Nomination for the biggest mistake at the Areas 2007

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Nanny Ogg, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Member

I would like to nominate myself for this. Guess who walked on and put on her stand the 1st horn part instead of the 2nd. And declared "oh (well it rhymes with "fit"). And had to play from memory as best I could.

Oh well we got 8th an improvement on our 10th place last year. It must have been the unique tacet in places interpretation of the 2nd horn part that moved us up the place.[​IMG]

Can anyone top that?
  2. barrytone

barrytone Member

Major panic when I sat down to perform on the stage, no music! Couldn't remember where I'd put it, last time I could remember having it was in registration. Looked down my bell, inside my uniform, no music. Stood up, determined to chase solo bari player in previous band and borrow his/her music, what a relief, music was on my seat and I'd been sat on it! Bit creased but otherwise in perfect condition, good job, wouldn't have been able to remember it by heart.

Solo euph player's music in band drawn one in Champ section in Midlands flew off his stand just before he was due to start allegro passage after slow opening in Isiah. Conductor held pause to allow him to pick it up but for a time it looked like it would flutter into first row of the stalls. Really felt for him and there was an audiable gasp from the audience when it happened.
  3. MattB

MattB Member

I would like to nominate my whole band for completely muffing up (I'm being polite) the start of the piece to such a degree we came last. Anyone beat that one then?
  4. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I bet they are delighted you have chosen not to keep your opinion within the bandroom!

Will be doing a thorugh search for music, mouthpiece, uniform etc before leaving on Saturday morning! Last 2 or 3 contests I have managed to forget something!
  5. timbloke

timbloke Member

Now there's a phrase I'd forgotten about, don't think I've heard that at all since I've lived in Yorkshire. Think I might start using it again.... :clap:
  6. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

That is motivational! :clap:
  7. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Dam, I thot you were meaning who had the biggest boobs at the area at the weekend, and I was going to say that blonde I seen in the audience.....!!
  8. Terrible Timp

Terrible Timp Member

I think i too can nominate myself after my boob at the Yorkshire 3rd Section Results...when Peggy announced that the band who played number 5 (Dodworth) had won i jumped up and started celebrating !!!.........the only trouble is that i play for Emley and we played 2nd (and i should have know that i did the draw)..........guess who went a bright red colour ???
  9. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

I've got the biggest boobs!!
  10. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

I almost believe that
  11. MattB

MattB Member

To muff is actually a very technical term in our neck of the woods, glad to reintroduce it to the lexicon. By the way, I don't think you can get much more public than muffing up in such a situation, and the band know my feelings anyway. They've not taken offence!

TT- How many shandies had you had before the Emley result then!?!

12. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I'm not 100% certain but this may still be an offence in some parts of the Outer Hebrides. :)
  13. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

and of course there was also Muffing the Mule ;) although I doubt they have many mules up there.
  14. timbloke

timbloke Member

Isn't language strange. I used to hear it a lot when I lived "daaarn saarth" but have never heard it "oop north". Yet your neck of the woods is far closer to me now than then.... :rolleyes:
  15. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

well in the first movement of wayfarer the baritone solo i bluffed the 3rd bar but it made no difference because we WON THE MIDLANDS AREA 1st section:woo :woo
  16. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

I was listening Ian and didn't hear your muff :confused: so I guess it didn't penetrate the padded box either.
    Congrats, only heard the last 4 and two of them were great performances fully deserving of their results.
    As regards biggest boobs, there is a horn player in the unnamed band I depped with.:sup
  17. Terrible Timp

Terrible Timp Member

Only had one pint before results was stopping for the first section !! Hopefully i wont do it at our next contest (Pogson Bray 1 April) or i really might have to hide !!
  18. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Ha ha I was thinking that is sounded quite rude however at my school when we have non- uniform day it's called mufty day and the kids get muffed up. I was a bit baffled the first time I heard that!
  19. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Mufti stems from the days when we had an Empire.

Mufti refers to ordinary clothes, especially when worn by one who normally wears, or has long worn, a military or other uniform.
    The history of this description comes from the term Mufti to describe an official class of men in India who at that time, interpreted the law. Known throughout India as Muftis, they dressed in civilian attire, unlike many other civil servants of the day. So, when an officer changed out of uniform into civilian clothes, it was spoken of as changing into 'mufti'.

Can also mean Maximum Use of Force and Tactical Intervention, a term for prison riot squads, which would be quite useful in most schools, on their mufti days. :cool:

I won't explain what muff means though. :eek:
  20. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Ah Dave, and there was me thinking I was going to be reading about you confessing you had the biggest boobs at the WoE areas! :tongue: