North of England 4th Section: 1999

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Matt Lawson, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Does anyone know why only FOUR bands entered the 4th section in 1999 at Darlington?

1 - Bearpark & Esh Colliery (A. Hall) - 183
    2 - Trimdon Concert (B. Wright) - 182
    3 - Askam Town (D. Henley) - 179
    4 - Ferryhill Town (S. Robson) - 178

The above results were taken from 4BR.

Was the test piece too hard or were there other factors I may not know about? Does anyone know if there's ever been less than four bands at an area contest?
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2008
  2. kerrytoy

kerrytoy New Member

If I remember rightly the test piece was Indian Summer by Eric Ball
    We won the Yorkshire area contest that year.
  3. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Never heard it.

Is it tough for the 4th section? The usual turnup for Northern Area contest in the 4th section is eight or nine - so they had a really bad year...
  4. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Quite often 4barsrest don't have full details for every contest so there may well have been more entries but they just haven't got any more results to put on their site. Could well be wrong though and if I am, yes, 4 does seem a strangely small number in the 4 the section but didn't the area have a similar number in the 2nd section quite recently.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  5. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

No there was about 11ish bands i think. I remember being at the contest listening, the band my dad was conducting came something like 7th.

Probably just 4barsrest not having full details as the previous post stated.
  6. MartinT

MartinT Member

7. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

According to the tables, Barton came 12th, suggesting 12 bands entered.
  8. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Ah Indian Summer by Eric Ball. That was one of the first test pieces i ever played, if i remember rightly!!!
  9. millie6589

millie6589 Member

it's not particularly tricky, i've played it with a 4th section band in the Isle of Arran and it sounded ok...
  10. Having looked at the above link, how times have changed.

Wonder whatever happened to 'Aunt Bessies East Yorkshire Brass'?

Aunt Bessie went from strength to strength, but the band?

11. They became the East Riding of Yorkshire band, see their web site:

12. bigcol

bigcol Member

I don't have any memories of this contest - Backworth were definitely there as I have the old remarks sheet, but for the life of me can't remember playing it. It isn't hard for the 4th section at all, certainly when you compare it with more modern pieces. However bad tuning is really exposed, especially in the last movement and the link between 3 and 4 (high horns in unison).
  13. on_castors

on_castors Member

I played it about 3 weeks ago! (And Divertimento, another old Eric Ball one!)

Always liked it, school Band used to play it, so that's a measure of how manageable it is, but that said, playing the notes is one thing, doing something a bit more musical is another matter entirely.... and this recent run-through was with a bunch of old cronies of my acquaintance, and some training kids, so it was FAR from musical! ;-)

14. on_castors

on_castors Member

15. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

On a brighter note, the two bands who were promoted from the 3rd section in 2000 will both be competing in the Top Section for the first time this year!
  16. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

That'll be you and us - whoop whoop

17. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

...and 33 entrants in the Fourth Section in L&SC.
  18. dave jake

dave jake Member

We are not there because Dunston wre not registered, we did not start contesting until 2002 and we ve still got a lot to learn.
  19. catherine_S

catherine_S Member

Well I am glad to see that my memories were not altogether correct! I saw "Indian Summer" and thought that we (Swinton) had come last that year. Having followed the link I am delighted to discover that we only came 9th!!

It's a great piece though - a test piece to listen to for choice not because you have to!!
  20. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I do remember when it was Lydian Pictures for the area and it seemed so difficult and impossible to find enough percussionists that there were only a few enter in Scotland that year. Pity really because it wasn't that hard and bands plays pieces like that in the 4th section with no trouble these days.