Nominations : Web Site of the Month : June 2007

Discussion in 'tMP Website of the Month' started by Di, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Di

Di Active Member

Nominations now being taken for the Web Site of the Month, June 2007.

Please remember the WoM Nomination Guidelines. :)

2. alks

alks Member

New band website

With much pleasure i would like to nominate our new band website!, It only went live last week with a fresh new design and some added features.

www.marshfieldband.co.uk

The site uses a 'horizontal band' style layout and php functionality. Designed to meet the wai 501 web accessibilty guidlines (see. http://www.w3.org/WAI/) and with a clear, clean and unique design.
    Every graphic has been designed by hand for the site, even created a brand new band logo! that will be used for the band from now on. Ive tried to make it work in all browsers and screen sizes so it should look ok? In the future there will be more features added as and when i get time!

So far the band seam to like it....but do you?

Alks

3. gawber

gawber Active Member

I like it and would like to second your nomination!

4. alks

alks Member

thanks!

The old website came joint last twice in the poll. Hopefully if it gets nominated for the poll this version will do better.

Alks.

5. alangiff3

alangiff3 Member

Amingtons Website?

I would like to nominate Amington Bands website :p I think it is very useful to players and visitors, the website can be found at www.amingtonband.co.uk

6. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Seconded by your friends at Gresley Colliery Band:tup

7. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

I would like to nominate http://www.penicuiksilverband.com
    The site's been going for 6 months now. An interesting and detailed website, which is regularly updated.

8. youngblood

youngblood Member

Nomination Not a band site but still a Brass site

This is not a band site but a brass festival site I did not see anywhere that the competition was only open to bands so thought I would nominate it. Interesting site even if it is not able to win.

YB

9. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

This page took quite some time to download initially, are there some "heavy" graphics that could be lightened up?

10. Magic Flute

Not noticed that problem myself, but have emailed the webmaster (Harold Wells) to ask him.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Guidelines.
    WoM
    Web Site
    Month
    WoM Nomination Guidelines
  12. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Clear your browser cache and try again...

13. dyl

dyl Active Member

I'm not convinced it's the graphics - possibly the sound clip that loads up and playes automatically? I've never been a fan of this in band websites - much better imo to have a seperate area for listening to clips - then those who are interested in listening can do so without alienating those who do not want to, or can't because of slow computers.

14. Magic Flute

Sound taken off now!

15. dyl

dyl Active Member

Apart from that I liked the site generally. Seconded.

16. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

It seems to be a recurring theme, download speed for homepages!!

Can it be added to the hint'n'tips for band webmasters...

After uploading your site to your hosting server... CLEAR YOUR CACHE to determine your page download time. If it takes a long time... find out why and fix it!

:)

17. Harold.Wells

Harold.Wells Active Member

Thanks to davidquinlan and dyl.
    I didn't realise that others were having problems with download speed of the Penicuik Silver Band website because of the sound-clip.
    Comments taken on board - sound clip removed from home page and a new page, purely for downloading sound-clips, has been added.

18. alks

alks Member

My best tip for anyone designing a webpage is to test it on a dial up connection. This is exactly what i do! If it works quickly on dial up then the site will be fine for anyone. Too many people use flash and all the jazz on websites and forget that these files are actually quite large esp if they are using a broadband/high speed connection! they forget the people on slower connection speeds.! Also remember to optimize your images.

alks

19. Di

Di Active Member

Just two days to go until the closing date for nominations and so far this month we only have two nominated/seconded web sites.

Come one folks, someone must have a favourite band web site they'd like tp see as winner of the Web Site of the Month. :)

20. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

21. alks

alks Member

I believe there are three nominated/seconded sites so far ?

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Guidelines.
    WoM
    Web Site
    Month
    WoM Nomination Guidelines
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.