Nomination: CD of the Year - tMP Gramophone Award

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by TheMusicMan, Nov 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Please nominate which - in your opinion - should be the recipient of the theMouthPiece.com 'CD of the Year' award - the 'tMP Gramaphone Award' on tMP during the last 12 months NB. please only nominate CDs released in the period Nov '03 to Nov '04.

Please ensure you make absolutely clear which CD you nominate.

To make your nomination, please simply reply to this thread or to nominate anonymously simply PM John, Roger, Rach, Neal, Peter, Dyl or Ian who will then add your nomination to the list.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2004
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    theMouthPiece.com
    tMP
    Year - tMP Gramophone Award
    tMP Gramaphone Award
    CDs
  3. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

The SA collection by Grimethorpe

4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

So many to choose from.... but for me it has to be:

Kings of Europe. YBS

:)

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Still a few to catch up with ... but the best by far ('scuse the pun) is YBS's Music Of The Spheres. They make the works sound easy to play, which is a compliment and a half to David King and his team. Really good production work on the disc as well.

review now posted on 4barsrest (21/11):-

http://www.4barsrest.com/reviews/cds/cd166.asp

6. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

I nominate Trumpets of the Angels- The Music of Edward Gregson Volume 4.

Played by Black Dyke, some staggering playing from all concerned and all the guests.
    Gregson surely must be one of the great Brass Band composers especially when it comes to 'breaking from the norm' and incorporating non standard Brass band instruments.

A truly class cd! :D

7. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

BUY AS YOU VIEW BRASS BAND CLASSICS VOL 3

8. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Kings Of Europe YBS

9. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Legend - Peter Roberts & YBS

10. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

YBS- King of Europe

and......

Peter Roberts- Legend

11. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

music of the spheres edges it over legend for me, 2 awesome dics. I like trumpets of the angels also.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    theMouthPiece.com
    tMP
    Year - tMP Gramophone Award
    tMP Gramaphone Award
    CDs
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I think "Legend" falls outside the period, but maybe Carl could confirm the release date?

Although I've been impressed with a number of those already nominated, I'd like to broaden the field somewhat, and go for Whitburn's "Reflections of Freedom".

14. dyl

dyl Active Member

Came out around the time of the Areas this year!

15. PeterBale

Sorry, my fault - just seems to have been around for much longer :oops:

16. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Having heard it only within the last few days, it has to be 'Music of the Spheres' for me.

I guess a favourite band cd of all time for many will Dyke's 'Complete Champions' under Peter Parkes. I think that MOTS will become a similar classic. The playing is fantastic as you would expect. Great to hear 'Harrisons Dream' in the studio......that's the highlight of the disc for me. The recording of MOTS itself is great although I prefer the live version. Having been there at the time, the energy and excitement from that first performance was just fantastic and just edges it for me. Their performances of 'Contest Music' and 'Tristan Encounters' will no doubt be looked to for ideas in 10 years when the pieces are used again!

17. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Hey, I'm gonna take the plunge and nominate a brass ensemble CD (Surely not, Dave?), Jazzi Metal by the RSAMD Brass as I reviewed here

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-5091.html

(No disrespect to the other recordings nominated. I dare say, I may well be casting the only vote this gets! :))

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  18. PeterBale

Whether or not it gets any votes, I can endorse Dave's recommendation of this recording - I managed to pick up a cheap copy (there are some advantages of staying in London, Dave!) and greatly enjoyed it ;)

19. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Only one............that's a task even the Mission Impossible team would find daunting :)

For me it's a close choice between Music of the Spheres and The Trumpets of the Angels. Limited to a single choice I vote for MotS.

If there was a separate solo category it would be Legends.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.