New to the brass band world ......

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by silverpigeon, May 19, 2008.

1. silverpigeon

silverpigeon New Member

Hello,

Just thought it courteous to write an intro.

I'm new to the brass/silver band world (from a playing perspective), though living in Saddleworth all my life, Whit Friday and brass bands are a part of life, tradition and a BIG part of our year.

Always wanted to join a band and play an instrument so am 'starting' with the most expressive instrument I know - the B flat bass - which I'm assuming from trolling is written Bb bass (please correct me if I'm mistaken)

I can't play, but can (kinda) read music.

Looking forward to a lot of practice, hard work and laughs.

My screen name isn't owt to do with music, its the name of my favourite shotgun [Beretta Silver Pigeon] ...... my other hobby is game & clay pigeon shooting.

Everyone seems real friendly on here, so if you're a Bb bass player, expect some queries & lots of questions from an eager novice

Kind regards to all

2. Rodney

Rodney Member

Well hello Silver Pigeon frm a long way south of where you are.

I'm hoping to come to the Whit Friday march in 2010......with any luck so I'll have a beer with you - and hopefully, a lot of other people on tMP.

Cheers

3. Di

Di Active Member

Hi and :hi to tMP, and to the world of brass banding. :)

You'll certainly be able to pick up lots of tips and info and we look forward to hearing about your progress. :tup

4. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I'm not an expert myself, but some people claim it is written as BBb bass (something to do with the instrument being an octave lower than other Bb instruments, like the euphonium and baritone) :rolleyes:

Welcome to the site!

5. TubaPete

TubaPete Member

And some write it as BBb Bass to designate it as a larger bore than the old Bb Basses!

Welcome to the world of tubas, silverpigeon - a place where nothing's as straight forward as it looks.

Pete

6. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Bit like the instrument I play as well, SilverPidgeon. Ive done a bit of clay and game shooting in the past. Got 9 out ten clays on my first try!!! I play EEb Bass, as opposed to Eb Bass!! Same principle as the BBb Bass,

Have fun!!

7. Jan H

Ah, I didn't know that. That could be the reason too...

8. silverpigeon

silverpigeon New Member

Hello, and thanks to all for the welcome received.

Whilst I've been driving around today, a thought has occurred to me, which I'm sure someone will help me with .....

When I've learned which valves, or combination thereof, give which note - will this then transpose to other instruments ?

ie: If I know what the three 'main' valves do on a Bb bass, does the same valve produce the same note on, say, a cornet ?

Apologies if its an over-simplistic question ....... as an engineer its just one of the many such questions which occasonally pop into my head to say 'Hello' :D

Never ask an engineer to explain something ...... he might do ! :biggrin: :biggrin:

9. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

yes thats correct all valves do the same on every instrument!

The only difference is that by changing say for example from BBb bass to EEb bass the pitch of each note is different!

Just out of interest,, are you having lessons from a bass teacher? Or any brass teacher for that matter?

chris

10. Jan H

Yes it will, but in another octave.
    Both instruments (cornet and BBb bass) are "transposing instruments" in B flat.

On your instrument, a C in "instrument pitch" (= the note that is written on your part) is actually a Bb in "concert pitch"(= when played on e.g. a piano)

It's differnet for Eb instruments (Eb bass, tenor horn and soprane cornet). When they play a C instrument pitch, it sounds as an Eb in concert pitch.

Outside the brass band world, there are brass instruments in othe rpitches as well: trumpets in C, A, ... french horns in F, tubas in C and F, etc.

The trombone is sort of an outsider. The instrument is actually a Bb instrument (when the slide is closed, it sounds as a Bb concert pitch), but apart from in brass bbnds, trombone parts are usually written in concert pitch (C). In a bras band, the tenor trombone parts are written in Bb, the bass trombone part is written in C

I hope I'm making sense here ;)

one difference is that a cornet doesn't have a fourth valve, like most basses and euphoniums (but not all)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bb bass
    Beretta Silver Pigeon
    Kind
    B
    Whit Friday
  12. brassbandmaestro

If you not having lessons from a professional teacher, I may, adise you to have some!! If you have problems, he/she may be able to sort them out for you. Althoug we dont mind at all helping you out here with any.

13. silverpigeon

silverpigeon New Member

To all whom have enquired - yjamk you, but yes I will be having lessons.:D

I am far from intelligent enough to be able to teach myself to play such an instrument

14. Rodney

Rodney Member

I've been playing EEb bass in my band for something like six months only and am also something of a novice when it comes to an instrument with four valves.

I discovered last night that I MUST play C# below the stave using valves 2 and 4. This probably comes as second nature to you more experienced bass players out there - tell you what, it's so much more in tune rather than playing it with valves 1, 2, and 3 :)

Must break my old '3 valve only' habbits.

Hooroo

15. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

:hi Hello and welcome from sunny (yes it is!) Scotland!

I bow to your already superior abilities in taking on an Instrument with 4 valves (3 is quite enough for me!). :clap:

Get stuck in lad and make use of the people who are here. We don't bite..... well most of us don't!;)

16. brassbandmaestro

Hi there Rodney!! Good on you for starting to play the best instrument in the band(ha ha!!). Yes, the 4th valve does come in handy for bottom C#! Also, pedal G, only the 4th valve! And the ocatve extra you get with the 4th valave, just use the 4th, and then the usual combies for the other notes, eg, E, 1,2 & 4, etc.

17. Rodney

Rodney Member

Cheers BBMaestro. Am absolutely loving sitting at the back of the band and making all of those 'base' notes. Still not good at it though but am very trying (in more ways than one) :)

See ya

18. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of brass silverpigeon, as you have found, all you have to do is ask, there are no silly questions, just somebody needing an answer.
    For the record, I consider myself still a newbie on cornet after eight years, and at the age of 59 now, soon to be sixty.
    Also work as an engineer, looking after injection moulding machines.

19. brassbandmaestro

Practice makes you better!!

20. flugelman

flugelman Member

I know how you feel Rodney. I've just gone on to EEb Bass a month ago after 28 years on cornet/flugel. This fourth valve thing was a mystery to start with however I do seem to be getting there now.

21. jerseylugs

jerseylugs New Member

Here's another thing that'll confuse you with the 4th valve. May not be as relevant for you yet as it's unlikely that you'll be pitching that high but top F, F# and G can also benefit from using 4th valve. You'll find it much easier for intonation.

Welcome to the wonderful world of lower brass and congratulations on not being seduced by those flashy high pitched instruments!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bb bass
    Beretta Silver Pigeon
    Kind
    B
    Whit Friday