Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by mikelyons, Sep 9, 2008.

1. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Why have I suddenly got the awful orange?

Why am I receiving emails asking for support when I have been a continuous supporter since you started havong support - and I'm still paid up until October!

Why have I got those adverts? I can't read when so much of my page is reduced in size. It feels cramped and unpleasant. I thought supporters weren't going to have to put up with that.

I'll pay more. Give me back my sundued colours and clearer fonts. I'm getting old, I don't need my retinas for much longer. but I don't want their remaining life reduced!

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
  2. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Yep, I'm paid up til next January and got 2 emails today!
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Mike - apologies for your being included in the email sent out recently - there's not an easy way to differentiate between supporters and non supporters when using the email functionality on tMP - my apologies about that.

I appreciate you are a long standing supporter and I am very grateful to you for this. Your support is greatly appreciated, thank you.

As to the style... well, as I have just explained in another thread, the reason I can only have a single style on tMP is one of cost. Each time I upgrade the software used on tMP, I have to apply the custom changes to the styles to EACH of the styles on an individual basis. This creates a significant amount of work each time I upgrade, and as a consequence I (1) only upgrade infrequently and nowhere near as often as I should and (2) costs me significantly more money as I have to pay a developer each time I upgrade.

Hence the reason for a single style. I can then do the upgrades, and save on the not insignificant developer costs each time.

I do have a suggestion though, it might be that I can make the default vB style (called tMP Black) available for those who are subscribers. On that style I would place no adverts etc, and as such could be a possibility. Let me look into this and see if it can be implemented.

Would that work...? As a subscriber you would obviously get access to this additional style... acceptable...?
  4. TheMusicMan

Apologies Andy...
  5. mikelyons

I thought the subscribers were going to have that benefit anyway - I'd be prepared to pay more to have the orange toned down - it's vile!
  6. TheMusicMan

I have looked into the proposition of subscribers not seeing most of the ads, and it is a viable solution Mike, but takes a lot more coding to implement and thus a little longer to come to fruition.

I will get there though... :)
  7. mikelyons

As I'm sure you know, JOhn - but just to let everyone else know - you have my full support. Please wash before returning! ;)

OK, Who's gonna buy me some decent sunglasses?
  8. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

You could always use an ad blocker..................
  9. TheMusicMan

I appreciate that of course you can, that's your call. But it certainly doesn't help me does it. I provide tMP for free and try to recover costs as I can... blocking ads seems a bit tight to me.
  10. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

For the life of me I can't see what the problem is!
    I got used to the colours in no time and its become ... well familiar and comfortable.
    And I had not really noticed the ads (I'm not intentionally tight, just from Yorkshire :D) until Mike mentioned them.
    Don't take this the wrong way Mike - but don't you think you are being just ever so slightly a "drama queen"? Put this alongside your 30 seconds problem and I think OCD is a distinct possibility.
  11. mikelyons

Steve, you can be soooooo offensive sometimes!

I'm systemically allergic to orange. :eek:

Drama Queen? - look who's talking! :p

I would be happier if the ads were horizontal. My eyesight is going - I need the width and when I'm on the tidgy 15" monitors at work...well... You need a magnifying glass, or better still a telescope, or even a microscope... Drama? Queen? I've seen it... boring! Helen Mirren was good though - I've heard you do a better queen, though Steve.
  12. steve butler

Sorry Mike no offense intended

Can't you get some specially designed anti-orange glasses (sorry spectacles)?

I'll come over on Sat and give you some lessons in how to be a queen in less than 30 secs :D
  13. mikelyons

I'm serious about the orange. I can't even use orange flavoured washing up liquid! It soaks right through the marigolds. ;)

John, do you get money from every click or just if we buy something?
  14. TheMusicMan

Hi Mike

Re the banner ads from eBay and Google (Google adds are yet to be re-implemented, but hopefully will be shortly).

The eBay ShoppingAds are not pay per click and I only receive any revenue if the winner of the item has clicked on the link from tMP. So, should you click on an advert for a trumpet you see and like, and then you make a bid and win that trumpet - I will receive a small % of the value of the trumpet from eBay. The seller of the item doesn't get charged any more, neither does the buyer - its a scheme designed to take advantage of being published on relevant sites so I choose keywords that interrogate eBay and then should only show products that match the keywords I choose.

With the soon to return Google ads though - these are pay per click. Google does the criteria selection based on the content of tMP pages so once again, one should only see relevant products displayed.

I also have some code installed that allows people to advertise their eBay products for sale on tMP. If people sell items on eBay and then post a link to those eBay items in a thread on tMP, the ShoppingAds scheme comes into play again. If the item sells from a click on tMP, then I get a small % of the value of the item. Thus the greater the value of the item, the greater revenue I receive. To put this in context - so people are aware of what numbers we are taling about... last month (August) I received $36 from eBay's Shopping Ads scheme. It's not much, but it all helps towards the monthly costs and as I fund tMP personally, out of my own pocket, I don't feel it is much to have ads showing or to voluntarily pay for them not to be shown.

15. Di

Di Active Member

Not a thought, but a question. (Sorry).

If you see something you like in the ads and click on it, it doesn't go directly to the item, but rather to a list of 30 odd thousand results. If you then search within the results to find the item, does that still count? Has the "link" or whatever is necessary been made? Will you still get the revenue? :confused:
  16. TheMusicMan

I don't have control of where the link actually goes Di, but I believe I do still then get the revenue.
  17. TP Euph

TP Euph Member

Oh dear, Mike must be really upset...spelling mistakes and a twitchy caps finger!:D
  18. agentorange

agentorange Member

What's wrong with orange? I could be offended.......even hurt....(sniff).
  19. steve butler

I did think it was a bit orangeist, Mike is oblivious to the feelings of euphnic minorities at times!
  20. Di

Di Active Member

OK, cool.