Non-Toxic Valve Oil

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassneck, Apr 25, 2005.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I went and bought some Wallace Collection non-toxic valve oil recently and a couple of friends tried to tell me that it doesn't work as well as the normal stuff and that it leaves a residue on inner case and valve! :eek: I do know that it had to be introduced after some poor kid managed to swallow some normal oil and was treated for poisoning but ... is this type of oil as bad as it is made out to be?

Oops! :oops: ..... kinda forgot that Smith-Watkins were next to the people from Wallace Collection sales team! Apologies! (I found a link to the oil I bought!)

http://www.wallacebrass.co.uk/Other_Products/Valve_and_Slide_Lubricants/valve_and_slide_lubricants.html

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Anyway, I've now put some of the stuff on my valves to try and give it a test-run! (... fools suffer galdly! ;) ). The sales rep. who claims (as usual) to use the oil said that the WC variety (retails about £5) only needs put on once a week instead of daily or every second day to keep the valves running at optimum performance!

This technological advance (sic) I haven't really asked anyone about and it would be useful for me and others reading to know how it has been road-tested! (pretty-pleeze! :) )

3. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I am disturbed that we are being bossed about by the inmates here. Are people getting thicker? I've been a player for kjdgch years and none of my mates was ever poisened by valve oil. Probably because no one was stupid enough to drink it.

This wasn't W junior was it?
    We're better off without these people!

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've tried searching for any evidence that a kid (or anyone) has actually swallowed valve-oil and nope ... nothing to be found! Back on topic though. I can't find any other manufacturer that has developed a silicon-based valve oil such as John Webb has, and maybe not many here have wanted to gamble on using it! I have used silicon spray in the past to polish valves and slides as it does seem to make the surface smoother prior to coating with oil! However, reading the instructions on the spray cannister, it does warn not to breathe in the vapour or spray. Maybe it's constituents are different to that of the valve oil?

5. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

BUT I suppose non toxic valve oil could be proved handy if you happen to get stuck on a desert island with nothing but ur instrument and were stuck for something to drink. As you do ;)

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

heheheheh! ..... next! ;)

7. HSB

HSB Member

What do you mean oil your valves every other day, or even every day?!

What happened to the good old days when the only time of year valves came out of their cases was so you could gob on them a week before the Area Contest?! Never killed anybody, that....

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... you mean the days when the instrument got scrubbed with carbolic soap? ;)

Probably to sell more valve oil, the recommended use of it is daily! :rolleyes:

BUT ... has nobody on this site tried this non-toxic, silicon based replacement for spit ???