New York Brass Band and Brassroots

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ratpit, Dec 19, 2011.

1. ratpit

ratpit Member

Have many people had the chance to check out these funky New Orleans style Brass Bands?

Brassroots are based in London and NYBB are based in York, both have great websites and youtube clips. A great advert to get young musicians into playing brass instruments.

www.brassrootsmusic.com
    www.newyorkbrassband.co.uk

Interest in this type of music was helped by a cracking performance by Soul Rebels Brass Band on Jools Holland last month.

I hope this is of interest.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Bands
    brass
    musicians
    performance
    websites
  3. Alasdair123

Alasdair123 New Member

Thank you ratpit! I'll be sure to check out more bands of this genre!

4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

5. leojamesflugel

leojamesflugel New Member

I saw NYBB busking in York a few weeks back. The whole city seemed to stop and listen. Great stuff!!! I then asked one of the trumpet players if they wanted a flugel player (me) and got a business card lol. I'm from York and I'd love to jam with them. We'll see what happens haha. They're very snazzy!

6. ratpit

ratpit Member

Hi leojamesflugel

Glad you enjoyed hearing the NYBB in York. It's been mental in town recently. Send me an email via www.newyorkbrassband.co.uk and we'll get you involved. We've got lots of playing planned over Christmas and the New Year
    James

7. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I was conned by the words Brass Band!

8. Mark Time

Mark Time New Member

I also saw the New York Brass Band in York, on a day trip with family recently. They seemed to have a good crowd watching and be collecting a fair bit of money! We watched them for several tunes they were so good, great mix of jazz/singing/pop etc, great fun to watch/listen to, everyone around us seemed to be enjoying them too.

9. ratpit

ratpit Member

We're not even from New York so you were conned twice
    Brass bands have been around in New Orleans for for about the same amount of time as British Bands. Check out the website and open your mind!!!

10. ratpit

ratpit Member

It's a bit sad that this tread has had little interest
    Fewer kids are taking up brass instruments in the UK but Hypnotic Brass seem to play every major UK festival

Brass teaching in most UK state schools is in decline! kids are playing guitar or just "concentrating on exams"
    Brass bands need to get hip!www.brassrootsmusic.com is a step in the right direction!