New year, new term...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Big Twigge, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Right, the new year 'starting on the 10th' diet has officially started. THis involves trying to:
    Eat more healthily
    Drinking less(this doesn't mean not drinking, just a little less).
    Purchasing a work out dvd/video (any recommendations?) I don't want to go to the gym - far too many fit, sweaty people found there!

Anybody else embarking on a New Year Diet? Moral support could be offered or required!!
  2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

My diet was to move to England ;)

It involves eating smaller portions...
    Walking almost everywhere...
    As much beer as I care to drink...
    Curry instead of Pizza...
    ...but avoid the chip shops (they're the devil)

I've slowly, but steadily been losing weight...about 1.5 stone in 5 months.
    (Popcorn instead of crisps helps too)

I figure I'll try to lose another 1.5 stone by Summer and then maybe go jogging or hiking or summat
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hey Pat, Diana won't be leaving you alone now then eh;)
  4. DublinBass

I might be looking more fit (althought not much), but I still have to overcome my personality ;)
  5. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Yes, please!
    I'm doing WeightWatchers with my friend but I'm not going to the classes cos I object to paying £20 a month just to be told I'm fat. She's going to go and get all the stuff and then we'll photocopy it. [disclaimer: v. naughty, not advocating copyright infringement in any shape or form]
    EvilDaddyBadger is going to weigh me each week and not tell me how much I weigh, only how much I've lost or gained. I am a moral and physical coward and I really don't want to know.
    Why is it so dammned hard?!
    Best of luck, PM me if you want to discuss further!
  6. HBB

HBB Active Member

I'm gouing back to good ol' Slimming World.

Lost 3 stone already, want to loose about another 1.5 though.

Good luck to everyone!
  7. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

My problem isn't so much the loosing weight bit, it's the exercise bit that kills me(or to be honest I just ignore, but the result of that combination isn't very attractive, so this time I'm going to do it differently!!) I've been told my our very own cornetgirl that Davina's DVD is a good one, so I may have to purchase it!!

Also, I have no scales here, so it may have to be the 'how tight are my clothes' diet!
    Good Luck!
  8. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

I have also started my diet today and had Darrol weigh and measure me :oops:
    I am starting walking and also going to go swimming a couple of times a week at the Mess, would like to lose a stone or two before the summer :cool:

There aren't any slimming clubs here but I did go to a circuit training thingy and nearly killed myself!!!

Good luck to everyone on your diets, I know how hard it is to get motivated but we should all help each other out with it :D

9. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

A few silly people at work also wanted to reduce their BMIs, so they came up with this idea to set targets for everyone (reach a certain BMI within x months and stay constant for a certain time after that). They weigh themselves every morning (after a fixed morning ritual) and putl these in an Excell-sheet, so that the entire office can follow their progress :shock: (or non-progress in certain cases :D). There are also "punishments"foreseen for people that don't reach their endtarget (buying the others beer ;)).

Makes a good laugh though... (especially when there is a sudden "jump" in someone's BMI :biggrin: )

But seriously, I do think it can be possitive when there is "social pressure" involved in a diet, just as for people who try to quit smoking...
  10. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I was all up for a weekly online weigh-in but my fellow tmperer dieter has been very quiet on the subject and left me all alone! (plus the no scales part may make it a little tricky....)
  11. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I did that sort of thing with my Mum a year or so ago. I compiled a spreadsheet and we e-mailed each other our weights every week. The only thing is that I lost a lot more weight a lot more quickly than she did so she gave up after a while. It motivated me though (not that I'm competitive or anything...).
  12. rutty

rutty Active Member

Actually, fish and chips get a bit of a bad press when it comes to fat content. As long as the chippy is a good one and they fry at the right temperatures with some good oil then the battered fish is positively good for you! Even the chips won't be so bad, just order a small portion.

Curry, on the other hand, tends to be the fattest, most calorie-laden foodstuff you can eat. My ex used to do weight-watchers and the currys were always lots of points. Pizza is bad though, don't eat that if you're a bit chubby ;)

I'm as slim as a rake so I'm allowing myself the odd curry/fish n chips/pizza but I do eat fairly healthily. This year I aim to get more exercise and drink more water :)
  13. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

do a sponsored diet for the band ;) get people to sponsor you 10p for every pound you lose or something- with a number of people in the band taking part it could be a bit of a fundraiser!!
  14. twigglet

twigglet Member

I'm trying to drink more water too, but I find it really hard to have the amount you're supposed to (2 litres)... just makes me pee loads and look like I have a little problem

As an incentive for me and my flat mates we've stuck pictures of skinny celebrities on our fridge so we think twice before eating that tub of ice cream or three.... it works really well!
  15. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I read somewhere that the idea of drinking 2 litres of water a day is rubbish. If you're not getting dehydrated through heat or whatever (lets face it that's pretty unlikely in the UK in January :-( ) then your body can only absorb so much - a couple of glassfulls. All the rest has to go somewhere, hence the regular trips to the toilet.

I suppose it can't hurt you physically, and it probably keeps your "water works" well flushed out, but drinking that amount of water a day just makes me feel like some kind of water-filled balloon. :-?

(I can't believe I've just written a post about "waterworks" while eating my dinner...:shock: )
  16. rutty

rutty Active Member <---- supports the lack of evidence for having to drink 8 glasses <---- lose weight by drinking, er, 8 glasses a day!

Most of these health "experts" that come on telly will say that many people don't drink enough during the day. I'm one of those, so I have one of those 8 glasses water container thingies that looks like a water cooler. I try and get through it in a day, what I don't need gets flushed out.

I don't actually often drink it all but I do feel a bit better for it. I don't need to lose weight by I do need to up my concentration levels (a symptom of dehydration) ;)

Plenty about it on Google for both sides
  17. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I generally drink 3-4 biggish glasses of water a day, I reckon that must be about 1.5-2 pints (0.8-1.1 litres). I feel better if I drink water throughout the day than if I don't. Any more has me feeling bloated and rushing to the toilet every 5 minutes (accompanied by disapproving looks from my boss :shock: ). It doesn't ring true to me that you can lose weight just by drinking large amounts of water.

Anyway I'd be sceptical of any claims made on a website called "colonhealth" ;)

I think we'd better get back on topic before we get modded....;) :-?
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  18. rutty

rutty Active Member

I reckon were around the topic somewhere. I'd quite like a healthier colon for the new year :)
  19. DublinBass

Really, the easiest way to tell if you are dehydrated is the colour of your urine. To give you an idea of the two extremes...iIf it's almost clear, your in pretty good shape. If when your urinate it is quite yellow and you even see what likes like underwater yellow clouds form when it hits the resevoitr...your in trouble.

Being properly hydrated it key to losing weight.
  20. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

I'm going back to Weightwatchers counting points only without paying stupid amounts to get weighed!

We have Fat Club at work which is working OK so far until the others give up and start on chips while I'm eating carrot sticks (which are very tasty!)

Davina's DVD is good, as is Yogalates if you can keep up - for something involving deep breathing it goes blummin quick!!!

Also..... try dancing! Booked Beaker in for pre-wedding dance lesson with the divine Anton (I now have his mobile no!) off SCD and that IS good for getting fit!

Rach x (hiding fm BMB...)