New "York" instruments anyone tried them yet?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bassmittens, Mar 6, 2007.

1. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Hi all,

I saw the new York instruments at the St Georges hall on Saturday. They had an Eb Bass and a Euph (i think?) on one of the trade stands. They both looked really smart, and appeared well made (which i'm sure they are!)

Does anyone have any experience of any of these new instruments at all?

2. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

I am very intrigued to try one - especially as Besson are not making any new Baritones until December 07.

3. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Did Dyke have their brand new set at the area or are they waiting a while?
  4. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

As far as i'm aware they have an 'agreement' with york, if they had all been playing yorks at the area, surely they'd have had them to 'blow in' way before christmas. No mention of that on their website or in the 'triple deal article' on 4br. Not to mention that there aren't any instruments about yet.
  5. chiephonium

chiephonium Member

i think dave childs has probably had a go on one seeing as he is their "clinician"

6. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I may be wrong but I would think players of the calibre to join Dyke have thier own personal instruments that they are in perfect harmony with. I just can't see that they would chop and change just because a new band instument is available.
  7. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

You're quite right for cornets etc, but I've always used a band instrument in every high level band I've been a member of, and I know most bass players don't have their own instrument!
  8. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Im just going by the cover story on the Bandsman!
  9. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

Anyone looking for a baritone could try the LMI ones, my band got one and it's pretty sweet. fairly pricey too, and we did have trouble with the first valve after having had it two weeks, but they sorted that out with no argument so... go for your life... tis v shiny
  10. postie

postie Member

Got Kim from LMI coming to our bandroom at the end of March bringing some instruments along for us to try out.
  11. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Too true, bass players by and large seem used to juggling(!) different instruments, usually variants of older and newer Sovereigns to be fair, but sometimes different makes.

But outside of the basses, the trend is much less so. Euphoniums and baritones it seems to be 50-50, and as you get smaller the "ownership-rate" seems to also go up. Although half of our cornet players use band cornets ...

Yet I just can't see the whole of Dyke switching to York instruments, I'm sure some players who have happily used the same instruments incredibly successfully for many years would not be too happy to change.
  12. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

They were all playing their old Prestige/Sovereigns and Rath Troms at their rehearsal on Saturday evening before the areas... (I was there - check the avatar! :-D)

I took the artilce to suggest that when they re-do their instruments, as they do periodically, they will be made by York.

David Childs is playing his York Euphonium at the moment, he was showing it to CBBBs Solo Euph in her lesson recently.
  13. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Do they sound good - i may well give them a try now Besson are delayed...
  14. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

Yeah it had a nice sound, inasmuch as a euph player can sound good on a bari.

Baritonedeaf, I may not have been paying attention but I was fairly certain Dave was still playing his Prestige in my lesson yesterday. He's also been talking about getting a new Prestige, the redesigned ones, so perhaps he'll keep hold of all three.
  15. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Completely unrelated, but I remember when Dave broke his old euph (well, wasn't technically his fault). It seemed fine, but if you looked closely the pipes were all just a little bit "bent". Unfortunately it was a write-off.

Besides, he's been playing brill on that euph for some time now, hard to see why he wants a new one. You don't see me jumping at these new York and Besson instruments ...

... ah, that'll be because I'm broke ... :)
  16. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

haha same here mate, i'm lucky to be playing on an SM mouthpiece let alone decent euph
  17. I have just got the new Besson 2052 Prestige Euphonium, competitor to the York instruments. It seems in a different league to the Yorks that i saw in Torquay at the regionals there. Build quality is top notch, cannot fault my new instrument and sounds beautiful. I would highly reccomend the Besson's, especially as they aren't much more expensive than York ones.
    My view is that it does show a little desperation of York that they need to go to the extreme of getting Black Dyke on side so early on. Wouldn't good instruments advertise themselves without this massive step...?
  18. Growler

Growler Member

ummm do you not think that it might be because they think they're good instruments? Wish I was speaking from experience but when you're that good you're going to want the best instrument money can buy to play on, and not settle for second best even if you do get sponsorship. I would imagine Black Dyke selected York not the other way around. Players like David Childs wouldnt put their reputation at risk by playing on an instrument they thought was second rate.

Doesn't affect me anyway cos none of them have developed a new Bb Bass yet, not that Id be able to afford one even if they had!
  19. Hey rob, out first conversation on here! I still reckon York NEEDED more than anything some big names on side to get their brand going, so will have paid the likes of Black Dyke and David Childs large sums. Obviously i don't know but from a business mind, any company needs try to get an edge on the others, and without big name players, York wouldn't have much to sell on.
  20. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

I have one here at my house, from Dyke. A York. They're in production now. Seems ok at first try, I'll be playing a bit more on it later in the week.