North American Brass Band Computer Rankings

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by DublinBass, Nov 8, 2004.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

*PRELIMARY POLL*

Here are North American Brass Band Computer Rankings
    (as of the Results from th U.S. Open - 7 Nov 2004)
    compiled by Patrick Herak

Rk..Band...............................Pts
    1....BB Central Florida...........0.33
    2....Chicago BB.....................1.89
    3....St. Louis BB....................2.46
    4....BB Columbus..................2.61
    5*..BB Western Reserve........2.67
    6*..Atlantic BB......................5.40
    7*..James Madison Univ BB....5.50
    8....Illinois BB.......................7.67
    9*..Fountain City BB..............6.90
    10..Eastern Iowa BB..............7.92
    11..Cincinnati BB...................8.94
    12..Sheldon Theatre B...........9.10
    13..Sunshine BB..................10.03
    14*Milwaukee Festival..........11.20
    15..Central Ohio BB.............11.49

Rankings are based off of the 2001, 2002, 2003 & 2004 NABBC and 2003, 2004 US Open. More weighting is given to more recent contests and the NABBC are worth twice as much as the US Open. (only the top 15 bands are displayed)

The score is like a golf score, so the lower the better as 0 pts awarded to highest placed North American band

Due to transportation difficulties in attending all contests, there is currently no penalty for not attending a particular contest. For the next poll only bands that have competed in at least 2 of the 6 contests will be included, so the bands with * will be eliminated from the poll unless they compete at the 2005 NABBC. (However, Triangle Brass Band has been removed from the poll because they have only competed in the 2001 NABBC and if they compete in 2005, they still will have only competed in one contest)

(disclaimer - these are not endorsed by NABBA and are just one persons calculations)

2. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

Pat-

I'm curious about how Milwaukee made it on the list at all, when bands like Prairie and Motor City (to use two obvious examples) did not. PBB placed 2nd in the Honors Section at NABBA in '02, 1st in '02, and 3rd(??) in '03, plus fourth in both the '03 and '04 U.S. Opens. When this is compared to Milwaukee's record of one fifth place finish in the '03 Open, it seems like your sytem needs some tweaking.

I'm also curious how your system ranks the different sections in NABBA. I assume that the last-placed band in the Championship section is rated above the top-placed band in Honors, and so on.

Finally, where did you get the NABBA results from, as NABBA seems to have removed the entire results from their website? They currently only list the winners and an abbreviated version of the 2004 results.

-Lothian

3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

All good questions and concerns. 1st I was able to dig up old results from olds score sheets and from 4barsrest.

The system may need some tweaking. Not quite sure yet, but just wanted to get it out there. The only tweaking it may really need (and we'll see if this follows form after the next few contests) is that bands that have only attended one or two contests (ie Mil FB & the other asterixed bands) should not be included in the poll.

One thing to keep in mind is that when Prarie won in 2002 it was against a relatively weak field (only four bands), while when last year Prarie didn't enter there was a field of 6 bands that all rated quite high. (also remember that old contest aren't worth nearly as much as more recent contests) Hopefully, you guys can make this easy and just win the Honors section this year ;) (I think that last years field and the diminishing points for old contests is what killed the BBCs ranking too :( ) (Also, don't forget the discrepency between 4,5&6 at last years Open was very close, and MCBB has finished last the past two years at NABBA)

I thought it would be less fair to not include bands without a warning than to (possibly) rank them higher than they should be. Total judgement call on my part, but by giving fair warning (as already mentioned) I hope that problem will disappear because they will either a) compete thus providing more data or b) not be included in the rankings anymore.

As for how to compare sections. This is something that took a while to find (what I feel is) a relatively fair system. However, not all the championship section bands are ahead of honors and honors ahead of challenge. I tried to include average strength of field and if a band was an outlier in the section they were not given special treatment just for being a section up. Case in Point, the 18th ranked band (not on this list) is the All Star Staff Band (entered once in Championship section, but finished 40 pts out of first in a field of 8 Championship Section Bands)

I hope that answers all your questions,

PJH

P.S. PBB is 16th with 11.99