Nigel Horne's 1996 Cyberband

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Pauli Walnuts, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

I was fortunate to have been a part of what is believed to be the first ever live broadcast by a brass band on the Internet which took place in 1996 from The Cyber Cafe, Victoria, London. I recently came across a recoding from that broadcast which may be of interest to anyone here who was also on that gig. Apologies for poor quality and the occasional microsecond jumps - this came from an old cassette taken from the web on the day of the broadcast.
    This is Nigel's arrangement of "VĂ¥ren" or "The Last Spring" as many will know it by.

https://soundcloud.com/andy-wooler/cyberband-1996

If you were on this too, post a reply!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    The Cyber Cafe
    The Last Spring
    Cyberband
    Nigel Horne
    Victoria
  3. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

Many thanks for posting that. I was there, playing Eb Bass, along with my brother (who was on the cornet).

I also played in the following Cyberband in 1997, in a college somewhere in the wilds of South West London, if I remember correctly?

Darryl

4. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Most likely Royal Holloway College, Egham; I played sop for that one.

5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Blast from't past... I was there - I think on some form of trombone? But maybe something with valves.

My Dad (Martin Taylor) was there on tuba - his fault I was there, as I wasn't regularly posting on the list at that point.

I do like the fact that the recording quality makes it sound like something from the depths of time... I've heard 78s sound more recent!

6. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

That's the one, I seem to remember stopping in a local B&B, as the first train from Birmingham (where I was living at the time) didn't get into London until early afternoon.

I seem to remember chatting to your dad at some point during the rehearsal, I was probably at that end of the Eb basses. :)

7. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

It does add a certain something doesn't it! I'm sure you were there!

8. MartinT

MartinT Member

You're right, I was! On BBb bass, I think. I recollect it being a real "breathe by numbers" environment. Great fun, and we felt we were doing something really original. I've lost the recordings I had of it.

I was there at Egham as well - there wasn't a recording AFAIR, the relevant gear was broken.

Happy days...

9. njh@bandsman.co.uk

njh@bandsman.co.uk New Member

Yes, it was at Royal Holloway College, London.

We also had a Cyberband take part in the Whit Friday marches in 2000. Dave Sheedy did all the legwork.

-Nigel

10. MartinT

MartinT Member

Nigel, do you still have copies of the recordings from 1996?