Night Shifts

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Robhibberd29, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Just wondered if there is anyone else around who's a saddo like me working nights! If I hear nothing in the next 2 hours I'll get the message!!

2. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Strangley enough... YES!

well for tonight anyway... ( last time I volunteer for anything! )

3. Robhibberd29

Marvellous! Thanks for being as sad as me Steve he he never mind mate our time has nearly come. In an hour I will be home swigging a can wahay :)

4. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet Active Member

I'm here too, stuck at my desk trying to stay awake:biggrin:

5. Robhibberd29

Welcome to the little night shift party mate, it's a very exclusive bunch!!

6. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Very little, and very exclusive tonight:rolleyes:

7. Robhibberd29

Oh dear, looks like just me left, everyone else is offline! Deserters!

8. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Nope, i'm here!

9. Robhibberd29

Top man! Sorry for the tardy reply it's turned out to be a busy un, was just droppin off n all :-(

10. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Sorry to dissappoint, I was only on for one night ( never ever again!, if I ever do a night shift again a) I will have a spare room to sleep in at home, b) It will be a proper shift as in 4 on 3 off not just a one-nighter.

Have fun guys.

( I nearly got the tuba out to practice! )

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    hours
    saddo
  12. Robhibberd29

Thanks mate, you are now an honourary member of the exclusive night shift elite! Aren't you the lucky one........

13. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Oh yeh! Really fun.

Now that would be fun, Cornet practice at work, visions of the residents of Warrington being woken at 2 in the morning:biggrin:

14. Robhibberd29

Just done a couple of bars of Frosty the Snowman. Wrong time of the day, wrong time of the year!!

15. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

I used to work nights, as well as the other usual 6 till 2 and 2 till 10 rotating shift system, that was well before I learned cornet. The shifts beggered up the old body clock so severely I wasn't sleeping at all, and it was making me ill. So got out and back to a day job. That was over eighteen years ago, and still have difficulty getting a good nights sleep. I started learning cornet in early 1999 and am now nearly sixty and playing second cornet in Darwen Brass. Not bad for an old un eh!

16. Robhibberd29

Good move Nev! I'm still on the 3 shifts as you described and I think they are worse for you than working nights all the time because your body never really adjusts to when you sleep.
    I can totally understand anyone who leaves shift work!!

17. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

I couldn't be doing with that 3 shift nonsense, 10-6 for me all the way. I've been doing it for 18 years and I don't think that I could go back to working during the daytime.

18. Robhibberd29

Fair play to you Dave as I said earlier I do think 3 shifts is worse than working nights all the time.At least you sleep the same time each day where as I sleep differebt times each week to suit. Not good for the health. It's nothing to do with the beer, honest!

19. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Yeah, you get to drink beer at work, when do I start?;)

20. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I have only ever done one night shift.
    I was working for Burger King and we had the extraction cleaners in.
    My boss told me to do some work while I was in, I told him to get F****d (Though I did get the stock down and do the prep for the day).
    Took my laptop, tv and PS2 in with me and battered Chelsea and Arsenal all night on Pro Evo!
    I wouldn't mind doing that shift again!

21. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

When I started work on the railway in 1989 I worked shifts; 6-2, 2-10, 10-6.
    I never minded working nights, and 6-2 was ok, but I hated working 2-10.The worst part of working shifts was when I had a quick turn-round, coming off nights at 6am and having to work 2-10 the same day. Not fun!

And of course you could guarantee that any really good band jobs would take place when I was on the wrong shift, so unless I could get the day off or get someone else to swop shifts with me, I would have to miss it.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    hours
    saddo