New Year's Honours

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by timbloke, Dec 30, 2006.

1. timbloke

timbloke Member

Just been reading on the beeb about the latest round of Honours. I've not read the list of who's getting what, but how often do bandsmen, composers, conductors etc. get listed in the honours, and are more getting recognised today than, say, 20 years ago, are less, or is it the same. I don't know anyone who has been honoured, but should (or has) Goff Richards, or Philip Sparke, or Richard Evans, or maybe even tMM get recognised for services to banding/music?
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

There's at least one in this today's list:

Kenneth Kelley. Bandmaster, Burghclere Primary School Brass Band, Berkshire. For services to Music Education, Newbury - gets an MBE.
  3. JR

JR Member

Alan Lawton was honoured recently..
    If Philip Sparke/Goff Richards why not Edward Gregson/Philip Wilby
    If Dick Evans why not Peter Parkes or Jim Scott etc etc
    THe whole round of archaic MBE/OBE/CBE nonsense needs to scrapped - look who's in the latest mix - Rod Stewart! - come on what's it for? services to women?
    Can't be for services to music surely! ok if it is for music why hasnt Jeff Beck got one? or Noel Gallagher?
    Couldnt we as a minimum get rid of the British Empire references?

4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Fully agree with this: June Sarpong? For gawds sake! :roll:

Hah! But only blonde women remember. I'm surprised the Queen allowed it, being a (former) brunette...;)

Seriously though, the system is massively flawed, but I guess its a case of playing it to your advantage. The media seem to have it off to a tee - look at soome of the previous medals dished out to "personalities" whose careers have struggled to be any more than average.

Maybe it's time we as a movement started to play this system and nominate some worthwhile people. All we need is a decent place to generate support for the nominations. Oh, hang on, you have the perfect place right here!
  5. 24aw

24aw Member

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Don't get me going on this one, the whole honors thing winds me up so much i could explode. The perennial mutual back slapping by the old Etonians, awards to rich people for .............being rich, Acknowledgment of medical researchers who seem to become incredibly fat by conveniently not finding cures for things, and now there is the modern day phenomena of celebs and sportsman getting awards for...................being celebs and sportsmen. Why has Steven Gerrard (fine footballer he is) got a award? Isn't the adulation by the great un-washed and the millions of pounds in the bank account praise enough? I would award people gongs who have unselfishly given there lives, money, family, marriages, to noble causes. There is a chap i know who has organized a band summer school for years now, he spends all year trying to get funding only to see it being denied to him because he didn't fill this in correctly, didn't apply early enough, didn't bow to the relevant politicians. Or he sees earmarked funding go to stupid causes like the building of mosques and the funding social workers for immigrants. How about him being acknowledged or the likes of Messrs Nicholson,Minshall,Boddice,Wormald etc etc who put there lives on hold turning out talented, well balanced kids who play fantastically well instead of smashing up bus shelters. Some times when i see these honors being handed out its almost as if its the governments part of a deal............surley not eh!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  6. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

So nominate him then. Anyone can nominate anyone else. If you don't like the fact that your mate doesn't get any acknowledgement, do something about it! :rolleyes: If nobody nominates him, the Cabinet Office who administer the lists are unlikely to be aware of his existence, let alone the good work he does.
  7. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

i agree aswell.. Steven Gerrard for God's sake, what's he honored for? His inability to take penalties??
  8. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Hey hands off Mr Rod Stewart he's been at the top of the music business for nearly 40 years. He is an highly regarded international performer and music he has written is recognised the world over.
    Putting your personal preferences for brass aside, I would say he is as deserving for an award for services to music as any of the afore mentioned composers Sparke, Wilby, Richards etc. (more so if we are honest).

June Sarpong? - well that's another matter all together:mad:
  9. masefield

masefield Member

Interesting debate - there is another composer in the list who does not appear to have been mentioned and that is Guy Woolfenden (although I do appreciate that he is not a Brass Band figure).
  10. 24aw

24aw Member

yeh and he's a adulterer, vain and a dreadfull singer, surely he's been rewarded enough by his multi millions and his plethora of young nubile women that seem to surround him.

mick jagger got a gong last year and he along with Mc Cartney is a self confessed drug user ........fine exsample that sets eh!!
    As for June Sarpong.if she is who i think she is its just plain tokenism which is another sad direction the honors system seems to have taken recently!!:mad:
  11. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy Member

In my view nobody should get an honour for doing their job, with the exception of gallantry medals for the armed services.

Footballers, musicians, politicians etc are doing a job that they generally get either pretty well paid for or it's seen as glamourous.

These awards should go to charity workers, foster parents etc. ie people giving freely of their own time to benefit the lives of others without asking for compensation.
  12. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more

13. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

was malcom arnold not sir malcom arnold????
  14. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member