News or Adverts

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by 24aw, Dec 24, 2006.

1. 24aw

24aw Member

Just been on 4barsrest again.(i know.... saddo!!!);) But reading this article in the news section http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=4727
    im left thinking well is it news or a advert. Now in a certain respect if the guy (who personally i have never heard of) is famous then it becomes news and when i say famous i don't mean famous in the very prominent self publicizing way (always struck me as strange how the nations best players don't feel the need to self promote them selfs) i mean genuinely famous like if say Ant and Dec were secret marimba players and decided to release a album with a band of duets...now that would be news, but surely some bloke who i have never heard of releasing a album of serious marimba pieces isn't news, surely thats just a advert for the bloke!! :rolleyes:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    news section
    secret marimba players
    album of serious marimba pieces
    Ant
    Dec
  3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I would suggest that is a promotional piece. Nice to see that there are new CDs, but if every one was reported as news, the news section would be much larger than it is.

Maybe the fact that he is a percussionist makes it newsworthy?
    How often do you let YOUR kitchen sink department get to the front of the band?;)

4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Two things - Dave Danford is actually quite famous (for a percussionist). He doesn't have the worldwide profile of, say, Evelyn Glennie but considering that solo percussion players are few and far between I think he's pretty well known. Also, 4BR's "news" pages rely largely on people sending press releases in to them, I used to send in everything Blackley ever did as "news" in order to raise the bands profile and it got published on the site. Until they reach the stage where they are swamped with major banding news each and every day, they will need people to send them self-publicising press releases so that they've got something to put on the site!

Although 24aw's point still stands - it's not really "news"!

5. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

My definition of news is, information not known before. Therefore not having heard about Dave's new CD, in my opinion it's a News item. He could have easily informed us that he had lost his dog - It's all News if we don't know about it.

Next!

;)

6. 24aw

24aw Member

True.... I have noticed that over the years, at least this guy is a new face, its usually Russel Gray and Stephen Mead that are constantly on there informing us (the spell bound reader) of there every movement!! That and the constant hawking of Doyen/Dyke Cd's has often been known to send me into a band induced coma!! But i do like the Phil Lawrence section............sorry i mean the readers letters section!!;)

7. 24aw

24aw Member

fair enough i suppose......gets my goat a little though mind you the definition of news has become somewhat blurred in this country per se as you may of noticed when 20 Min's of the 6 pm news bulletin was spent telling us its foggy and thats made transportation problematic. Then there is the 10 Min's of weather forcasting that tells us what we know but maybe Ive just gone all Victor Meldrew after a hard year!!;)

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Although no longer a regular subscriber to Gramophone, I know that for some time they had a regular "In the recording studio" column devoted to ongoing projects, and I would certainly see such an item as being appropriate for a News section.

9. bigcol

bigcol Member

I dunno. 4BR is starting to become slightly incredulous with its ever-increasing noise to signal ratio. As the banding world catches up with this phenomena, and adopts a "if you can't beat them, join them" with scatter-gun press releases about every little thing that happens, it's not going to get any better.

I hope the editors take heed and start filtering out content or at least creating a more newspaper-type layout where the main news is headlined and the dross about Timmy getting an award from the trittlington silver 'b' band for tidiest music stand is placed somewhere inside the site.

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- then call itself The Bandsman? :rolleyes:

11. bigcol

bigcol Member

lol. I'm all for the democratic way 4BR lists news, with no emphasis given to the national news or news important to the movement as a whole, but in sensing a free lunch some bandsmen are starting to take liberties with it. Not picking on anyone in particular, but if I see another page with multiple pictures of Chris Wormald I'll scream...:confused:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    news section
    secret marimba players
    album of serious marimba pieces
    Ant
    Dec
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Whilst I take your point to some extent, on the other hand people are always complaining that it is only the big name bands that seem to get any publicity: here is the opportunity for all sorts of news about the smaller fish in the sea to be placed in the public domain, and I for one would not want to lose it. I also agree that there are certain individuals and organisations who tend to feature more frequently, but I would suggest it is up to the rest of us to get our own publicity organised and submit our own items.

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- More and more bands are bringing their news first to tMP since it's more immediate than 4BR or any other banding newscasts. As this site's popularity grows, many will fully appreciate what a great service John (TheMusicMan) has provided.

15. bigcol

bigcol Member

Which is my point - as more 'news' is submitted and posted, the relevance of 4BR becomes diluted. It ceases to be a news service for the brass band world, and to become an aggregator for everyone's news regardless of relevancy or importance. If every band submitted their news no matter how big or small and 4BR published it, it would become unmanageable. I think it has already got there to be honest.

16. 24aw

24aw Member

Well i know self publicizing isn't new, politicians constantly bombard the news papers with cheap mail shots that has helped to water down politics, band wise at one point in there career you couldn't read the bandsman or the other one without seeing the Child's bros and Stephen mead on every page (old habits die hard) Shona white, Russel Grey (old habits die hard) I personally don't mind hearing about a persons trip to Australia as long as its interesting which unfortunately a lot of the time it isn't. Maybe the band press should concentrate on issues that effect our movement like lack of TV coverage, dwindling players, dwindling audience, rubbish test pieces, highlight people doing GREAT work.etc etc I'm not a journalist (some would say they arnt either!!) but surely a little imagination would produce some good WELL BALANCED interesting reporting.

17. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Just a thought, with reference to the quality of stuff 4br reports on, if we as a movement are unable to filter the real news from the drivel that we collectively send in then I reckon the chaps at 4br are in a tight spot.

Either that or they start making it up. Now there's a thought- tabloid brass band online magazine anyone?

18. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

As an advertiser on 4barsrest, I am encouraged to submit to the news section any news concerning new publications or anything else relevant to my output.

19. 24aw

24aw Member

Thanks for stealing my thunder on readers letters btw..lol In fact your much more eloquent than I so you did the right thing!! All I would say about Mr Wormald is Love him or loath him at least he has significantly contributed to the cause unlike many of the nobody's often seen on the site venting there spleen about matters they know nothing about!!

20. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

There is a huge difference between "reporting" and simply publishing whatever comes in the door as a press release. A true news organization edits and verifies information before publishing it, and has strict editorial standards with regards to content, format, style, etc.

I have for some time been disappointed with the editorial standards (or lack thereof) in 4br's News section. Items are frequently posted with spelling or grammar errors, the style of writing is not consistent, and there is often no indication of the source of the information. They do not seem to be "reporting" so much as they are providing a conduit for other persons to provide information. While this may be a useful service, it is not the same as real "reporting".

21. Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas Member

Dave made 4BR's 'Band of the Year' last year, had articles in the Bandsman and been a centrefold (Mr. November) in the Brass Band World.

Best of luck to him. He's also got a nice website: http://www.davedanford.co.uk and is a really top guy.

But don't get all upset if you find that there's loads of info about him there. Websites are like that. Full of stuff. About people.

22. Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas Member

And...

... he carries his own kit!!!!!!!

:eek: