Nominations: Award #17 - Band of the Year - tMP Best Band Award

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by dyl, Nov 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dyl

dyl Active Member

Award #17 - Band of the Year - tMP Best Band Award

Please nominate which band - in your opinion - has been the 'Band of the Year' during the last 12 months.

Please ensure you make absolutely clear which band you nominate and why. Please state the reasons why you are nominating this band. You can, of course, nominate your own band, or another band, but proper reasons must be given as to why your chosen band should be considered. We need to be clear about your choice.

To make your nomination, please simply reply to this thread or to nominate anonymously simply PM John, Roger, Dyl, Ian, Dinie, Peter, Neal or Rachel who will then add your nomination to the list.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    tMP Best Band Award
    Band of the Year
    RoyalBlue
    color
  3. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

I would like to nominate Leyland Band,

I know you probably all know the history behind this, but I will give my reasons anyway.

Over the last 12 months they have had financial troubles, they were on Granada News pleading for help, having to sell instruments to keep afloat, they have had a change of conductor and numerous changes of players, however still kept on fighting.

Despite all the odds, and with great thanks to Mr Doran and his entry into the Cadbury's competition the band still managed a thoroughly deserved win at the National Championships for the first time in the bands history.

This is a true to life Brassed Off story, of a band on their knee's, struggling with both money and players, fighting back to win arguably the brass band movements most prestigious trophy at the National Championships.

To do this all in 12 months is an incredible achievement, and I believe they have earnt this award numorous time over.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

That's a very good nomination Sandman, I was considering nominating them myself.

I would like to nominate the Marsden Band. I think they way they tore it up this year (especially march contests) was amazing!

5. mines gotta be marsden too

6. I would like to nominate the Leyland band as well, simply because I think its amazeing how they have bounced back after they were almost 'struggling to exist' over the past year or so. The area's was the first sign of this determination to prove people wrong and do well, and it was topped off by the nationals win. This is all down to the current members of the band who have stuck with it and stayed with Leyland through high's and low's, those guys deserve the victory!

7. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

I'd have to say Leyland, they've done really well this year :)

8. can i nominate dobcross silver? we've overcome so many players leaving and swapping players around and we've ended up with the best band we've had in ages being able to play a totally different league of pieces that we wouldn't have coped with last year! its been a difficult passed year and i think we've really succeeded and are definitely on the way up!

9. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

The tMP Whit Friday Band for making the Whit Friday CD !

10. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

tMP Pontins band 2005 - for raising over £500, with the help of Vicki & Fi, for Brass Band Aid AND for being such a great bunch of people :clap:

11. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Lots of nominations for tMP bands, but I'd just like to add the tMP Hadleigh band, who pulled off a fantastic full blown concert on an afternoons rehearsal - and raised yet more money for worthwhile causes. As a pointer to how this site has grown over the last 3 years I can think of no better example than the whole Hadleigh event. I was proud to be part of it.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    tMP Best Band Award
    Band of the Year
    RoyalBlue
    color
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

A difficult choice for me, as I have had virtually a year out from attending most contests ... but from all information I have heard from others, I'm plumping for Grimethorpe. Quite a few reliable sources had them as winners (or very close to winners) in both the Open and the Nationals this year and can consider themselves unlucky after winning the Yorkshire region. They get my vote for their return to contesting form.

14. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

The TMP Band.

15. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

If you are British Open and European Champion, organised all kinds of special events for your 150th anniversary and released a couple of excellent CDs, I guess you've earned a nomination as well.

Black Dyke off course ;)

16. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Me, too, but a certain part of my anatomy has never been the same, thanks to Stephen Clapton... and this was the gig that inspired The Ballad of the Wooden Flugel. I second Ian's choice!

[​IMG]

17. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

I'm going to nominate Hepworth as they've just completed the biggest year in their history.

A win at the Grand Shield, 2 excellent performances at the Masters and the Open off pigs of draws, debut appearances at the Open and Sheds (sorry....BRASS) in Concert as well as a solid Area result and victory at Brighouse.

I'm amazingly proud to be part of this band (even when I drop triangles...) and I can't wait to see what happens next year!

Rach aka "Marcie the Shed" x

18. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

oooooh and another nomination from Beaker *(he's just phoned me from work...) for the TMP WEDDING BAND (and the ensuing romance, dancing, curry bungalowing...)

Rach x

19. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

There can only be 1 Band for this award

BLACK DYKE MILLS BAND

20. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

How about Hade Edge?
    The TV program has proved to be very popular. Had lots of great comments about bringing the brass band movement to a wider audience and showing the 'grass roots' side of it.
    I'm sure one of the other guys can explain it better.. i'm too tired! (been writing an essay for what seems like two days solid!)

21. dyl

dyl Active Member

Again folks, fromthe guidelines to this award:

If you want your nomination to be considered for the shortlist, particularly in the case os us having more than 10 entries, then in turn, to get it voted for by the tMPing public, we need proper reasons why you are nominating a particular band ......... merely giving a band name isn't enough.

22. the fish

the fish Member

I would like nominate Jersey Premier Brass, had some great results this year and it costs them a fortune to attend contests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.