no unregistered section soloist prize at bolsover entertainment contest?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by neo_tintin, Oct 3, 2010.

1. neo_tintin

neo_tintin Member

I am just wondering are the bolsover entertainment contest discriminating at unregistered bands?

the rules state all sections have to play a solo!

so why is it only the unregistered section doesnt have a soloist prize?

This should be changed and include the unregistered section!

get it sorted.

Any1 agree?
  2. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I don't see why there should be a soloist prize just because the rules say a solo has to be included in the program.
    It seems odd though that all other sections do get a soloist price, but the unregistered section doesn't. But I wouldn't go as far as calling it "discrimination".
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  3. neo_tintin

neo_tintin Member

it has to be discrimination.

if 4 out of 5 sections get 1 why shouldnt the 5th?
    if the championship section didnt get a solist prize there would be outrage!!

this needs changing.
  4. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Although why would unregistered bands contest?
  5. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I've played umpteen contests where certain types of music are required with no individual prizes for those particular pieces. Discrimination doesn't really apply here, but it does seem a little harsh that encouragement isn't given to unregistered bands for the soloists when prizes for the same are given out in other sections.
  6. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Maybe you should ask the organizers. I really doubt you will be getting the answer on here.
  7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

1: Maybe because you're "unregistered", therefore not subject to the same registration procedures as the other bands and could therefore put in any ringer you fancy as a guest soloist? And yes, I'm aware that's silly, but it's the basis for the borrowed player rules at most contests.

2: If you want the same treatment as the registered bands, why not spend all the money required to register all your players and have all the subsequent hassle of borrowing deps when you can't fill seats like all the registered bands?

3: Although I understand that "unregistered" is NOT synonymous with "non-contesting", is your band's main motivation for entering to win prizes? If so, why not enter a higher section that has the full range of prizes you're seeking?

4: I've conducted at Bolsover and I think it's a great contest; the organisers work hard to innovate and look after the bands that attend. Bit much to whinge at them on a public forum when they've made the effort to include a section for unregistered bands.
  8. neo_tintin

neo_tintin Member

bands are unregistered maybe cos they just reformed/formed. it boosts the players confidence if they win a soloist prize. especially if they never played a solo b4 and win a prize for it. it just seems unfair that even tho the same/similar rules apply.
    just think it would be betta to have a solist prize in all sections.
  9. astreet83

astreet83 Member

I think the important messages that your missing is that the contest is there to help unregistered bands get on stage. It shouldn't matter what the result is, its about getting on the contest stage!!
  10. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Considering that there must have been over 1,000 participants there yesterday (42 bands) plus supports, one minor criticism about lack of a solo prize in one section out of 6 don't seem too bad.

However what amazes me is the way it has been put by the OP - that it's some form of discrimination. Not "can I ask a question?" or "I think it would be better if..." No, straight for the juggler, send in the discrimination lawyers - perhaps it's all those adverts on the TV which bring about this attitude - got someone to blame then you can have some money.

Plus a bit of extra compensation for the members of the three bands that couldn't win a solo cup for hurt feelings.
  11. astreet83

astreet83 Member

This post is very very unnecessary.

Any chance it could be removed mods?

Like Fran stated, its was a great contest and something like this post is spoiling it.
  12. Owen S

Owen S Member

It's wild exaggeration to call the lack of a prize "discrimination", when the correct response would be to contact the organisers and make a friendly suggestion. If course, the response will probably be "We rely on donations for new prizes. If you can donate a cup or some funding, we'd be very grateful."

That said, it's also a wild over-reaction to demand that a post you don't agree with is removed. Censorship should be restricted to posts that are highly offensive or trolling.
  13. astreet83

astreet83 Member

Owen, I understand your point but I'm on the contest support team, and I don't want to see any bad vibes about the contest.

Plus, I didn't demand it was removed I asked if there was "any chance" which is completly different to demanding.
  14. HowarthBrass

HowarthBrass Member

Wouldn't it have been a good idea to have a word with one of the organisers, rather than ranting on tmp with garbage like, 'get it sorted.
    Who do you think you are!
    The management team did a fantastic job yesterday.
    Well done Carol and the team for all your hard work.

Mark H.
  15. Owen S

Owen S Member

Sure. I apologise for saying "demand", rather than "request", as there is a significant difference. All the same, my point still stands: posts shouldn't be deleted if they're unreasonable criticism. It isn't even in the interests of the contest to have it deleted either, as all the responses in this thread are great publicity.
  16. Pav

Pav Member

Clear discrimination against jugglers. Now, if you'd said mime artists...
  17. HowarthBrass

HowarthBrass Member

Text speak

Maybe an idea if you didn't use text speak.
    Check out Tmp rule 4(e)

Mark H.
  18. Graham6573

Graham6573 Member

If there had been a prize, who would you have given it to? I know who I would have chosen ;)

Anyone who heard all three care to comment - it might even make the soloists' day if they read this!
  19. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

For goodness sake neo-tintin...!
    I'd just like to say congratulations to Stone Town band who I believe won the section. :clap: I teach a couple of the players in the band and know the amount of effort they have put into preparing for this competition - only their second including a first time out on Whit Friday
    What a hoo-ha over a soloist prize - I bet the band were over the moon with the result irrespective! By the way neo-tintin, did you take part yourself and why the uproar? Were you a soloist? Just curious
    - I just usually expect this kind of rant after the areas/nationals/open, etc not a great competition like Bolsover! :-?
  20. neo_tintin

neo_tintin Member

first of all i wasnt meaning anything by any of my comments on here, the contest was fantastic.

the organisers did a fantastic job and it was a good day by all.

i did not mean anything by the comment "get it sorted"

it was said in a cheaky way with a smile on my face.

and your right the lower sections do desearve to have a prize. and the commitee need aproaching the right way.

i personally didnt hear 2 of the bands so dont know how they played. congratulations to all 3 bands in this section and all bands that played.

again i applogise if this thread annoyed any1.