Nip & Tuck! Would You Consider It?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Charmed, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Twenty years ago when I was 'young', the thought of plastic surgery was ridiculous. Even as close as 5 years ago I was still of this mind. I couldn't understand why anybody would want to put themselves through plastic surgery to make themselves look a bit younger. I remember thinking, "why can't people just grow old gracefully?" "Why, at 40yrs and 50yrs old, do people want to try and look 30yrs or 40yrs old?"

Now though, as I am in my 'mid-life' crisis, I understand why people go out and do this to themselves! Especially in the morning! You know, that time when you wake up, full of the joys of spring, looking forward to the day/life, until you take a glimpse in the mirror! :eek: Reality hits you! Is that really me looking back? When did I start collasping? I used to be able to 'slap on' the 'face lift' and feel 'normal' again! But as the grooves get bigger and the flesh becomes saggier, I find myself doing a Robbin Williams in the film 'HOOK', pulling back the skin and saying 'Oh, there you are"!

Now if it wasn't that I was such a 'wimp', and I had plenty of cash, I would be banging on the door of the nearest plastic surgeon and having that little 'nip and tuck'!

What about you? (if you're under 35, you can only answer if you are going to be nice!) Have you got to that stage yet where a face lift doesn't seem so 'ridiculous' anymore?

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'd much rather people simply accepted the aging process and decided to grow old gracefully. I think one of the problems is that once people start trying to turn the clock back they can end up having all sorts of procedures, but eventually they will reach the stage where nothing much more can be done. They can then find themselves in a terrible state, much more so than if nature had just been allowed to take its course.

3. julestools

julestools Active Member

NEVER! But as an old man (over weight and balding) I still feel that there is more to a person than a body. Plastic surgery can only be a temporary measure to stave off the ravages of time and you only have to look to Hollywood to see the long term effects (Joan Rivers, yuk)
    It is a personal choice though.

xx

Jules (I always use an old photo)

4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

No...I find myself in the really lucky position where I'm drop dead gorgeous now, and getting better looking and more distinguished as the days go by.

*aaaaaaand...you're back in the room*

5. flower girl

flower girl Member

ooh crawf your getting better at this hypnosis stuff, u very nearly had me then LOL :biggrin:

6. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Should have gone to Specsavers! :cool:

7. julestools

julestools Active Member

8. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Did anybody see that line-up at the oscars a few years ago where they had all the previous 'best actresses'. Some of the face lifts made them look like complete freak shows.

9. will enderby

will enderby Member

hi

why change the way you look you are who you are at the end of the day unless you you have a facial disfigurement or really hate your self personally i would never under go with it emagine if they went wong you only have one face ! haha

10. 2nd man down

*fixes an intense stare*
    Look in to my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, in to my eyes, the eyes, the eyes.
    *clicks fingers*
    My picture HAS been on tmp, you all think I'm stunningly handsome and even think that I make Brad Pitt and Goerge Clooney look like complete munters.
    Aaaaannnd...you're back in the room
    *click fingers*

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    plastic surgery
    Nip & Tuck
    thought
    surgery
    anybody
  12. julestools

julestools Active Member

OH yes! I remember now. The gorgeous one with the short skirt and high heels. Could have done with a shave though. ;)

xx

Jules (remind me,i need new glasses)

13. 2nd man down

No no!! That's Craigy Boy...and he DEFINITELY could use a nip and a tuck!! LOL LOL. :biggrin:

14. julestools

julestools Active Member

Sorry. My mistake. But you are so alike, you could be sisters :tongue:

xx

Jules

15. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

<mod voice> ahem . . . has anyone seen the topic? </mod voice>

I agree that many people have plastic surgery for the wrong reasons. Sometimes it's necessary, though. My wife has a couple of life-threatening episodes in 2005, which the consensus among her doctors was that they were caused by her weight and that she needed to lose at least 200 lbs (she weighed nearly 400 at the time). She had a gastric bypass surgery last May and so far has lost 135 lbs. By this time next year, we'll be discussing the plastic surgery parts - some patients with this type of weight loss have 20 or 30 lbs of extra skin that must be removed to complete the process.

16. twigglet

twigglet Member

I think that plastic surgery can be great in the context that Brasscrest is talking about but I have issues with it for purely cosmetic reasons.

I can see the temptation ,which I probably too will get, but the problem as I see it is where to stop. If you look at Madonna now, I'd hazard a guess to say there's a bit of lifting going on, if she continues having that refreshed the state of her face by her sixties is going to be a bit of a wreck I'd think.. once you start you can't really stop.

I do think it is becoming more of a norm though, which is a bit worrying.

17. Tinkabell

Tinkabell Member

Of course there are parts of me that I would like to be differeny, but I don't think I'd put myself through unecessary medical procedures to achieve them.
    I've had several operations, for non-cosmetic reasons, from which developed problems such as meningitis to mention one. In my opinion, to put myself through something for purely cosmetic reasons wouldn't be an option.
    Tragically I lost a friend/work colleague the other week. She had a gastric band op that went drastically wrong.
    Doesn't this teach us to be greatful for what we are and we have?
    xxx

18. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

In all seriousness I don't think I really would have anything done. Maybe just a tummy tuck.
    It also depends on what you class as cosmetic surgery. I'd love to have laser treatment on my eyes so I don't have to wear glasses any more, and permanent hair removal would also be very welcome. Both very expensive (for me anyway) and both completely unnecessary.
    The thought of ending up looking like Joscelyn Wildenstein or Jacko is quite enough to put me off.
    As far as Joan Collins goes, you only have to look at someone like Honor Blackman, who at 70-odd is still a beautiful woman without having had any work done. (MInd you I'd look gorgeous with a personal trainer, a dietician, a masseur and a make-up truck.:wink: )
    BMB, not looking too bad for 36.
    xx

19. axio

axio Member

Yeah olde Jacko wasn't exactly the ideal front-man for the plastic surgery industry marketing campaign. :eek:

Does having your lips sewn together to avoid foot in mouth situations count as cosmetic surgery? :oops:

20. ratley

ratley Member

I have a close relative who has had a fair bit of work done in the past 5 years or so, and she has said that the advances in cosmetic surgery during that time have been immense. Having said that, I think that having your feet operated on just to be able to wear strappy sandals is rather extreme!

I would consider a peel (great skin in my teens and twenties followed by a terrible stress - induced bout of adult acne at 39) to remove scarring and perhaps a tummy tuck when I have lost my last 2 stone or so....

I don't consider myself very vain, although I love makeup and skin and hair products. I would just like to take away some of the wearyness and be a little more fresh faced. Perhaps to look the age I feel inside....

21. HBB

HBB Active Member

Awww.. don't do anything Kay! You're fine as it is - and your laugh - we'll that's contageous! :)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    plastic surgery
    Nip & Tuck
    thought
    surgery
    anybody