NEXT YEARS FINALS

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by CORNISHMAN, Sep 27, 2003.

1. CORNISHMAN

CORNISHMAN New Member

[/sizeI HAVE HEARD A LITTLE STORY THAT HARROGATE HAS BEEN CHOSEN AS THE PERMANENT SITE FOR FUTURE FINALS. I HOPE SOMEONE CAN DISPROVE THIS AS ITS SURELY NEVER RIGHT?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    sizeI
    HARROGATE
    CHOSEN
    FUTURE FINALS
    PERMANENT SITE
  3. yorkyboy

yorkyboy Member

I can confirm it is a story I have also heard!!

4. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

It's what I heard too, Next year and possibly for the next five or so years.. Harrogate is good for pubs/restaurants/hotels, It's in th middle of the country too i suppose,
    But i would rather see Birmingham used, it's got the same facities but a much better concert hall, I played there in 97 and Is th3e most fantastic hall, i think the lower sectiohn finals deserve a good venue to play in.

5. P. Sanderson

P. Sanderson Member

Ive also heard that it might be the Albert Hall in Nottingham
    Any one know about that place

6. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I believe Harrogate has been booked for the next 9 years - some official confirmation would be nice .
    It is nice and central in the map of the UK, but the geographical extremities would suffer - but let's face it, we've done Cardiff,Torquay, Dundee etc.
    It's a nice logistical compromise.
    I must say that IMHO, I do think that to have all sections on the same day in London would be better for banding.
    With the lower section Finals being toured around the country we seem to lose the "Glory of the occasion", though the achievment of bands is still to be applauded.
    How would "Premiership" bands feel if a decision was made to abandon the RAH as their Nationals venue in favour of touring the elite competition around various regional centres ?
    Would they feel that the gilt was being chipped away from the Crown of achievement ?
    Apart from The Open in the Kings Hall at Belle Vue Manchester, my greatest banding memory was playing at the RAH - Caird Hall,Dundee or International Conference Centre Harrogate just doesn't have the same ring as London !!
    Perhaps it would work in other Cities as long as all five sections were in the same town on the same day - it would give credibility and and a sense of occasion to what is , after all, the National Brass Band Finals Competition.

7. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I don't mind the idea of moving round the country a little, The idea has suffered with the questionable descision to go to the south coast and then northern scotland.. . . .If we'd stayed in the "middle" things would have not seemed so extreme..

There'd be plenty to go at Leeds/manchester/Liverpool/Blackburn/Harogate/Birmingham and so on...........

8. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

I like ploughboys idea! :wink:

9. Ej

Ej New Member

Finals

I think the finals need to really review things especially after this last weekend. The standards have slipped since the last time i was there with Barnsley Building SOciety in section 1 finals around 97 i think on Frongs test piece at the Wembley conference centre.

After all this is supposed to be the best.

10. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

So do I - Viva Ploughboy !!

11. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

I do agree saying you qualified for London does seem have more prestige than qualifying for Harrogate or Torquay ect. However I played in the 3rd section finals twice at Wembley Conference Centre and it was the most boring contest I've played in. We were drawn near the end of the section both times so had to hang around for hours waiting to play. The bar was only open from 11 to 1 . There was nowhere to get anything to eat and not everyone wants to listen to other bands before they play. I must say it would be nice for me to have the finals at Harrogate. Nice easy travelling for a change.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    sizeI
    HARROGATE
    CHOSEN
    FUTURE FINALS
    PERMANENT SITE
  13. CORNISHMAN

CORNISHMAN New Member

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR COMMENTS. FEEP THEM COMING. JUST AFEW FURTHER THOUGHTS. I PERSONALLY HAVE NEVER BEEN TO HARROGATE AND SO I CAN ONLY ASSUME THAT IT IS A GREAT VENUE SET IN A PLEASANT CITY. HOWEVER THE ORGANISERS MUST DECIDE IF THEY WANT TO CONTNUE THE IDEA OF SHARING THE FINALS AROUND - AND I HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH THE IDEA OF WEST OF ENGLAND LAST YEAR,SCOTLAND THIS, MIDLANDS NEXT OR WHATEVER. OR IF THEY DECIDE TO HAVE A `STATIC` SITE THEN THAT SITE MUST BE CENTRAL IN FAIRNESS TO ALL COMPETING BANDS. I KNOW MY GEOGRAPHY IS NOT MY STRONG POINT BUT I DONT BELIEVE THAT ANYONE CAN CALL HARROGATE CENTRAL. IF IT IS ID LIKE TO KNOW WHAT ITS CENTRAL TO. IN CORNWALL WE HAVE TO TRAVEL OVER 100 MILES TO REACH THE MOTORWAY THEN ON TO ANOTHER 80+ MILES TO JUST REACH BRISTOL. WERE NOT COMPLAING ABOUT THAT ITS WHAT KEEPS CORNWALL SPECIAL HOWEVER IT DOES CAUSE ANY COMPETING ORGANISATION (NOT JUST BANDS) A HUGE AMOUNT OF DOSH JUST GET TO ANY NATIONAL VENUE. I AGREE WITH THE PREVIOUS POINT THAT IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO HAVE BEEN KEPT FULLY INFORMED, BUT ITS NOW UP TO SITES LIKE THIS AND THE VOICE OF THE PEOPLE TO LET THE ORGANISERS KNOW IF THIS MOVE IS UNPOPLULAR. IF THEY ARE LOOKING FOR A MORE CENTRAL SITE WHAT ABOUT THE MIDLANDS. SURPRISINGLY ITS ROUGHLY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE COUNTRY, NOT IN THE NORTH. BIRMINGHAM MAYBE. REACHABLE BY MANY BANDS IN A DAYS TRIP IF THEY THINK IT RIGHT SO TO DO. PLEASE KEEP THE DISCUSSION GOING. ID REALLY LIKE TO READ OTHER S VIEWS.

14. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Regarding being informed, here's a link to the 4barsrest report of the announcement, made in January this year:

http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=661

Choosing the venue for something like the National Finals is always going to be contentious, and you'll never get everyone to agree. It's a pity, really, that you can't have some sort of "pooled expenses" scheme, such as I've encountered on a few conferences, where those who are local pay something towards the travelling for those who have a long way to go. I can see that it would never work in banding terms, partly because everyone's expectations will be different, with some bands looking towards a luxury coach with all facilities, whereas others might be happy with cars and a van for the instruments.

I would agree with those who've said that London does have an allure of its own, but also that Wembley is a terrible venue from the point of view of the lack of facilities or anyting to do outside the centre itself - the Salvation Army has used it for a few events, and it is very unpopular for those reasons. As for Birmingham, whilst Symphony Hall, with its facilities, is first-class, I don't know how you would be fixed for the number of halls and practice areas etc you need for a 4-section finals, and it is also good to use another location, rather than just London and Birmingham all the time.

16. asteria

asteria Member

Hmm, sorry i agree with Aidan (even if he is as subtle as a sledgehammer!), i found the all caps lock a little difficult to read!! :)

Some fair points though, but i think you'll find Harrogate is one of the most central places you'll find. Birmingham may be central to England, but what about all the bands travelling from Scotland!!

A trip to Birmingham from Lands End is only 285 miles (5 and a half hours) compared to 576 miles (11 and a half hours) from John O' Groats.

In comparison, Harrogate is 419 miles from Lands End and 483 miles from John O' Groats, a lot fairer all round and you're still better off in Cornwall than the average band in Scotland.

OK, so there's probably not many bands from the John O' Groats area, but you get my drift! :wink:

Incidentally, who were the most Northern and Southern bands at the finals this year?

17. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Sorry to confuse you all even more, but the geographical centre of Britain is a little town called Haltwhistle in Northumberland, about 30 miles West of Newcastle.
    People often don't give Scotland the credit it deserves sizewise. It's a damn big place actually!!

I think Harrogate would be a great permanent venue. It is pretty much central!

18. rutty

rutty Active Member

Or is it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2271914.stm

;)

I think that Harrogate would be a great place to hold it - nice town, close to a lot of bands, and not Birmingham.

19. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Although I see the bonus in lodging the Finals in one place, personally I like to plan a weekend away for the nationals, Harrogate every year would mean the yorkshire bands would be playing on there own doorstep. I find this then could be a local contest which doesn't hold the glamour of the finals! I want to take my team away and have a weekend checking a bar out I haven't seen before.

Could we not have a 5 town cycle say Harrogate/Blackpool/Manchester/Birmingham and Sheffield, just as an example!!!!

20. asteria

asteria Member

Now there really would be an outcry if the National Finals was held on a bog!!! All the bands would sink! :lol:

21. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

:roll: Don't forget the Southern bands - just because we never seem to win at the finals, we're always there! London was never such a bad venue, and it would have been a heck of a lot easier than Dundee this year!

22. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

im sorry... but scubar is the geographical centre of britain... this fact cannot be denied by any combine-harvester riding wannabees