Non-contesting contests

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by weemarky, Nov 24, 2014.

1. weemarky

weemarky Member

Sorry for the daft thread title but I can't think of anything else to call it!

I notice at the LBBA contest this weekend there was an "Unregistered Bands" contest as part of the day. As a conductor of a non-contesting band in the south I would love the chance to take the band on stage at one of these events. I have seen them done in different parts of the country under different guises: Open adjudication, no points awarded, as many guests as you like, guests only from 3rd/4th section bands etc etc.

1st of all, for any other NC band conductors that have done this with their bands, did they find it a useful exercise? Did the band enjoy it? Did it change minds about contesting either to get them into it or put them off it?

2nd, are there any similar contests in the South of England that do this sort of thing. I've checked the SCABA website but there doesn't seem to be much. I'd try and get the band to travel to Leicester but I won't hold out much hope!

Thanks in advance.

Mark

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    LBBA
    Unregistered Bands
    South of England
    non-contesting band
    different guises
  3. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

What about local music festivals? A lot of larger towns host them and there are no set tests/registration rules.

4. LynneW

LynneW Member

I know it's a fair distance for you but Oxfordshire & District Brass Band Association hold two contests a year which includes a section for Unregistered bands. Our next one is an own-choice testpiece and march contest on 1st March 2015 at Woodstock (details on odbba.org). The other contest is an Entertainment contest usually held in October each year.

These contests are open to all bands, not just Oxfordshire ones so you would be very welcome to enter.