No Folkstone

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by David Pegram, Jul 11, 2006.

1. David Pegram

David Pegram Member

With no Folkstone contest this year can anybody reccomend a well run contest around same time ie middle of Oct? Needs to be in south or Midlands.
  2. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Why no Folkestone contest!????..... :-(
  3. Di

Di Active Member

This is mid-November rather than October, but ..

Leicestershire Brass Band Association Annual Festival Contest

Sections 1-4 and open section for unregistered bands.
    Own choice test piece.
    Details from Lesley Bentley, 01509 672029,
  4. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

The hall - which is run by an independent leisure company - (double) booked the 'suite' downstairs (which is used for a rehearsal room and instrument storage) for a wedding reception and refused to budge saying they can make more money from the wedding than they can from the band contest :mad::mad:

I'm gutted - and also disappointed that a professional outfit can act in such a way.

Still, we're looking around for another contest too, so any more ideas would be gratfully received.
  5. Veri

Veri Member

Do you have to be in Leicestershire BBA to enter? What's the date?
  6. Bungle

Bungle Member

I am not a SCABBA committee member, but I was aware via a member that they were looking at alternative venues as a back up (I was asked about suggestions), because some of the rooms downstairs used for instrument storage and rehearsal were booked out on one day, but I didn't think there was a possibility of it being cancelled. Unless there has been a serious falling out or for some other reason (it's falling into the sea). Also, it is worth bearing in mind that the council pays for the hire of the Leas Cliff Hall on one day and the company runs the hall on behalf of the council. I think some rumour has got out of control. Can you check your sources?
  7. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Leamington contest is normally pretty good, I don't know the date for this year though
  8. Di

Di Active Member

Not as far as I'm aware, but it may be worth just checking with Lesley. Sorry, the date is 19th November.
  9. Di

Di Active Member

26th November. ;)
  10. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

So, have band secretaries been officially informed that Folkestone is DEFINITELY cancelled?....
  11. postie

postie Member

I think we paid last year to join the association. But they do give you the entry fee back if I remember rightly.
  12. Bungle

Bungle Member

MRSH looks like you beat me to it. Have you been told it has been cancelled or a were you just responding to David Pegrams post?

I think we have to be careful here, we don't want bands from Belgium and France cancelling their hotels on hearsay. I would hate TMP to get bad press over this.
  13. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

The contest is still listed on SCABA's website as going ahead. I'm sure Andy Wooler will be able to comment definitively when he is next online.....
  14. Bungle

Bungle Member

I don't think Andy is on the committee any more, but David Sheedy is.

Mods, could I suggest this thread is made 'invisible' for a bit until we have confirmation, to prevent any press fallout on the TMP.
  15. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Andy is still webmaster though. ;)
  16. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Unfortunately, I am as in the dark as you on this.

Whilst I am the SCABA webmaster, that is not an executive committee position so I have to wait until I am informed by either the Secretary or by the new PR, David Sheedy.

As to what I know unofficially, the Hall have indeed let the Channel Suite on the Saturday. However, the option of using local hotels for rehearsal would still be possible. (This is how it was done for years before the refurbishment of the venue). An alternative venue was being looked at in Hove but I have no news on the outcome of that. I wouldn't hold your breath as with my Sussex Symphony hat on, I know the hire costs there are substantially more than Folkestone (where one days hire is sponsored by the local council).

IMHO, If we don't find a way of using the current venue on the dates already booked for this year, then we will lose the sponsorship which will be a huge problem for the future of that contest.

For any SCABA Committee people who read this, the silence is deafening!!
  17. andywooler

Not as of 7pm last night when I last spoke with my band secretary.
  18. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

tMP have contacted the organisers: Secretary & Contest Manager Mr. Ian Carter to obtain confirmation of the contest details.

Ian said to me that the contest has unfortunately been cancelled, and he is in the process of contacting all the bands who have entered. He will be issuing a formal press release statement via tMP when he returns home later this evening.

So, in the meantime, please can I ask you to refrain from further criticism until this time, and please also remember that the internet is a lot quicker at disseminating information than it is by actually contacting the bands concerned either by telephone or by mail etc.

19. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Thats poor! :-(
  20. andywooler

Posted at the request of Ian Carter, SCABA Secretary:

"With considerable regret, the Southern Counties Amateur Bands Association advises that, because of circumstances beyond its control, it has been necessary to cancel the 2006 SCABA Autumn Contest, at Folkestone. For further details, please see the attached press release.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause bands that were considering taking part in this year's event and would like to reassure you that plans are already being put in hand to ensure that there will be a SCABA Autumn Contest in 2007.

Ian Carter
    Hon. Secretary & Contest Manager, SCABA
    11th July 2006"

Please click here for the press release or visit