non-marked instruments

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by horn__blower, Jan 3, 2006.

1. horn__blower

horn__blower Member

(sorry mods if this isnt the right place to put this)

I was just wondering how you could find out what make an instrument is if it has absolutely NO markings on it! I found it very strange when i discovered such a thing, and wonder if maybe its been nicked and the marking covered up? - is that possible?
    is it a sign that its bad if theres no markings?

2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Maybe just a cheap Far East / East European instrument rather than nicked?

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- some companies buy instruments from manufacturers (e.g., from the Far East and Germany) which are unbranded and engrave them to sell as their own. And yes, a few companies on eBay sell these instruments.

4. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

My trombone is unmarked, though was bought new from MIR Halesowen, so I don't know if it's just a standard thing for the model. It's definately a Yamaha though.

It may be the case for some models that they only display the make, but not sure if it displays nothing?!

5. Despot

Despot Member

A sign that it may be a cheapo instrument but not nicked!

On some instrumenents, like Yamaha's, the name not always placed somewhere obvious ie the leadpipe not the bell. But there will definately be a Yamaha-style serial number.

6. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

And I'm here to tell ya - the El Cheapos are out there. Trust me - I bought one. Most of the ones I've seen have plays on the name-brand horns in their 'brand-name.'

Selman... supposed to be a Selmer-Conn wannabe? That was my eBay mistake. Granted it was brand-new, but the quality was very sub-par. The valves got chewed up withing the first few days from burrs left in the valve bores. And the lacquer is all but gone from the holding points on the horn... and I can measure the time spent with the horn literally in hours. I figure I have less than 100 hours of actual play time on the instrument before the lacquer gave up. I think I actually spent more time working on the horn to get it playable, than I did actually playing it. It did look nice and sound pretty good though. Pity.

Buyers beware of the no-name El Cheapos. I'm so glad I decided to just suck it up and buy a used 'nice' horn.

7. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

If you're really serious about buying a quality instrument, go to a dealer. Buying an instrument of any quality without playing it first is really not a good idea. Even the best of the name brand instruments can vary between individual instruments (actually, the more hand-work is involved in the manufacture, the more variation there will be).

I'd be very skeptical of an instrument with no manufacturer name on it at all. If it's a used instrument, it's possible that it suffered major damage and was repaired with something that eliminated the mark (for example, I've seen cases where a cornet bell was crushed and the repairer replaced the entire bell section from the last joint forward with an after-market replacement, which might eliminate any marks that were on the original bell).

8. yorkyboy

yorkyboy Member

I find it hard tobelieve that yamaha instruments would be sold without being marked. are you sure you have not been had???

9. Incognito

Incognito Member

My cornet has no markings on it other than the makers name engraved on the second valve. No serial number either as its a one off and identified by my name apparently (just like an Aston Martin "Made in England for John Smith by Aston martin").

A lot of trumpets have very few markings (e.g Schilke). The theory is that engraving the bell is a bad thing to do, but i can't buy that idea myself as two of mine have very ornate engraving and they sound fine.

10. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

used to know a lad who had a sovereign baritone, he'd had the bell replaced after it was crushed, that had no markings, but was definetaly a sovereign.

It played well too... for a baritone??

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    place
    instruments
    instrument
    marking
    sign
  12. horn__blower

horn__blower Member

thanks for the comments - interesting.
    the instrument definitely had no markings, serial number or anything. glad to know its probably not nicked. im not thinkin of buying it - belongs to a friend of mine!

13. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Knew someone once who bought a lacquered instrument (price constraints!) and the lacquer started peeling after a few weeks. Shop asked them if they particularly wanted lacquer, then got the thing silver plated - which filled-in all the engraving & stamps. Result - one anonymous Sovereign euph :icon_smile: