New Trumpet/Trombone Mouthpiece Size Charts

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by MUSICandCHARACTER, Feb 1, 2004.

MUSICandCHARACTER New Member

2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Very informative website and some very interesting comparisons... I hadn't realised just how large Bass Trom mouthpieces could get! Are some of those ultra-large signature series specials actually used by the players that endorse them? I'd always understood that the professional standard (over here anyway) was equivalent to the VB 1 1/2 G, and have generally found that banding amateurs using mouthpieces bigger than this do not have the control to either play high or nicely reliably. In the situations in which I have heard the use of them, such mouthpieces also often result in overmatching the section sound, destroying any notion of balance in the Trombone section; I have heard some very good bands display this fault prominently! I know that this technique is to some degree expected in the brass band sound, but taste sets limits, especially when playing as a section.

A minor quibble on terminology - on your Bass Trom page, you refer to the double trigger low C as "pedal"; my understanding is that "pedal" is equivalent to "1st harmonic", but this note is a 2nd harmonic - the 1st is an 8ve lower.

Happy VB 1 1/4 G user

MUSICandCHARACTER New Member

I do believe I agree with your view on the the bigger equipment. Outside of Mr. Yeo, most players in the USA play too loud on the bass and often with varying degrees of control. Not necessarily in the competitive brass bands, as they take better care. But certainly in the wind ensembles and the orchestras. The mouthpieces are getting even larger. The new ones coming out may be a 1/2 mm larger!

Unfortunately, the "bigger is better" movement in the US is really a "bigger is louder" movement and I believe it has led to "bigger is less musical" results.

You may be right on the pedal terminology. I thought the pedal tones terminology came from where the organ played the pedals literally. I'm not sure even where that starts. But the first harmonic makes a lot of sense. I think I will use your definition unless someone has a definitive definition.

One of the reasons I am a fan of "British Brass Bands" as we call them here and Drum Corps is the musicality with which they play. Blending is still important, along with intonation, rhythm, and group style. It is unfortunate that US Orchestras do not take this kind of blending very serious. They may sound good in recordings where the sound can be "mixed" professionally -- but they don't sound that good in person.

Brass Bands and competitive drum corps are a delight to hear in person.