No Bravery

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Cornishwomble, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Thought I'd share this with you---- No Bravery

Speaks for itself

2. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Indeed.

:(

3. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Heartbreaking!Certainly puts our lives into perspective!

4. Steve

Steve Active Member

wonder if he sang that to his troops while he was a captain?

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Very moving...

6. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I thought I was getting a bit "battle-hardened" but every now and then something cuts through. This video did. I'm going to sign off for a bit now, don't feel like making small talk for a while.
    Rebecca

7. The whole album is genius, I can listen to it over and over...

8. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I really had no idea that that was the point of that song. Should have guessed really.

Heartbreaking images.

9. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

That's awful :(

10. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

This was the outstanding track on the album for me. Not [at the time] knowing who James Blunt was I knew straight away what this song was about - Croatia.

I don't want to get into whether our troops are right to be there, but if that record was released with that video then it would spark a huge politcal debate IMO, which can only be a good thing.

I hope he has the balls to release it.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bravery Thought
    Bravery
    URL
  12. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Sorry to be the lone voice here, but I find No Bravery in a posh privilleged pop star writing a mediocre little ditty about his naive anti-Bush prejadices.
    Our forces together with those of the US are increadibly, increadibly brave facing their own mortality every day they are over there. They have more courage in their little finger than James Blunt.
    If he went over to Iraq/Afganistan and sung an anti-fundementalist song and showed pictures of victims of insurgent atrocities and peppered it with images of Bin Laden saying 'He has been here', then I might respect his message.

Great Anti-war songs should have one thing in common they are against war they don't take sides - otherwise they are just part of the political propaganda that fuel the tension.
    James Blunt's video could be shown on Al Jazeera and all it would do is inflame hostility and reinforce their thoughts that Bush and the west are on a crusade to persecute innocent
    muslims.

Dylan's With God On Our Side, Lennon's Imagine, Nenas Red Balloons, Isley Brothers' Harvest for the World - now they have a message.

13. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Err he was in the army, thats when he wrote it...

14. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Yes I know. He was a captain and actually served in Kosovo. This makes his cynical exploitation of the victims of conflict for his personal profit even worse. I actually think it makes him a hypocrite. Aren't the forces in Iraq trying to rebuild the country and protect the innocents from evil fundementalists and rival factions. Not at all dissimilar to what he was doing himself in Kosovo.

15. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Sorry Im just confused now.
    ANyway on topic, I think its a really good song we used it for a backing to a slideshow on evil and suffering at school.

16. Rach_Horn

Rach_Horn Member

Very very moving song... probably the best on the album... the video is very emotive...
    Going to see him perform live on Wed evening..looking forward to hearing this...

17. Tinkabell

Tinkabell Member

You're so lucky to be going to see James Blunt!
    I agree with '1st cornet superstar' and think the whole album is just total genius, I too can listen to it over and over again, no matter what mood I'm in. Possibly one of those albums that will stand the test of time.

18. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

If you're really sorry then why do it?

Here you're just showing your own prejudices. Someone with a "privileged" background can't, in your view hold any views that need be taken seriously. As Yonhee pointed out James Blount was an Army Captain in Kosovo so presumably saw atrocities at first hand. That entitles him to his views much more than any of us. Would his views be more acceptable had he just been a grunt, keeping his head down and "following orders"?

Is this what you do of a Saturday afternoon? Are you out there condemning fundamentalists? Having said that I hold no brief for Bin Laden. He's a maniac who should be stopped, although he is a product of Western interference in the Middle East going back generations.

All anti-war songs take sides, even if it's the side of the doves against the hawks. The songs you quote do not, in my opinion, qualify as anti-war songs, they are merely wistful maunderings about a nice world in which everyone is nice. It is not a nice world, and never has been. Sometimes people have to stand up and point out what is happening. And everyone, no matter how privileged, has a right to hold views and express them.
    Rebecca

19. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Because I have a right to my opinion the same as every body else. And I am actually proud that some people join our armed forces and put their life on the line, no questions asked, to carry out our democraticly elected government's decisions whether you like it or not. That decision may be wrong, but that is not a reason to say these brave young men are evil.

The fact that he wasn't a 'grunt' himself and was ordering his own 'grunts' to do exactly what he is complaining about in his video makes him a complete hypocrite.

I do condemn fundamentalists and all their atrocities. I am also not trying to make money condemning an activity that a few years ago I was complicit in.

No true Anti-war song takes sides. If you take a side you are wishing for one sides victory over the other. That is not anti-war that is triumphalist.

20. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

Of course we're all entitled to our own opinions... that's what makes a free society truly great. But I tend to agree with BigHorn in the finer points of his arguments. Anti-War songs shouldn't take sides. And even so, this is an anti-Bush (or even anti-American since it's primarily the U.S. Military shown in the images) tune, and I'm almost insulted by it.

Obviously, I'm biased as an ex-member of the U.S. Military as well as being currently employed by the U.S. Department of Defense. On top of being a U.S. citizen who has nothing but support and admiration for the men and women from all of the countries involved in putting Iraq back together after Saddam Hussein's reign. Even so, I don't agree with everything Bush has done/is doing. Regardless, this is a swipe against Bush and the U.S. military for being in Iraq - plain and simple.

It's easier to place a face on evil when you don't know the whole truth, or simply choose to ignore it because of the times. And it's easy to forget the real purpose behind something when you have the ugly side-effects forced down your throat everyday by those who have their own agendas. But let me ask this, then I'm done: Who is the greater evil - those who work to remove a corrupt government while trying to keep collateral damage and civilian casualties to a minimum, or those who support said corrupt government and retaliate with no regard for collateral damage or civilian casualties?

Back on topic: personally, I found his music overall to be kinda whiney with no substance... but that's just me. I never have cared much for that particular style of music anyway.

21. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

No it's not just you... I'm not a fan either!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bravery Thought
    Bravery
    URL