Non-Sovereign cornets

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Okiedokie of Oz, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

A bandmember has asked me to look into people's opinions of cornets other than the infamous Sovereign. I mean, we'd all love to own Sovs but sometimes it isn't a viable options.

So, how do we feel (assuming sovereigns are non existant) about the following

• Challenger (B&S) 3141 pro model, 1 st & 3 rd triggers, large bore, silver plated;
      Courtois (FRA) 106XLV pro model, 1 st & 3 rd triggers, lacquered

2. HBB

HBB Active Member

We've just bought a tonne of courtois instruments for our training band, and the courtois instruments are brilliantly built, nice and secure. We like them anyhoo.

3. bennem

bennem Member

I would go for a yamaha maestro rather than a courtois. For me the Courtois felt like blowing down a drain pipe. I like a bit of resistance.

4. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

im sure ive sadi this onece or twice before, but id go with the yamaha every time, ive just taken mine out and im playing it at band, and its deffinately a welcome change

5. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Nearly our whole cornet section plays on Yamaha Maestro cornets. I had a shot of one and thought it was ok (for a cornet :wink: ). I am using the band's Courtois flugel which is wonderful and I have been told by someone that the cornets are equally as lovely.

(Sorry - not much help :roll: )

6. jameshowell

jameshowell Active Member

Anyone who has played a Taylor Trumpets Zeus Cornet will never look at ANY other cornet the same ever again...

www.taylortrumpets.com

I have a Taylor London trumpet and it is amazing. Well worth a look.

7. jobriant

jobriant Member

I understand from others on this side of the pond that the Kanstul cornets are worth considering as well.

I sit next to a BBb Bass player who uses a Kanstul instrument, and it's an excellent horn.

8. Okiedokie of Oz

Yes, the Yammie Maestro's are great horns, and so are the Kanstuls. But the cost at times to get these instruments here are double the asking price for the two I was aksing about. I am presuming that is why he is pursuing these options.

In a perfect world, I'd say hold out until you can get a better cornet, but as he is about to leave the financial stability of home to pursue an apprenticeship as a chef, maybe money will soon be an issue unless he buys whatever he can now.

9. ratley

ratley Member

I totally agree with bennem - if you blow hard enough you can straighten a Courtois cornet out! The build quality and balance is not up to much ...

Don't know what I'd do without my Sov (it's a proper instrument!), but from the opposition I would always go for a Yammy.

10. Yoofman

Yoofman Member

I'm not a cornet player (obviously!) but having played a Courtois euph on test (I own a Soverign) there's no way I'd switch.

In fact the only instrument I'd ever consider instead of my Soverign would be the Prestige .... dream ...!!

Re cornets - agree with Ratley, Soverigns are the best. Also know people who've played Bach and Yamaha instruments who like those too.

Courtois .... euch! Don't bother ..... the first time I picked up a Courtois euph, I was advised to pull the first valve slide out before I'd even blown a note .... which speaks volumes .... :wink: :lol:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Sovereign
    B&S
    106XLV
    Sovs
    Courtois
  12. Okiedokie of Oz

um excuse me, but I always pull the 1st slide out a bit on on Bessons Euphs and tubas, so what's that got to do with it? If ann instrument down in this weather is only in tune is it's smallest state, then it's no good to me!

13. HBB

HBB Active Member

I dissagree, we've got 7 cornets at band that are courtois, and the build quality is superb (or are you dissagreeing cos it's out band?)

14. ratley

ratley Member

On the contrary HBB - I have been playing now for 29 years and I have yet to find any instrument (in my own personal experience) to better a Sov.

I am proud to own my Sov and consider myself fortunate to have found an instrument that delivers what I need. I'm sure that you will agree that I sound Ok on it.

If you wish to discuss this further please feel free to PM me.

15. HBB

HBB Active Member

Kay

I also play a sovreign, and wouldn't swap it for the world. I'm just saying that I don't think that the Courtois instruments are as bad as you're making out (probably not all your own opinion). Yes they have their upsides and their downsides, but I personally feel that the pros out weigh the cons

Ben (HBB :p)

16. Flugelmahorn

Flugelmahorn Member

Interesting thread this.....

About 5 years ago I was fortunate enough to be in a position where I could afford to buy myself a cornet rather than using band instruments. Having struggled with the build quality of the newer sovereigns and never really feeling at home using the Yamaha Maestros (felt like playing a tin can - but that's just a personal opinion..!) I bought a courtois cornet from Fred Rhodes in Oldham and I have to say that it's definitely the best instrument I've played. I'm very happy with both the build quality and the sound that I get out of it (Courtois 106XLR).

Like I said, this is just a personal opinion of course..... the same make isn't for everyone.

17. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Brilliantly built, I know someone who played on a Courtois cornet and it literally feel to bits on stage while he was playing :D

18. ratley

ratley Member

I rest my case.

19. HBB

HBB Active Member

SO did my mum's Maestro on the contest stage.... you're point being. It could happen to any instrument, the instruments we've got are great.

20. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I think the point to be made is that there is a lot of variation in the build quality and performance of Courtois instruments. Personally I wouldn't use their trombones, but I know a lot of people who do, and I know a number of people who really like their cornets, especially the sop. Surely the best thing to do is get down to a music store and check a couple of them out. I would never buy an instrument without playing it and having a quick look around it's bits and pieces, so send him down to a shop, and get him to try a couple of cornets (even those of the same model number can be very different) and see what he likes.

21. ratley

ratley Member

Quite right Lynchie. I had 6 cornets on approval when I was buying my present instument, and I kept coming back to the one I have now.

On balance, the best flugel I have ever played was a Courtois. It's a shame that the Courtois cornets I have played recently haven't been up to much, which is where my own opinions have come from.

I still know I sound great on my Sovereign and not so great on others - I'm told often enough...

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Sovereign
    B&S
    106XLV
    Sovs
    Courtois