 'Purcell Variations' for the own choice.

19. joshy

joshy Member

oops someone already said that... :-? sorry lol

20. Sueflugel

Sueflugel New Member

North Wales Rally 2008

As organiser of the N. Wales Annual Rally I thought I would like to respond to some of the comments I have read.

This year the contest has enjoyed much better support than in previous years, and it was great to see a reasonable contest in most sections for a change! Congratulations to all the bands who won prizes.

Venue has always provided us with a challenge. No venue we have ever had has been to the liking of everyone, so on the basis that you can't please all of the people all of the time, I suspect this is always going to be a contentious point.

Schools have all the basic facilities and parking is often available on site, but catering can be a big issue. Schools are no longer cheap to hire, contrary to what a lot of people might suppose. We probably get the Town Hall in Rhyl much cheaper than we could hire a school.

In addition, there is a big advantage to a town centre venue because people are given choices of things to do other than sit and listen to the bands. We may love our banding but not everyone wants to sit in the hall all day. The close proximity of the Town Hall to shops, pubs and eating places is a positive in its favour. Many of the schools we have used in the past have been off the beaten track. The danger with this is that we end up playing to ourselves.

I agree there are negatives to the present venue. The parking is an issue for people. Having said that, I don't know of many town centre venues where parking isn't an issue. Access isn't great, although we do what we can to accommodate coaches to drop off, and there is a coach park nearby. I agree that as a venue, the Pavilion Theatre would be an improvement, but the much increased cost would have to be reflected in the entry fees, maybe the NWBBA annual subscriptions, the cost of admission etc. The fees are NOT £800 to us (someone mentioned this figure in an earlier post). £800 is the charity rate. The NWBBA is not a charity and we are having to pay £1200 for the Festival of Brass, so from this you can see that there is a massive cost differential. The Town Council do provide financial support and may increase this if we used the Pavilion, which by the way, is a move I would be all in favour of.

The muster room downstairs in the Town Hall was a bit chaotic this year as a result of a decision having been made not to hire the Christchurch Hall again. The issue there was availability of stewards. The Church Hall had to be manned all day, and this for various reasons was a problem.

Rhyl has the advantage that it is central for bands from the North West. The Wrexham venue would probably be too far for bands like Harlech, Nantlle and Abergynolwyn.

On the whole, I feel that feedback has been good. The visiting bands from the North West have been very positive about the contest, which is nice. And they have pledged to return next year, which is good for our contest.

We do our best with limited resources in terms of both funds and manpower. The day did drag a bit this year, but it wasn't nearly as bad as some contests I have played at. I can't agree that we should do away with lunch or have two adjudicators. This is a small contest which does not justify two adjudicators. In addition to this, apart from finishing a bit earlier, I can't see a costs/benefit argument in favour of it.

As for doing away with the lunch break, those who are involved in the organising need a break. Remember aswell that most of us working behind the scenes all day were also having to fit in rehearsals to compete with our own bands. Had we not done this, then our bands would probably not have been in a position to support the contest at all.

Thank you all for the support for the event. We can discuss all these issues at the next NWBBA meeting and if it is viable to move to, say, the Pavilion Theatre next year, then this is a move which I would certainly be enthusiastic about. We could keep the Town Council sponsorship to help offset the cost, and car and coach parking will not be such a problem for anyone.

Just a final note, I was very impressed with the quality of our Adjudicator this year. His remarks (in the opinion of most people I have spoken to) were fair and constructive, and I would invite him back any time.

21. hamish5322

hamish5322 New Member

Heard most of the bands from 3rd section upwards. Good contest. For me Point Of Ayr was the performance of the contest. A truly top class performance, easily the band with the best sound and soloists as noted by the adjudicator. Most of the bands in the open section tried to play pieces too demanding for them. Although this is a personal opinion and some of you will no doubt disagree.

22. wilias

wilias New Member

Who was the adjudicator this year?