New Years Eve - Resolutions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Roger Thorne, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

New Years Eve is always a time for reflecting on the previous twelve months, but also a time to look forward to the 'New Year'. It's a time to think about the changes we want (or need) to make and to follow those changes throughout the coming twelve months.

You may want to spend more time with your Family or Get Fit and become Healthier. You may want to give up Smoking or Drinking (or even both!)

The list is endless, so what changes do you propose to make (and keep) tonight?

2. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Where do I start??

I resolve to win the lottery.
    I resolve to try and encourage the 'powers that be' to use pieces for Area and National finals that bandsmen and women will actually enjoy listening to and playing.

Finally, I resolve to not be too scared to tell our MD that I wont be there on March the 4th for the final rehearsal before the areas on the sunday.:icon_redface:

I think the final one might prove to be the most challenging!!!

Edit: No worries Darren the final rehearsal is on the 10th! (RT)
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2005
  3. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

I don't normally do New Year resolutions because I have never stuck to them in the past! For those that are able to make and stick to them I admire tremedously, because most of the time we set ourselves up to fail, and that's not a good feeling. However, this last year I made a serious attempt to stop smoking (although it didn't last!) and I know I need to try again for health reasons if nothing else, so:

My New Year Resolution is to try not to have a cigarette. Psychologically, I do better than when I say "stop smoking"! I've got my lozengers ready (again), but hopefully because I really, really, want to stop as compared to previous attempts when I felt I should stop, I'm hoping I may be more successful!
  4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

My New Year's Resolution is to give up making resolutions that I have no hope of keeping!! :wink:

Seriously, I need to get fitter this year.....

Happy New Year everyone!
  5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

My objectives for 2006:

New job that keeps me closer to home
    Lose the stone in weight I have gained following my operation
    Continue to build, develop and promote tMP
    Show off with my new J13 TMP number plate :)
  6. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I'm giving up drinking alcohol! (The bottles of Malt whisky I got for Christmas are exempt, for as long as it takes for me to drink them.) :)
  7. vonny

vonny Member

Hi John,

Wonderful objectives... I much prefer the word 'objectives' than 'resolutions'

I have reflected much on the past twelve months and although i have experienced some lovely times i have also experienced some challenging ones. I guess i have been so wrapped up in myself, that i have had a tendency to 'neglect' my responsibilities. In September i began the PGCE course and i have found my time taken up with the heavy load of coursework. I really enjoy the course and i am going to strive on because i want to reap the rewards at the end - in may, of becoming a qualified teacher.
    This coming year i am going to spend more time with my children as i feel i haven't done as much as i could have in the past. Also i am going to begin a new chapter in my banding career, which is to go back and play the instrument i love (cornet) and to settle in band.

Yvonne x
  8. Di

Di Active Member

Snap! :icon_sad:
  9. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Only the one stone? I've got at least two to lose, and I haven't even got the excuse of having had an operation :icon_sad:
  10. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

My objectives for 2006 are as follows:

1. To lose a bit of weight and get toned up
    2. To go to a few more band practices :icon_cool:
    3. To find the time to practice more
    4. Cleanse, tone and moisturise!!!!:icon_rolleyes:
    5. Make time for myself this year
    Rach x
  11. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

I dont normally make them either, because they are never kept.

But next year a few objectives of mine might be:

1) Exercise and get fit (but frankly its probably not gonna happen :icon_confused: )
    2) Practice more.
    3) To finally get and keep a full time job. :icon_rolleyes:
    4) Maybe meet that special someone...
    5) Play more golf, the last few years at uni have meant not as much golf time as i would have liked.
    6) Be more pro-active...though in certain areas that'll probably be a non-starter as well.
  12. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I'm going to be happy.
  13. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Sounds like you already are ???
  14. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Thought of more now.

Play trombone again - I've been saying this for a while but Wem may find that their spare trombone is kidnapped for an extended period of time sometime this year!!

To learn to play tuned percussion properly and to take more time over the tuned perc parts rather than just passing them to someone else! Yeah, and while I'm at it I'm going to win the lottery too!!:icon_cheesygrin: (well it's about as likely)

After Mr. Thorne edited my earlier post, another resolution really needs to be to sort out the correct dates for our area contest.:icon_rolleyes:

I resolve not to make my boss's life difficult this year and to be generally nice to all the people I come into contact with during my working day.:icon_twisted:

That'll do for now.

B. Puss
  15. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

I'm going to take Will's lead and have a happy year....
  16. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

I'm giving up chocolate! and I'm also going to get me some cornet lessons (hopefully!) and learn to drive :D (I got 5 lessons of father christmas!)
  17. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Some of the usual "cut downs" and "take ups" for me:
    1. Cut down on the drinking - (I've drunk far too much this Christmas) I'm not giving it up, just cutting down a bit.
    2. Cut down on the 50+ hour weeks at work, and spend more time with family and friends, although looking at my workload next year and the upcoming projects I'm not sure that's gonna happen. :icon_confused:
    3. Practice more - New flugel (when it eventually arrives) will help here. :icon_cheesygrin:
    4. Take up the offer of gym membership that is part of my salary package - I'm determined not to be someone who signs up to a gym in January goes three times in one week and never returns. I'm lucky that the offer from work is to pay so much towards membership, so I will get joint membership with the missus and we'll go togther. At least thats the plan.
    Will I manage to do them? I don't know I lasted till about April last year (with pretty much the same list!!) and then lapsed so I reckon I can do better this year.
  18. groovy

groovy Active Member

Work hard at school and get 5As in my prelims and final exams.
    Move up a few chairs at NYBBS hopefully from 1st bari to euph.
    Pass my Grade 8.
    ^ Practise scales more and work on music theory.
    Take over my mum's job of walking the dog in the morning (aka don't be late for school so often).
  19. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

I'm going to join a gym!
  20. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I've got a few resolutions this time, none of which sound particularly fun :icon_rolleyes:
    • REVISE properly...only 11 days til exams start, eek!
    • Practise euph and piano for at least an hour each day
    • Stop being scared of solos :icon_cool:
    • Go to the gym more than than last year (ie at least 5 times!)
    • Work through frees
    • Bribe my boyfriend into playing for my band :tongue:
    • And finally, refrain from sending embarrassing messages to random famous brass players :oops: