North east mouthpiece testing

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cornyandy, Jan 13, 2010.

1. cornyandy

cornyandy Member

Hi guys

I'm following threads on mouthpieces and obvoiusly the advices is suck it and see (or rather blow it and see) and to try before I buy

I'm in a rather odd area for music shops (in one which shall remain nameless in Hull I was asked as a customer to explain the difference between a Trumpet and a Cornet by a member of staff I slightly huffily gave him a lecture on every difference I could think of:eek:)

Does anyone know of anywhere within relatively easy reach of the East Riding where I could try some mouthpieces out for my trumpet (I'm already sorted on my cornet -with an G22 of no known orrigin and a dw2b)

2. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

Hi Andrew,

Is Leeds within easy reach of you? Band Supplies carry a very good stock of all things brass related and are staffed by (mainly) brass players.

7 Hunslet Road

Hope this helps,

3. cornyandy

cornyandy Member

Thanks Darryl,

I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and drive into Leeds (a fate I usually avoid at all costs). I'm from Holme on Spalding Moor so It's not too bad to get to the outskirts Its the rest that bothers me.

Maybe train from Goole or Howden but I ramble on.

4. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

I know what you mean about getting into Leeds!! :-D

I'm in York, so I usually get the bus or the train through to Leeds - it's only about 5-10 minutes walk from either bus or train station to Band Supplies.

I can't really help you with park&ride into Leeds, as I don't use it! I suppose there must be some, might be worth checking! :)

5. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I did see an adapter on ebay where you could use the same mouthpiece in both just keep an adapter in your trumpet.
  6. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

I got my last mouthpiece from Banks in York. They did have a few choices and you could always ring to find out what they have and whether they would let you test run them.

Alternatively if you are going to a contest in the near future find out who will be there on the trade stands and see if they will let you "try"