No "Radio 2 Young Brass Soloist" for 2008

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Di, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Di

Di Active Member

What a shame for all those budding young soloists.

I've read this on the Radio two site:

I can't help but asking why though. I'm afraid I've read/heard very little of the goings on about BBC competitions but vaguely understand the problem to be related to "phone in" competitions.

The Young Brass Sololist competition doesn't involve such a process. There are musicians playing to an audience, which includes a panel of adjudicators. The adjudicators alone are responsible for the results.
  2. postie

postie Member

This probably has also to do with the big cutbacks that are happening at the BBC. Just recently announced that proposed extension of local radio has been postponed. I am afraid this maybe another victim.
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

This does seem a bit weird as applications were advertised recently ... but the Radio2 link has been removed.
  4. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

It will be something to do with financial cutbacks. Auntie will be wanting to save cash from any place possible to help fund such things as Johnathon Ross's 18 million pound contract, various "hilarious" comedy shows and frequent, pointless and highly expensive weather forecasting presentations!!!!!! Plus the stupid move to Manchester for no apparent reason of course.
  5. postie

postie Member

Totally agree it's time an inquiry was launched into the where the funds the BBC get are going. Paying fat contracts for half talented people isn't the way forward either!!!!!
  6. Alisop

Alisop Member

A bit unrelated but I'm afraid with the massive overspend on the olympics we will see alot of cut backs in Arts projects and funding.