Nominations: Award #14 - Solo CD of the Year - tMP Soloist Award

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by dyl, Nov 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dyl

dyl Active Member

Award #14 - Solo CD of the Year - tMP Soloist Award

Please nominate which Solo CD - in your opinion - should be the recipient of the 'Solo CD of the Year' award - the 'tMP Soloist Award' for the last 12 months NB. please only nominate CDs released in the period Nov '04 to Nov '05.

Please ensure you make absolutely clear which CD you nominate.

To make your nomination, please simply reply to this thread or to nominate anonymously simply PM John, Roger, Dyl, Ian, Dinie, Peter, Neal or Rachel who will then add your nomination to the list.
  2. dyl

dyl Active Member

I'll start us off then:

'Mellow Moments' - Iwan Williams

Does exactly what it says on the tin - a whole CDs worth of perfect, mellow, flugel playing.
  3. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Virtuoso - Glyn Williams
  4. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Derick Kane Euphonium Album - fantastic!
  5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

6. Garf255

Garf255 New Member

Yep, has to be Glyn Williams - 'virtuoso' for me too.

A great CD by a great talent......IMO.

7. Di

Di Active Member

OK, ok, we get the message. ;) Seriously though, nominations don't need seconding. You can have your say when it comes to voting. :)
  8. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

How many are we allowed to nominate? (suppose it doesn't matter as it's all down to voting anyway!)
    Steven Mead, Locomotion
    David Childs, Welsh Connection

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Erik Gjerdevik's CD. "Erik The Viking". Norwegian tuba player gets my vote in this category. He sounds comfortable regardless of what style of playing is required, and with a great sound in all registers. For any bander who is not used to listening to solo tuba playing, this has to be the album to begin with! Accompanied by Stavanger Band and the Bergen Tuba Quartet.
  10. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Richard Marshall- Blaze
  11. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

steven mead - euphonium magic (2)
  12. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Brilliant CD...gets my vote
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It seems to have been a good year for solo recordings, with Locomotion, Blaze, Erik the Viking and Euphonium Magic 2 already having been nominated.

Another that possibly falls just outside the solo category is the Tuba trubute to Fletch, but the one I would like to nominate is Brett Baker's "Mask" - four relatively recent trombone concerti, played to his customary standard:
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

If I could nominate a second album it would be Aaron VanderWeele & New York Staff Band's "Air'N Variations" album. The Dutch euphonium virtuoso has a smaller sound than many of his peers but oozes lyricism as a result. It's the best playing I've heard from NYSB for quite a while too! Great selection of pieces which shows off his strengths to the max!
  15. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I don't know the CD, but anyway, I don't think Mr. Vanderweele is Dutch... See his biography at ;)
    (just to set the record straight ;) )
  16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

17. The Bass Pig

The Bass Pig New Member

Glynn Williams
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.