New Years Honours

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by alanl58, Dec 31, 2008.

1. alanl58

alanl58 Member

A quick scan of the New Years Honours lists:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/31_01_08_honours.pdf

Does not show anyone from the brass band movement. Surely there must be people who have shown exemplary service who would qualify for an award?

It is up to the members, players, committees, to nominate people, and put "banding on the map" - do not rely upon "the authorities" to do it for you.

So do not be shy, let us all nominate someone who deserves that recognition, after all why should civil servants who are just doing their jobs be the only people who seem qualify for gongs?

I apologise if I have missed someone on the lists, please use the Forum to correctly applaude their award

alanl58

2. iaindrum

iaindrum Member

Wasnt there a couple iof brass banders in the middle of the year who recieved MBE's

3. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Indeed it is. But be prepared to put in a great deal of careful thought about how you write the nomination - the nomination form asks many questions. You will need to know a fair amount of information about the person you are nominating. You will also need letters of support from others, so be prepared to approach them.

The nomination form is obtainable from the Cabinet Office website.

4. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Go on Ian, give Ray a mention ;)

5. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Errrm... what about

Owain Arwel Hughes, for services to Music.

6. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Or Ronnie Rees Davies for his service to dumb animals :clap:

How's it going down South then Ron? ;)

7. David Mann

David Mann Member

Ian Perks for services to the meat industry

8. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Anything about me servicing dumb animals is a vicious rumour.

The Owain Arwel Hughes thing wasnt a suggestion - I was pointing out that he did get an honour today (??tomorrow?) and does have connections with the Brass Band movement. There are a few more people on there with services to 'music and the community' too. Don't know if any of them are band-related.

9. Beesa

Beesa Member

10. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Roland Gibbs for service to the pie industry....:icon_biggrin:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    New Years Honours
    people
    players
    committees
    New Years Honours lists
  12. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Judging by some of the responses to the suggestion that Peter Roberts is worthy of a nomination for an honour, I am sure that some nominators will be put off at the thought of being caught by the Bolsheviks and shot at dawn.

13. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I was surprised not to see JonP's name in the list, for services to to the Championship section!

14. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

It would be better to nominate him for services to bottom crevice oration...

Anyway, moving on... good to see some 'normal' people on the list as ever. Mrs WoodenFlugel works with two awardees (is that the right term???) from the health service. We were trawling through the list earlier and I noticed a couple of bus drivers had been nominated. I love to hear a conversation between them and Lewis Hamilton...;)

In answer to the original post - as well as individiual bands and regional committess shouldn't the BFBB be putting forward nominations too? Isn't this one of the things the BFBB was set up to do?

15. James Yelland

Not really, no. In the first place, the Federation's first duty lies to its members, not to the UK brass band world as a whole. And in any case, it has limited resources which have to be prioritised, and I have no doubt it has many more immediate things to worry about.

The original poster bemoaned the lack of brass band representation in the NYH list. I, in all seriousness, pointed out how anyone sufficiently concerned about the matter can submit a nomination. The general tenor of the subsequent conversation does not suggest to me that anyone is particularly keen to put in the necessary work. As with so many other things in the band world, the matter is Very Important, but is something that someone else ought to be doing.

If you (you generally, that is,not you Mr Flugel) think the matter is important, here is the web address where you can find the nomination form and notes on how to write a citation:

http://www.honours.gov.uk/nominate.aspx

A couple of years ago I nominated someone from the band world for an Honour, but without success. I hope you all have better luck. One bit of advice - if you do nominate someone, resist the temptation to talk about it. It can cause embarrassment, not least to the nominee, and may also scupper the whole project.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  16. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

From the BFBB's website:

I'm sure you are already well aware of the BFBB's stated objective, James. But to me the "represent and promote" part of that statement means that it (the BFBB) should be gregarious and pro-active, and this is a case where they could get some free promotion for our movement. They were heavily involved in the recent parliamentary campaign for brass bands, and I don't see this as any different. I take the point about resources etc but anyone can blame a lack of resources for not doing stuff, its a case of prioritising what is important and sticking to that - obviously we beg to differ on what we want to see the BFBB doing in this case. Anyway, the merits of the BFBB are not really something to discuss in this particular thread.

What I will say is this, and this was the point I was trying to get across: I'm sure your nomination was valid, and well deserved, but don't you think that nomination would've carried more "clout" with the people who decide these things if it was backed by a national body set up to represent the movement? Other minority pursuits have them so why not us? And if it isn't the BFBB, then who is it?

17. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

he loves his pork swords does our Perksy

18. Bones

Bones Member

Not a very PC comment for a Mod is it Ian........

Whatever the opinion of JonP, a personal opinion should be just that personal.

And please note, the only thing Jon and I have in common is the trombone. I happen to respect his musicality a lot.

He is outspoken I know, and I have happily debated with him on here, intelligently and without recourse to petty name calling, such is the beauty of an open forum.

Anyway, as for on topic stuff, this seems to be a bug bear. Do we have a national body who we should look towards for guidance in terms of honours, I dont think we do. Should we look to the regions to do, I dont know. My point of view, is if you and yours think a person is worthy of an honour, such as Ray Sykes, Robert Morgan, Alan Lawton, then nominate them yourself, cos I dont think anyone else will.

Cheers

Rich

19. James Yelland

Indeed I am. But as you can see, it is a very wide ranging brief , which is what I meant when I said that I was sure it has other more immediate things to attend to. (And, incidentally, note the word 'member' in the mission statement). You rightly mention its involvement in the parliamentary campaign, and you could have mentioned many other things as well. But, to reiterate, the BFBB has limited resources, so it is right that it should prioritise those things which only it can do (such as the parliamentary lobbying or organising the English Championships), while those things which others can do - such as nominating people for gongs - should quite rightly be given less priority.

No. The 'clout', as you call it, comes entirely from the achievements of the individual him/herself and how those achievements are articulated in the citations by the nominator and his/her supporters. The identity of the nominator is of no consequence at all. I might also add that nobody - neither the nominee, nor anyone else - ever knows who nominated them, and it is considered a breach of etiquette for the nominator to reveal his or her identity, so they can't get any 'kudos' from revealing their part in the process. And in any case, unless I have misunderstood the process, nominations can only be made by individuals, not organisations.

I refer you to my earlier answers. It's you. And me. And other individuals. The mechanism is in place - all we have to do is do it!

20. James Yelland

After writing the above reply, it occurred to me that this time last year the chairman of the BFBB himself, Robert Morgan, received an honour, and looking back at the news story I was surprised to read that he knew the identity of his nominator. I still contend that this represents a breach of etiquette, although there is of course no way of stopping someone telling a nominee that they intend to nominate them if they have a mind to.

The main point though is that the nominator was just an ordinary member of the public. As I said - nominations from members of the public carry exactly the same clout as any official or authoritative body.

21. James Yelland

Hear hear. Although as mentioned above, re Mr Morgan - someone already has!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    New Years Honours
    people
    players
    committees
    New Years Honours lists