Nomination: Best new music of the last 12 months - tMP Musician Award

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by TheMusicMan, Nov 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Please nominate who - in your opinion - has produced the best new piece of music and should be the recipient of 'tMP Musician Award' on tMP during the last 12 months.

Please ensure you make absolutely clear who and which piece of music you nominate.

To make your nomination, please simply reply to this thread or to nominate anonymously simply PM John, Roger, Rach, Neal, Peter, Dyl or Ian who will then add your nomination to the list.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2004
  2. dyl

dyl Active Member

Guess I'll start the ball rolling with the first nomination of these awards!

My vote for best new music goes to tMPs very own Philip Sparke for 'Music of the Spheres'. I was completely blown away the first time I heard it and it has barely left my car CD player or iPod ever since. I've played it that often that my 4 year old son insists on hearing every time we're in the car - only the ending mind you - the fast and loud bit - he even wags his arms in time to the music!

3. impycornet

impycornet Member

I will also nominate 'Music of the Spheres' - Excellent piece

4. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Kenneth Downie- St Magnus.

Has everything you ever want in a test piece, technical bits, gorgeous melodies, exposed solo's and a damn right rock hard piece to pull off!

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Exergy Re-Revisited (Dag Egil Njaa) This piece was commissioned and premiered by Ila Brass Band (Thomas Rimul) at this year's Norwegian Championships and for me, gives hope for progressive, experimental brass band music. The music itself seems a natural extension to Robert Simpson's Energy in more ways than one! Apparently, it (exergy, not the actual music) is based on the 2nd law of thermodynamics and is based on the premise that "The quality of energy is measured by exergy. As energy is used in a process it loses quality, its exergy decreases. There cannot be an "energy crisis" as energy is always conserved. (This is the essence of the first law of thermodynamics.) However exergy is a scarce resource which we are depleting daily." (... as summed up by James Kay). Heheheh! No wonder 4barsrest had difficulty getting to grips with the work. Hmmmm! Time to take my anorak off!!

p.s., I'm still waiting on my copy of Ginnungagap...seeming emptiness (Johan Evenepoel) but I don't think it will be as complex as this work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.