Newly Written Test pieces - contests.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by falcons1988, Mar 18, 2010.

1. falcons1988

falcons1988 New Member

Hi All
    I have written a new piece of music for Brass Band and it is a 'test' piece in length and difficulty. I would like the band I am currently with to play it at the WSM contest. Is there any committee or something that it has to go through with it being new written and never played before or published?

Any help would be fantastic.

Thanks!

f88

2. nethers

nethers Active Member

If it's an own choice contest your band can turn up with anything that fits with the contest, there is no prescribed list of acceptable music thankfully! Some bands might sense danger taking to the stage with an 'unproven' work however.

If you like the idea of it being selected as a set test somewhere, start by getting a publisher involved and then start speaking to various contest organisers.

3. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Not sure, but I believe many contest "rules 'n' regs" stipulate that own-choice selections must be "published".

[Even if that's true, of course there's nothing to stop you self-publishing, I suppose ... ]

4. nethers

nethers Active Member

I guess all you have to do is put a post on this forum offering your piece for sale and that rule is satisfied!

And if f88 is interested in having the piece published, consider sending me a pm ;)

5. Mode For....

Mode For.... Member

some contests do actually have approved test-piece lists. You are better contacting the contest organisers to discuss.

6. falcons1988

falcons1988 New Member

Does anyone have any contact details for the contest organiser of Weston

7. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

Not sure if this info is still current but the Organiser (the last time I went) was Colin Rossiter 01934 514960 jacolwbrass@yahoo.co.uk