New to the Cornet

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by bassmike200, Jun 13, 2012.

1. bassmike200

bassmike200 New Member

I'm a guitarist & Bassist (or at least those are the instruments I've played longest), recently turned vocalist in a rock band, recently acquired a Cornet which I am attempting to play and looking out for any hints tips or opportunities which may crop up, I had the crazy idea of using my Cornet in a rock band but in order to do that I need to know how to play it, I figure once I have the rudiments my best bet would be to join a group and get some practice and experience that way, I would appreciate any hints or tips anyone may have & would be interested to see if there are any local groups I can join to get myself started.

Cheers

Mike.

2. CornetJem

CornetJem Member

Definitely join a brass band! It is more interesting than just following a tutor book, as there is a wider variety of music to play and you make new friends too! Also, I personally improved much quicker being in a group than practicing on my own at home. With new music comes sight reading, and that is a very valuable skill to have in music, as I am sure you know.

Also, I love your idea about combining cornet and rock! I am a fan of rock music and I am a cornet player so I think that could be interesting :)