Newport Borough Brass Now Firmly Back

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by jpbray, Nov 6, 2006.

1. jpbray

jpbray Member

Big thanks to Mike Davies MD of Newport Borough Brass Band. Mike has worked extremely hard in bringing the Band back from the brink of extinctions, and this weekend saw something of a watershed. The Band since being reformed went to Pontins for the first time, and thus for the first time entered a true National Contest.
    Newport is a relatively young band with approximately 60% of its players 18 or under. Athough the band came some way down the results table, it was pleasing enough to
    to see Mike's work to-date come to fruition and that the Band can hold its own Nationally in its section.
    Once again Mike, many thanks and long may your association with the Band continue.

2. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

It's really great to see the turn around in the fortunes at Newport Borough. Long may it continue......you were for a while Rogerstone's band to beat so good luck in climbing the sections and returning to where you once were.I'm sure lots of hard work has been put in and that is starting to bear fruit. All the best for Treorchy.......unfortunately I won't be there for the first time in 14 years as I have a concert in Budleigh Salterton that day.

3. It is great to see Newport on the rise again and hopefully the friendship between Cross Keys and Newport will continue for a longtime. There is obviously a bright future at Newport. Also like 2 say that it was a great weekend away with u guys and want to thank the band for making myself and Karla feel so welcome. Going to contests and not playing is something I could get used to(!) Thanks again you are great bunch.

4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Indeed, was good to read Newport continue to persevere and move ever onwards in the rebuilding. I heard you in Weston Super Mare and Mike is certainly doing a grand job.

Good luck to you all.

5. MAW

MAW Member

Thanks Dave . You can and Karla can come again, anytime. :D :D
    Also our great friend Richard. :D :D
    Thank you, Dr.Salmon.:biggrin:

6. MAW

MAW Member

was trying to say
    "You and Karla can come again, anytime". :D :D
    the rest still applies

Tried to edit the post but couldn't find the "edit" button.:oops: :rolleyes:

7. markyboy

markyboy Member

Nice to read about another band on the up again after difficult times.

Just out of interest is this Newport in Gwent as there are a few Newports up and down the country ?

8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Yes Mark, Newport is in Gwent. I played with them for many years and then conducted them for a few - good times, good results.

I wish them the very best.

Just as an incidental: Newport is also the birthplace of tMP :)

9. jesstrom

jesstrom New Member

aw I only just found this post heheh newport has done incredibily well to return to contesting and improve our standards throughout the last few years. Dave and Karla thnakyou both for making pontins, i think we all enjoed your company and i think you both have a little fan club in nbbb! Thankyou to Mike the conductor too and for others who have worked so hard for this band... i so wish i wasn't going away to uni now :(