No School - Woo Hoo!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DublinBass, Feb 5, 2007.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

School was canceled today because it is -3 degrees out (that's about -20 C if I have my conversions right)!!

Do they ever cancel school in the UK, Australia, NZ, etc... for weather?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    school
    School - Woo Hoo
    degrees
    conversions
    weather
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Aye, when there is a layer of 0.00005mm of snow, sometime shortly after they have closed the roads.

0.0001mm of snow and the entire UK comes to a grinding halt.

4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

They cancel everything as soon as it drops below freezing and has a smattering of snow in the UK! ;)

5. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I never got to miss a day of school because of snow :mad:...the one time that it did snow on a school day my mother made me go anyway because we only lived up the road...

School was cancelled once because the heating broke though - that was exciting! :rolleyes:

6. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Quite right too. :tongue:

When ah were nobbut a lad, ah can remember going to school when t'snow were up to me knees. Mind, I were only in t'infants at the time so me knees weren't that far off t'ground. Still, must have been a good 9 or so inches deep. Eee, them were t'days! :tongue:

Sorry, I seem to have slipped into a Hovis advert for some reason! :)

7. On teaching placement at the moment, and a few weeks ago when we had the bad wind (weather wise I mean :oops:), local schools were closed due to tiles on the roof flying off and attacking innocent ( i use that in the loosest sense of the word) children. Exciting though!

8. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

That happened to me the day after my 15th birthday! I was delighted- a birthday present of being told not to bother going to school the next day! AND I missed physics!

9. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Back in the old days when I was an elfin tot skipping my way to school, we regularly got sent home due to snow. Mind you I grew up in the wilds of wildest rural Shropshire where people were reputed to either eat or marry their sisters, and the weather was like no-where else on earth.
    BMB
    xx

10. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Those "up north" may have seen this on telly, My school had a aspethos (however that's spelt - Mr Sparke?). We had the whole emergancy services out on mass. One muppet decided to throw his shoe around a corridor and manage to knock a whole in a ceiling tile! Blimey the choas, Kids hosed down by the fire service the works!! Still they closed and sealed off that corridor, didn't get a day off tho!

G

11. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I cannot remember ever having a day off from school because of the weather. There was one time that a lot of people were late, because all the roads were extremely slippery because of ice (most student in my secondary school came to school by bike).

I had a couple of days off when the teachers went on strike though :D

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    school
    School - Woo Hoo
    degrees
    conversions
    weather
  13. six pints

six pints Active Member

lots of people in my high schools lived in the middle of nowhere, so whereever it rained fairly hard they got sent home, but I didnt so we had to stay. Of course, noone would really notice if u slipped off tho...

14. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Reminds me of the 'hurricane' in 1987...My mum still took me to school, we had to climb over trees and most peoples roofs blew away...but my mum still got me to school on time!

A couple of yers ago the snow was so bad round here....maybe 2 inches.... the whole road system siezed up! God knows what would have happened if we'd had a serious amount of snow?!

15. Di

Di Active Member

Couple of years ago? Wasn't that when it snowed, melted, then froze to a skating rink the snowed on top again? That WAS a nasty day.

16. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I still remember the FIVE HOUR slither-fest that was my drive back home to Leicester from Coventry.

Best thing was the rain and subsequant ice came at about 2 in the afternoon (IIRC) and at 9:30 as I was crawling along the ungritted inside lane of the M69 they were just startgin to grit the other carriageway. So it only took seven hours to respond. Not too bad really :rolleyes:

17. DublinBass

off again today.

0 F (-18 C?)

18. Di

Di Active Member

Gosh, that's a bit chilly, but aren't you hardy souls used to those kinds of temperatures over there?

19. DublinBass

Yeah...it's well warmer than normal because of Global Warming ;)

20. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

When I was in the Army, we got sent to Kosovo over Xmas and Millenium. I can remember walking about a 1/4 of a mile wrapped in a towel to go have a shower in -32 degrees celsius. The British moved in to a campsite that the Canadians left because of the extreme winter conditions? We had been living in an old lunatic asylum and we'd just got the heating fixed!!!

21. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Garry? It's Asbestos mate. :rolleyes:

I was never allowed any time off school (unless the school was actually shut, which only happened once every blue flood cos the boiler broke down) because everyone knew that the snow could be 18feet thick and my step-dad could still manage to drive through it. I've still not met anyone yet who could drive through conditions he could!

It was a pain...the school would be nigh on empty, and there would be me, sat there, the entire teaching staff giving me their undivided attention, me, Billy no-mates. :(

All together now...

Aaaawwwww!! :rolleyes:

But yeah, just to echo what John said...why does the entire country grind to a shuddering halt just because we have a heavy frost or less than 1cm of snow?? It beats me. The swedes deal with 6 foot of the stuff every day of the year just about and yet in this country we come to a standstill at the merest hint of the white stuff. It really gets my goat.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  22. MissBraz

MissBraz Member

Oh MY GOd!! I just listened to thenews report on radio 1 and they are expecting loads of SNOW!!!!! Especilly where i live!!! I could not be any happier!!!!! hahaha! So now coursework that i was supposed to be doing is getting put aside!!! hehe!!!
    x:D :D :D :D :D