Nominations: Award #17 - Band of the Year - tMP Best Band Award

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com "4 years Live" Awards' started by TheMusicMan, Nov 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Award #17 - Band of the Year - tMP Best Band Award

Please nominate which band - in your opinion - has been the 'Band of the Year' during the last 12 months.

Please note: The tMP Band is not eligible for this award!

Please ensure you make absolutely clear which band you nominate and why. Please state the reasons why you are nominating this band. You can, of course, nominate your own band, or another band, but proper reasons must be given as to why your chosen band should be considered. We need to be clear about your choice.

To make your nomination, please simply reply to this thread or to nominate anonymously simply PM any of the tMP team who will then add your nomination to the list.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2006
  2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I'll nominate the Brass Band of Columbus for winnining an unprecedented 10th North American Championship in only 16 appearances.

3. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

grimethorpe for there brilliant performances at both the yorkshire regionals and the national championships

4. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Oldham (Lees) Band.

Won a variety of contests throughout the country including 2nd at the Nationals. A Fourth Section band in the top 200 in the world is outstanding. A band truly on the up.

5. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

I'd like to nominate a Gloucestershire Band for band of the year - the Lydbrook band - for the following reasons:

2nd at the Wof E area which meant qualification to the Championship and a place at the Nationals

a super trip to latvia and Lithuania which was followed by the tragic death of their young solo horn player on their return. The way the band coped with the loss of Tref and have looked after his partner Jo is remarkable and shows their stength of character.

A very impressive 5th place at the National finals in memory of their solo horn player Tref -their first contest out after his untimely death. What a tough weekend that must have been for Jo and the band.

Their unwavering support for the Lydbrook Training Band - many senior band members attend training band regularly to encourage the youngsters and Robert Morgan teaches the very new starters before conducting the training band rehearsal every week. The training band came 2nd at the Crosskeys Contest in Class 1 and today won the March and came 2nd in section D at the GBBA.

Winners of the Gloucestershire Brass Band Association Contest

Thanks

6. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I nominate Brass Band Willebroek, for their European title, and the prolongation of their Belgian title
    Because of them, brass bands are starting to get more recognition in the mainstream Belgian media, and their performances are a big insiration to all other Belgian bands to continuously improve their level.

7. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

I nominate Wingates Band for some of their innovations this year;
    1) recording a CD of music by Michael Nyman.
    2) releasing a single and attempting to be the Christmas No.1.

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'll second Grimey's nomination.

9. Proper Bo!

Proper Bo! New Member

i second wingates

10. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I nominate the Long Eaton SIlver Prize Band.

A remarkable year, in which the band had to deal with the loss of a beloved player, but bounced back to do remarkable things at Regional and National level, and record a CD. All that in their centenary year, too.

Rock on, Satchmo Shaz et al!

11. steve ruck

steve ruck New Member

I'll second that. Very good reason K :clap:

12. I'd like to nominate "Audley Brass Band" - we may not have had conventional success in terms of results, but we have survived a very difficult year which has seen a change in musical director, and have had to cope without a bandroom for the last six months and all the hassle with building control and local planning services.

However, we have had a committed group of players who have stuck with us through thick and thin, and are ready to face 2007 and all the trials and tribulations (and hopefully results) that it will bring.

13. juliedavies

juliedavies New Member

award#17-band of the year

i whould like to nominate my band briton ferry silver band as we just been promoted to 1 section justafter 2years of hard work also its the first time since 1912 we have been there even our eldest member cryed

14. Bones

Bones Member

Seconded. Will put all the reasons into 2 sentences which is more that I could do.

Cheers

Rich

15. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

aww cheers mate :oops:
    It has been a year of ups and downs, thats for sure

16. buglemonkey

buglemonkey New Member

I was going to second this but Rich beat me to it. So if its possible to "third" a nomination - Long Eaton are in my book band of the year without a doubt. Not only are they the nicest bunch of people - they work relentlessly hard, they don't expect anything in return and it has been a difficult year by any stretch! Coping with a huge loss, the family band battled on - none of the Ramplin family missing rehearsals, even through their most difficult of times - the whole band pulls together as one. And it all pays off - Area Champions, National Champions...Shaz you're a legend! What a way to celebrate 100 years of banding. Keep it up LE - you're top class. Both Senior and Training band thrive - lets hope you go from strength to strength - and you've got the right lady in charge!!

Kirk Turner
    Principal Cornet
    The Wigston Band

17. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I'd like to repeate that it is not necessary to second or "third" any nominations. We'd just like to have as much nominations as possible for all categories.

18. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

To help strengthen the BBCs CV for band of the year, I’d like to add the following information in addition to their 2006 North American Brass Band Championship already listed above.

First, the band has regularly chosen by the listeners as a favourite on the ALL BRASS BANDS Internet radio since rankings were released July 2006.

(July 2006 - #1 Sing, Sing, Sing; August 2006 - #5 Sing, Sing, Sing; September 2006 - #11 Sing, Sing, Sing; October 2006 - #3 Sing, Sing, Sing; November 2006 - #3 Prospect & #10 American Civil War Fantasy.)

Also the band has accepted several invitations to perform at prestigous local events, including the Ohio Music Education Association Annual Conference, the Inaugural Ohio Brass Arts Festival, and the Great American Brass Band Festival.

Additionally, they are in the midst of what should turn out to be a fantastic baritone CD.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

19. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

For me it as to be Black Dyke Mills

20. Tinkabell

Tinkabell Member

I would like to nominate Dodworth, Elliot has rebuilt this band with great success, which has been show particularly this year.
    What a great achievement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.