Nomination: Band of the Year - tMP Best Band Award

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by TheMusicMan, Nov 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Please nominate which band - in your opinion - has been the 'Band of the Year' during the last 12 months.

Please ensure you make absolutely clear which band you nominate and why. Please state the reasons why you are nominating this band. You can, of course, nominate your own band, or another band, but proper reasons must be given as to why your chosen band should be considered. We need to be clear about your choice.

To make your nomination, please simply reply to this thread or to nominate anonymously simply PM John, Roger, Rach, Neal, Peter, Dyl or Ian who will then add your nomination to the list.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2004
  2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I nominate the "tMP Pontin's band"

I think they are the latest ground breaking trend setters in the brass banding world, spreading magical tMP love and joy to all!!!
  3. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

The Staffordshire Band
  4. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Can I make 2 nominations...?

I'm going to nominate BOC Brass... for being absolutely leg-end-ary at Whit Fri this year. Ok so they didnt win anything.. but already being hammered when the band met for the 1st time at the 4pm rehearsal is an achievement in itself!!!! and Thomas the Tank will be talked about for years.

and YBS naturally for being generally not bad ;) Another decent contesting year; winning the Yorkshire area (by 3 clear points) and the European Championships, completing a unique DOUBLE hat-trick!! (by 4 clear points) and also the last true All England Masters Title, and also for the production of quality CD's.. including Kings of Europe, 'Legend - Pete Roberts' (which surely must be one of the best solo releases this year) and 'Music of the Spheres' which is generally awesome.
  5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

YBS.... outstanding, awesome band.
    Kings of Europe CD is amazing.... Heard the Peter Roberts 'Legend' CD yesterday; the title of the CD is just spot on; the playing is fantastic...
    All the results from the band this year, as Aidan has said...
    Very impressive.

I just love this band... (always have, always will)

6. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

YBS for me as well
  7. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Think it has to be YBS, although Staffordshire and Ever Ready Band deserve a mention too
  8. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I'm going across to Europe to nominate my band.

Having recently witnessed Stavanger Band in concert I think they are more than worthy of a nomination. The only band (in my opinion) to have revolutionised the 'brass band concert programme' to heights us Brits can only dream about.

9. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

here here!!
  10. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Black Dyke did also very well during the past 12 months - becoming national champions, some excellent performances at other contests and recording some great CD's...
  11. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I would to nominate Reg Vardy (ER) Band, because this year, they have moved up another level and are finally giving the North East some serious representation at a National level. I don't that there are many bands that have made such a marked improvement at the very top level this year.
  12. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

I too am nominating the tMP Pontins band, just for the fact that it was a great social and the band sounded ace!
  13. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

obviously the pontins band

but i want a mention to Barnton Silver Band who have had a tough year, being demoted to 4th section, a heavy amount of severe ilness, babies, deaths, members leaving and plenty of other events.

throughout all these things happening, barnton is still the band it was 12 months ago, if not 2wice the band.

if anyone wants to discuss this furthur for justification.

kel x
  14. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Black Dyke.

Awesome band, awesome people, just well er, awesome.
  15. Di

Di Active Member

I'd like to nominate The Hathern Band for this.

Having had the misfortune to have been placed last in the 2003 area and demoted to the second section for 2004, they haven't let this dampen their spirits.

They started this year with the NEMBBA contest, just a month before the area, at which the test piece was the area test piece. In this contest, they came 2nd, but managed to take prizes for the Best Bass Section and the Best Trombone Player. A nice boost just in time for the area.

Next followed the area where they took First Prize, followed by the Nationals, again where they took First Prize to become 2nd Section National Champions. The Soprano player also took Player of the Day award.

They soon after followed this up with their win at the Wychavon contest, and yet again, also took the Best Soloist award, this time for the euphonium player.

And to cap it all, today they have won the LBBA contest, and yes, again the Best Soloist of the Day, which was awarded to their Principal Cornet.

So from the lows of last place and relegation to the highs of one second place then four consecutive wins, and promotion straight back to the first section for 2005, Hathern is, for me, The Best Band. :-D
  16. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Above Scottish Co-op AND Trusts Waitakere Brass? ;)
  17. stripybananas

stripybananas Member

Hear Hear :p what a year its been too!
  18. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

:-D :-D :-D It certainly has been an amaaaaaazing year, full of bouncing and sore throats :shock: :rolleyes: :D

(P.s - You know this smiley? > :-D < Well.... It's amazing! it's all like wooo hooo! :bounce Lol! sorry :shock: )
  19. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

I second that motion. So many reasons why as well. A true legend was created that day! :-?

Also, has to be Black Dyke. They've made the comeback to the top of the top that we've all been waiting for. It also leaves the door open for really cleaning up in 2005, and they have a team of truly classy musicians around the stand, and one in the middle too!
  20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Fodens Richardson Band. For all the trials and tribulations this band has went through during the last couple of years, it has shown itself to be a true ambassador for banding. A fully committed community programme, exciting concerts and consideration given to it's bandspeople (i.e., allowing them to have a life outside banding with limited number of concerts). And we cannot forget their Open win this year amidst contraversial circumstances, a title that has escaped them for too long!

p.s., it helps too that they included two of my favourites in their recent concert, Simoraine and Carnival Overture (... now, if they would play Shostakovich's January The 9th as well!).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.