No players please

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by eanto, Jul 5, 2006.

1. eanto

eanto Member

I just read a thread on 4barsrest a band advertising for no players!! Band FULL apparently but you're invited to join the waiting list. Maybe a joke, but I live in the South and I know a lot of bands are seriously struggling for seats. Not good.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Band FULL
    lot of bands
    band advertising
    players
    thread
  3. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Can't find the article/thread/entry but I agree theres a real shortage of players in the souuth at the moment, can't see it getting any better to be honest. Where have all the bass players gone? (rumour has it one bad has 6! so perhaps thats where!).

4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

It's in the vacancies section.... go to North-West.... all I say is good for them :) :lol:

5. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Ah got it. Little bit cheeky but as you say good for them! it's good to hear of at least one band which isn't struggling.

6. dyl

dyl Active Member

Why is it cheeky? I suspect they've paid for a year's subscription (even though it's free on tMP ;) ) and they've probably used it to advertise vacancies during the year, and have simply updated their listing when the positions were filled?

7. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

TBH I hadn't thought of it like like that (I thought they might have been doing a little rib digging at rivals, not that theres anything wrong with that) but good point, if you've paid for it, use it.

8. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I think its quite clever. Having advertised the fact they have a full band, they would probably get a lot of interest from players. If you were looking to sign with a new band, who would you rather play with - a band that is obviously doing well for itself, or one that is struggling?

9. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Some have moved out of country ;)

10. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

And others are at the wrong end of the country ;)

11. Bungle

Bungle Member

I think its some what true, that a full band dosn't have problems recruiting players, sometimes because friends of existing players would like to join, but there are not places or the MD has the contacts through music tuition. I know this is the case with BAE systems in Rochester, who have four trombones, five horns and a full back row.

My band has been lucky, having an aupair come over from switzerland for a year and then a university student on work experience to fill gaps in our front row, we will be stuggling come Septmember though.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Band FULL
    lot of bands
    band advertising
    players
    thread
  13. vonny

vonny Member

I found this particular thread interesting... I am thinking:

* There is an advertisement on the 4barsrest 'VACANCIES' saying that the band is full - hence no vacancies!

* They are asking people if they would like to go on thier waiting list,which I find quite strange because living in the North West myself I certainly wouldn't want my name adding to the list. Instead I would go along to the many other bands in the area and join one were there are 'VACANCIES'

14. jim

jim Member

Well I suppose there is only one way to get players and thats 'make them' get the old instruments out the cobord and atract a few local kids!

15. zak

zak Member

Couldn't agree more!!! Why be negative about the fact that a band has a full line up??? Think a pat on the back should be in order rather than people making a mountain out of what no doubt is a molehill!!!!! Maybe if your band is short of players you should pick up the phone and ask the band in question what they did????? :clap:

16. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Good question- we've had a BBb vacancy for a year now, just doesnt seem to be anyone around.
    We have an even bigger problem finding cornet players in the London region- if I were to massively generalise most of them we've approached seem quite mercenary, and know that as a 'race' they are very much in demand- so for that reason don't join bands when they know they can earn more cash by just depping! Is this the way that brass bands are heading?... pay as you play???....

17. I agree, however, I remember in t'good old days (cue Hovis advert), when there used to be such a thing as loyalty to one's band. Although I do know of a few people who have actually missed their own band concert because they were depping for another band. Makes me mad!

Andy, climbing off his soapbox

18. fulcherc

fulcherc Member

Quite right Shaun, why the sour grapes from some just because a band is doing well - a great big pat on the back to the band from me. It's good to hear that a band is proving so successful - may it last a long time. :clap:

19. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Is that a Polysteel policy then James cos I didn't know you had a junior band. Could you provide detais for the interested tmp folk?
    Ta

20. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Well fair play to them I suppose, but thats the kind of post that could come back to haunt the poster one day, and not necessarily a long way in the future.

21. robcav

robcav Member

Who was that Andy? Come on spill the beans mate. PM me to save blushes. Or give me a bell. We're staying in Halifax at the minute.
    I'd agree with the earlier commentators who respond to the advert favourably. There's nothing wrong or arrogant in wanting to advertise your success. Can anyone imagine a successful business not wanting to trumpet its success in whatever innovative way it can? Nothing succeeds like success, and having a full band these days is no mean achievement as we all know.There would also seem to be someone with some foresight on the band's committee because you just never know when your band is suddenly going to be faced with replacing a long serving member who is moving home and job, suffering a sudden illness or injury, or deciding that they've already done one area contest too many. It's at those points that the 'professional' deps are often called upon and, whilst they certainly perform a vital role in the short term, I suspect most bands know who their local nomadic minstrels of no fixed banding abode are, and only employ them when there really is no alternative. That said, there are a hell of a lot of good bandspeople out there who I know would travel miles to help another band out. To that end I would like to thank Richard (cornet) and Dave (baritone) who did a 200 miles round trip twice, Jon (Bass Bone) who answered the call on the morning of the job, Graham (Bass), Dan (tromb), and Tabby (cornet) for their invaluable help during our recent recording session. And we have a full band! And if you don't have great people like these to help out in times of need (and maybe even if you do) then you just have to do the only thing that will keep this movement of ours alive - set up a junior band and train the players of the future.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  22. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Some of us arrange to spend our working days in more fertile banding pastures !
    (although after 18 months filling Solo EEb at Imps we now have an imminent full permanent team so once I finish depping on BBb I may be coming 'Darn Sarf' for a while again).