Norman Law Resigns from Old Silkstone

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by Tracey, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Tracey

Tracey Member

It is with much regret that Old Silkstone Band announces the departure of Norman Law as Musical Director.

Norman was invited to direct the band in February 2000 and was given the remit to take the band to the first section within five years. This he did and more as the band have just played at the Yorkshire Area contect in the Championship Section, the first time it has been at this level in its 145 year history.

Under his direction the band has enjoyed many contest success's, especially in 2003 when the band, then in the second section, won five major contests including the Yorkshire Area, St Helens, Thameside, Buxton and Pontins. He has directed many exciting concerts, two CD's and a tour of Paris and St Florent des Bois.

Ian Askey, Old Silkstone's band manager states "Norman came to the band at a time we needed good direction and stability. We had begun rebuilding the band after it nearly disbanded in the early 90's and he has taken us to heights we could not have imagined at that time. The entire band, past and present, can only thank him for his hard work and we wish him well in his next venture".

Norman thanks the players and committee for all their efforts during his time with the band and expressed " although there is never a good time to leave an organisation, this allows time for the band to find a replacement prior to the next contest season". He continues "I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with the band and all the wonderful experiences we have enjoyed together. I wish the band well for the future".
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  2. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I would just like to say i heard the band at Buxton Contest play :
    Un Vie De Matelot 2 years ago i think they won it and it was the best 2nd section band i had heard for a good number of years.
    What a cracking performance well done:clap: