Noise Cancelling Headphones

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by lynchie, Jan 8, 2006.

1. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Just wondering if anyone knows much about these. I've got to start thinking about what I want for my birthday apparently, and since I think I'm starting to go deaf, these would be pretty useful so I could play my iPod a bit quieter.

So any recommendations, guide prices etc?

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

It all depends on what you mean by noise cancelling headphones ;)

I take it you're talking about closed back headphones that attenuate external sound and have low spill - this is technically a little different than noice cancelling headhones...

For this purpose I use Sennheiser HD25 phones (not the HD25SP) - they sit on your ears though, so may be a little unfortable for prolonged listening (I use them in recording environments where spill is a problem or for mic positioning in noisy rooms). They're about £100 give or take.

If you're an audiophile, take a look at Sony MDR-7509 (but bear inmind these can be had at greatly reduced prices if you're prepared to import from the States by Ebay or similar).

4. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

And if you do mean "noise cancelling" as opposed to "closed back", be aware they only cancel steady noise, such as a flight or maybe road noise on a bus etc, not bursts of sound, very well.

Unfortunately, they don't block out random chatter from students on Youth Band tour coaches, as I learnt to my cost :D

5. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

ROFL.

Could be an expensive mistake :D

6. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Luckily they weren't mine ;)

7. I use my Phillips SBC HS900 closed headphones on band trips. Great for blocking out the noise of my room-mates chronic snoring, unfortunately it didnt do anything about my snoring which woke him up at Gateshead instead! Plus it has the added bonus of making me look like Craaaaig Daaavid :)

8. andy;-)

andy;-) Member

I have a pair of the Bose quite comfort 2 headphones - very expensive but superb if you can justify them and do a lot of travel, especially flying as it is quite remarkable how much of the roar (noise) of the airplane they can silence - allowing you to listen to an iPod at a mid volume.

9. rutty

rutty Active Member

I have some Shure E2C Sound Isolating Earphones. They sit in-ear and are much more aesthetically pleasing than sticky a ruddy-great set of cans on the side of your head. They take some getting used to (you have to contort yourself a bit to get them right in your ear canal properly) but they sound fantastic for the price. £50-£60 is cheap for earphones of this quality ;)

They are totally not suitable for running in though. I walk to work with them in and I can hear every footfall reverberated around my head as the sound travels up my skeleton. It's the same with eating and grinding your teeth - it's like these things are amplified.

These sort of earphones just isolate sound my blocking up your ears, pretty much like sticking your fingers in them. They are actually quite comfortable, once you've picked the right inserts for your ear, and the improvement on sound quality compared to the usual headphones you get with your player is very marked.