New to British Brass World

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by jukrauss, Sep 14, 2018.

1. jukrauss

jukrauss New Member

Hi, I am Juergen, grew up (musically speaking) in a German town band of 50 where my father still plays trombone, starting with trombone at the age of 12. I spent some time in the Early Music scene playing baroque trombones, and then had some time off, after coming to Britain.
    I restarted trombone about 6 years ago, playing in Brighton and Hove Concert Orchestra, and now in the Sussex Jazz Orchestra, where my son joins me, also on trombone. On Visits to my parents we play 3 -generation-trombone-trios!
    I haven't yet got in touch with the British Brass Band scene, but am very tempted to enter this year's Foden youth and solo competition, with a jazz duet (parent/child) and maybe a slow solo for myself.
    What is the standard there? Does anyone have a repertoire recommendation? I am thinking of the slow movement of the Casterede sonatina, or maybe a Mahler song.
    Anyway, Thanks for letting me be part of this, and looking forward to your ideas,
    Juergen

2. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

Welcome to tmp (the mouth piece).

I can’t answer your questions on the Foden’s competition but suggest that you contact the organisers - by telephone if possible - and discuss what they are looking for and what pieces have been played in recent years.

You might not know but two of the three Trombone chairs in a Brass Band play in treble clef and one in bass clef. If you can read Treble clef then Brass Bands offer an enjoyable contrast to Wind Bands and Orchestras. You might not know of the British Trombone Society but they are worth looking out too, in some locations they organise Trombone Choirs. It’s quite an experience to play within a Trombone Choir.

I hope that the above is of assistance in some way and that you enjoy tmp.

3. jukrauss

jukrauss New Member

Hi 2nd tenor,
    Thanks a lot for your reply.
    I am with the BTS, and had some great time at the annual gatherings.
    Clefs are no issue here, i am used to c clefs, treble clef in concert pitch and Bb (also just done my ABRSM Grade 5 Euphonium)

Cheers

4. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

The Fodens competition is open to all standards, just sign up and come along!

5. jukrauss

jukrauss New Member

Thanks for the encouragement, Andy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice