Nominations: Award #14 - Solo CD of the Year - tMP Soloist Award

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by TheMusicMan, Nov 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Award #14 - Solo CD of the Year - tMP Soloist Award

Please nominate which Solo CD - in your opinion - should be the recipient of the 'Solo CD of the Year' award - the 'tMP Soloist Award' for the last 12 months NB. please only nominate CDs released in the period Nov '05 to Nov '06.

Please ensure you make absolutely clear which CD you nominate.

To make your nomination, please simply reply to this thread or to nominate anonymously simply PM any of the tMP team who will then add your nomination to the list.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2006
  2. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Euphonium Virtuoso - Steven Mead with Brass band Buizingen
  3. Active Member

Pryor Engagement - Ian Bousfield with Black Dyke Band.
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

5. Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas Member

I'll second this one. Just reviewed it for the BB. Stunning throughout. Just makes you want to practice until the neighbours' fists bleed!

Go to World of Brass and buy it now.

6. 1st Position

1st Position Member

I'll third it. It's awesome. It only wants to make you practice, once you have decided that running over your instrument would be very costly.

Ian Bousfield - Pryor Engagement. The really scary thing is, I heard him live doing some of this stuff last summer, and it was just as amazing live. No trickery here - just a definite virtuostic performance.
  7. Jan H

Instead of seconding and thirding previous nominations, maybe you can come up with some more CD's to be nominated? That will only make the actual voting more interesting!
  8. 1st Position

1st Position Member

Sorry - Like other voting areas on tmp I thought that this thread too, would require a seconder. Just re-read the top part and it appears that it doesn't. Oops! :oops: . However, that doesn't change my mind. Earlier this year, I may have been able to suggest other solo CD's, but having heard the one mentioned above (I won't put it down again in case it counts as a fourthing nomination), it is so far in front of anything else that I would be hard pushed to name anything in the same league.
  9. Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas Member

I'll second the above thread. So, at the risk of fifthing 'Pryor Engagement', I'll shut up. There does seem to be a lot of 'seconding' elsewhere that isn't attracting any ire, though.

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Looking back over the year, there haven't been a vast number of solo cds that have come my way, and the two referred to above have got to be in contention.

To give another option, I would turn again to the trombone, but this time to "In Shining Armour", a double cd featuring Brett Baker and Paul Woodward of Black Dyke, accompanied by the Yorkshire Imperial Urquhart Travel Band. Produced in conjunction with this year's International Trombone Festival in Birmingham, it includes a number of substantial works from both the SA and secular repertoire, together with affectionate performances of some minor classics from the past.
  11. Jan H

In that case, I'd also like to nominate "Shining Waters" by Dutchman Huug Steketee (on cornet), accompanied by the Hepworth Band (and joined by Peter Masseurs on trumpet on 2 tracks as well). Most pieces on the CD were composed by Huug himself. Excellent CD...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.