Noisy blowing out of spit!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ju33les, Apr 19, 2005.

1. ju33les

ju33les Member

Why, oh why, do some players find it necessary to make such a noise when emptying their instruments of spit?? :mad:

A gentle SILENT blow down the instrument with the valves down usually does the trick. Not all the huffing and puffing that sometimes accompanies this unavoidable task!!

Grrrrrr! Sorry, but it winds me up......:(
  2. ray_ed

ray_ed Member

yeh !!!! me too, there is no need for it at all !! aaargggh !!

especially while ur onstage...concert or the like !:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

you know who you are !
  3. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

LOL, yeah me too!

It really gets to me when players decide to empty the water valve in between movements of a test piece! grrr !
  4. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

is this aimed at any particular instrument?!
  5. ju33les

ju33les Member

All of them....well, obviously not percussion!:tongue:
  6. HBB

HBB Active Member

I don't think it's nice where it's a quiet passage and you blow it nearly into someone's lap! :eek: :rant2:
  7. sugarandspice

fair enough!! think cornets are equally as guilty as other instruments!- I am guilty of making a noise when i remove my 2nd valve slide thing!-it always "clunks" against the metal at the most innapropiate times! Hmmm!!
  8. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

& when the culprit waggles the valves at the same time!!!!!! Agh!!!!!!! :mad:
  9. supersop_1

supersop_1 Account Suspended

Im one of them aforementioned wagglers:oops:
  10. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

arrrghh... nooooo... noo need to blow very much at all people..... just a gentle shake of ya instrument will do the trick.... when u blow too hard some of the water just goes over the hole!

So... gentle blow if u must.... and shake a bit (you know, up and down... obviously).... that's the best way I can discribe it

11. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Just open the water key, move the instrument if need be and let gravity do the rest!

The position of the water keys, near the lowest points of the instrument, tend to be a clue I find!
  12. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Me too!!! What does SHE know? She's a horn for crying out loud!! Probably still wondering what the valves are for! ;)
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

...erm! what about these players who need to turn their instruments anti-clockwise to empty water out of the bell? (... and worst still, hit your instrument when doing so) ... :hammer
  14. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Agree re gravity however on my EEb the main water key is above the lowest point on the slide - instrument also needs to be tipped slightly forwards to get all the gunk out. By the way it's condensation in my instrument not spit.
  15. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Seem to remember an old thread about this one... turns out there's a fancy water key you can get which does the trick better than these old fashioned ones... personally i just hold the key open and shake the trombone... no valves to waggle really.
  16. sugarandspice

Sometimes it has to be done!!- its that or have the really annoying sound that happens when you've got water stuck in your instrument somewhere! Intrument doesnt get hurt tho- and peolpe have more sense than to knock my instrument......have threatened them with pain of death!
  17. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Guilty as charged , at least for turning instrument ! My sov bari collects water in one particular spot that can only be emptied by turning it and tipping it out of bell !!!

With sugarandspice on the other - anyone hits my instrument and a slow and painful death awaits them!!
  18. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Ditto the sov baris at our band - this seems to be a problem with them all.
  19. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I remember having a couple of rehearsals with a well known conductor, and he told us that you never need to blow your instrument at all when releasing water.

It was sooo long ago, I can't remember who it was, but I can remember him telling us this! I'm still guilty of blowing occasionally, but when I do, I always do it gently!!
  20. supersop_1

supersop_1 Account Suspended

You need to blow as hard as you can and wagle your valves like mad.Thats right isnt it?